3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wensel Bros pig gig  (Read 7453 times)

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wensel Bros pig gig
« Reply #220 on: February 23, 2009, 07:19:00 PM »
Oh wow man! Bummer   :(   I was expecting you guys to be covered up in hogs   :(
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #221 on: February 23, 2009, 09:57:00 PM »
Robtatto, we were expecting it as well.  Gene & Barry did everything they could, but it was just no use. the ranch house and bunk houses were very nice and we had free fun of the place there were just no hogs to be found. I hunted dark to dark, walked 5-10 miles a day and sat at a feeder the first and last few hours each day and I saw a total of 3 hogs and that was 1/2 hour after dark and on my way out.

from what we were told they did some trapping back in October and the biologist survey done after the trapping only produced 61 hogs on 10,000 plus acres.  about 1 hog per 83 acres.  not very good odds.  they also said there were only a few javi's on the ranch, but we saw more of them than hogs and they were off limits.

we did get in on a little jack rabbit hunting at night around camp.  i think we ended up with 4 or 5 rabbits.  

any way that's why it's called hunting and not killing.  still had a good time and it was nice catching up with old friends and meeting new ones.

looking forward to next year already!
>~Rob~>

"Dad, I need to sit down I'm shaking to bad" my 12 year old son the first time he shot at a deer with his bow.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _

Offline Missouri CK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #222 on: February 23, 2009, 10:06:00 PM »
Are the week 4 guys hunting the same ranch as the week 3 group?

Chris
Life ain't a dress rehearsal.

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #223 on: February 23, 2009, 10:08:00 PM »
I'm really sorry to hear that guys! It's always better to have some action.
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #224 on: February 23, 2009, 10:14:00 PM »
nope, week 4 guys are hunting a known ranch and should have a good hunt.  the week 3 hunt was an unknown.  Gene & Barry were going on what they thought was very good info that just didn't pan out. I think had the ranch folks not done the trapping and had the gun hunters blasting pigs back in October we may have had a little more success. who knows, it is what it is. regardless I had a great time and will be back at it next year on one of Gene & Barry's pig gig hunts.
>~Rob~>

"Dad, I need to sit down I'm shaking to bad" my 12 year old son the first time he shot at a deer with his bow.

Offline Gary Logsdon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #225 on: February 23, 2009, 11:34:00 PM »
This week they're back at the Vinson Ranch, same as week 1.  Next week will be the last hunt for 2009 - same place as week 2.  I'm leaving Sat. for that hunt.  It's going to be HOT in south Texas.  Snow on the ground here!
Gary Logsdon

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #226 on: February 24, 2009, 08:45:00 AM »
Gary good luck on your hunt next week. we had pretty good weather just didn't have the hogs, or at least they didn't cooperate.  

Any way give the brothers a little ribbing    :knothead:    for the week 3 crew. tell em we are really bad mouthing them.    :bigsmyl:     that ought to get em stirred up and telling some good stories.

tell Gene you heard he was trying just about anything to lure in one of those pigs. that you heard he even resorted to drinking in the blind as well as filling it up with corn.     :biglaugh:
>~Rob~>

Offline IndianaBowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #227 on: February 24, 2009, 12:34:00 PM »
Any week 3 updates? The hog killing machine Jeff Holchin is on the hunt and if there's a pig within 50 miles it will run to Jeff and stand still long enough for him to shoot it 3 or 4 times. Luckiest pig hunter that ever walked the earth. I hear it has something to do with him smelling like a sow in heat. Comes natural too!

Offline Gary Logsdon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #228 on: February 25, 2009, 01:04:00 AM »
That's food for thought Rob.  I don't think Gene ever got over the last time I pulled a joke on him.  Of course I had an expert partner in crime - BARRY!
Gary Logsdon

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #229 on: February 25, 2009, 06:03:00 AM »
Looks like a fun gathering.

Mr Lash, Did you find any souvineers from the last Texas trip?

Great to see Doug out.

That Woody is an awesome artist.

JC,s cookin? Oh man, Scary!!! Joe's favorite saying any time he sees a critter-"Them's good eatin".   :thumbsup:    Come see me sometime. CK

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #230 on: February 25, 2009, 07:29:00 AM »
Originally posted by Littlefeather:
Mr Lash, Did you find any souvenirs from the last Texas trip?
As a matter of fact I did Curtis!  They are very special souvenirs indeed!  In thanks I have plans to bring some special Wisconsin souvenirs for you the next time we get together!  :bigsmyl:    :bigsmyl:  
 :biglaugh:    :biglaugh:  

It seems I brought some more souvenirs back with me again this year.  I guess that makes me a collector!  :rolleyes:
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #231 on: February 25, 2009, 08:09:00 AM »
A collector? Maybe a coneseur! One thing about it, noone could ever say that you don't know your s---.  :goldtooth:

Offline Doug Campbell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #232 on: February 25, 2009, 11:12:00 AM »
It was great to get back to TX CK, I gotta get back down to Runge some day...

Joe brought two or three coolers full of cheese I think, it a wonder the whole camp wasn't "plugged up"   :D  Great stuff Joe, thanks!

Gene and Barry had some pretty stiff compitition in the camp jokester dept with JC and Woody, never a dull momment...  ;)
Life is wonderful in Montana!!
"BEING CHALLENGED IN LIFE IS INEVITABLE. BEING DEFEATED IS OPTIONAL."
ABS Journeyman Knifesmith

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #233 on: February 25, 2009, 11:42:00 AM »
Doug, You know my door is always open to you and Karen as well as the rest of you guys. It's always a sincere pleasure to have you traveling guys mark us down as a stop on your journey. Most of all it's really great to see you back to traveling and hunting again. I'm really happy to see you out and about.  :thumbsup:  CK

Offline IB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #234 on: February 25, 2009, 11:48:00 AM »
When's   DINNER  Curtis  

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #235 on: February 25, 2009, 02:06:00 PM »
Just finished cutting up 4 hogs and three javelinas. I started sugar curing the pork so I had some variety. After 21 days and some smoke you would throw out a Christmas ham to eat one of these. I'll have to ship you a ham or two. Otherwise we'd better eat before nightfall. I'm taking out a couple guys tonight to stack some night piggies. We've got lights on our bows already. I better get a nap also. CK

Offline Wiley Coyote

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #236 on: March 01, 2009, 09:53:00 AM »
How did the Pig Gig go for the Fourth week?  :)
Great Northern Bushbow
Super Shrew Delux
Talon Longbow
Chekmate Hunter Recurve

Offline LEOPARD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #237 on: March 01, 2009, 10:23:00 AM »
Great pics and stories guys! Well done!  :D
Nigel Ivy

"The more I practice, the luckier I get...."

Offline fatman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #238 on: March 01, 2009, 09:11:00 PM »
Albany, TX grocery clerk to Gatekeeper:

"I can tell by your hat you ain't from around here...."

:bigsmyl:
"Better to have that thing and not need it, than to need it and not have it"
Woodrow F. Call

Commitment is like bacon & eggs; the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed....

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #239 on: March 01, 2009, 09:30:00 PM »
When asked if Gene Wensel had tried peanut butter or jelly scent wafers for bear attractant " yea, I used them but,they didn't attract any bears only thing they brought in were three fat kids"
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©