3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wensel Bros pig gig  (Read 7427 times)

Online PV

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wensel Bros pig gig
« Reply #260 on: March 04, 2009, 12:58:00 PM »
Thanks for the great start to your adventure!

Offline Missouri CK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #261 on: March 04, 2009, 01:34:00 PM »
Great pictures as always Tom.

Chris
Life ain't a dress rehearsal.

Offline shortstroke 91

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #262 on: March 04, 2009, 02:56:00 PM »
Crap…Crap…double CRAP! I practice at this range all the time what gives?

:biglaugh:    :biglaugh:    :biglaugh:    :biglaugh:    :biglaugh:    :biglaugh:    :biglaugh:  
Seems like I've been there myself.
shortstroke 91
TBOT Life Member

"BLOOD MAKES THE GRASS GROW"

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #263 on: March 04, 2009, 05:37:00 PM »
Great stuff Tom!  I'm on the edge of my seat!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #264 on: March 04, 2009, 08:30:00 PM »
Yep!! You're now an experienced pig hunter... and hooked big time if I don't miss my guess.
  :wavey:    :thumbsup:
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Gatekeeper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #265 on: March 04, 2009, 10:18:00 PM »
Thanks for the compliments. I will continue with more of the adventure in the morning.

I get a little long winded but what I write goes into my journal so when I read about my past hunts years down the road I hope my words will jog my memory of those days and bring a smile to my face. Besides, I love reading the stories that are shared on this site and hope to give back some of the joy I get from reading about other member’s adventures.

Yep Charlie, I’m hooked!    :bigsmyl:
TGMM Family of the Bow   A member since 6/5/09

“I can tell by your hat that you’re not from around here.”

Casher from Brookshires Food Store in Albany, Texas during 2009 Pig Gig

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #266 on: March 05, 2009, 06:40:00 AM »
You're doing just fine, don't hold back anything    :thumbsup:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #267 on: March 05, 2009, 09:42:00 AM »
It's morning!  :readit:    :coffee:    :D
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Gatekeeper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #268 on: March 05, 2009, 09:44:00 AM »
Day 2

Wakeup was 05:00 and we were in field at first shooting light. On this morning Ben and I were hunting the north end of the Fort Davis Pasture. Ben was hunting the east side and I hunted the west side of the main road running through the pasture. The part of the pasture on the west side of the road is about (I’m guessing here) 300 yards deep east to west. West of this pasture (Fort Davis) is the Rough Pasture. Out of respect to anyone hunting that pasture I stayed at least 75 yards away from the fence line.

The terrain for this area has some gradual inclines with quite a few cuts or arroyo running through the landscape. Other features are the ever present mesquite and prickly pear. On the north end is the only water feature for this pasture and the cattle traffic shows this to be the only watering hole. The grass on the north end of the pasture is pounded flat and there are trails going in all directions from all the cattle using this area. This makes for easy and quiet stalking but I am skeptical whether I will see anything with as much cattle activity that has been in this part of the pasture.

The plan is to meet back up with Ben and Kevin at 09:30 on the main road. My initial thought, after seeing all the cattle signs, was 09:30 isn’t going to get here fast enough. Regardless of the conditions I figured I’d make the best of the situation. I still hunted my way through the pasture. Take a few steps, look, glass, listen and repeat. Within minutes of starting out coyotes broke out in song southwest of my position and they were close. Hmmm I thought “I wonder what pigs think of coyotes?”

The morning was uneventful so I parked myself, after about and hour and a half of still hunting, against a tree along the edge of arroyo. The vantage point was decent and I found the surroundings peaceful. Minutes later the song dogs started back up. Hmmm I wonder if I can call in a yote? “Ah what the hell” so I broke out the rabbit in distress call and gave a few blasts in their direction but it was to no avail the dogs weren’t interested.

After 20 minutes of sitting and glassing I continued still hunting to the south. As I stood in the shadow of a tree I looked to the west and lo and behold there stood a bobcat 40 yards away looking back at me. “Ha…how cool is that” I thought. For fun I kept moving towards him to see how close he would let me get. The answer to that is 35 yards.

The time at that point was around 08:45. The wind is out of the south and the south southwest and blowing around 10 or 15 mph. I continue hunting my way south and ahead of me I hear the repetitive popping of the natural gas powered oil pumping rigs. The popping is just loud enough that it is distracting and I found it difficult to pick out other sounds in the area. Around 09:05 I hear leaves rustling to the east northeast. Holding my position I glass over the area but see nothing moving. The sound reminds me of a squirrel on the forest floor but I hadn’t seen a squirrel the whole time that I had been in Texas so I figured the sound was being made by and armadillo or turkey.

Trying to keep my form small I crouched down and moved out into the open meadow and peeked over a small knoll to see down into a small grove of trees that are growing in a low lying area next to an arroyo. In that grove stood a large black hog rooting around in the middle of the tree grove. Holy Smokes! Just when I am about to through in the towel for this area I came across the largest pig that I had seen up to that point!

Checking the wind again I slipped down the northwest side of the knoll while being very aware of where I placed my feet. At that point I found the noise of the oil pumps to be a blessing. Ever so slowly I eased my way down into and through the arroyo.

The grass in the arroyo is broken over and semi compressed which makes for a silent approach. I check the wind again…perfect it’s in my favor and I could see the pig but I had to stay low because I was out in the open. I continued my advance very slowly closing the gap to 25 yards but there was still a lot of thick vegetation growing in the grove separating the pig and me. Another wind check shows that I still have a green light. I was on the north northwest side of the tree groove standing in the arroyo which put me about four feet lower than the pig. I advanced another five yards…

the wind blew and all hell broke loose! The small grove of trees exploded with pork action!

The pig I had been stalking busted out of the grove and vanished in the bush to the south and to my surprise five other pigs sprang up out of the under growth! Wow! Two pigs stayed in the grove behind thick brush, two ran out to the south southwest edge just far enough to poke their noses out of the brush but kept their bodies hidden and the last one a red and black sow ran completely out into the open and stood 15 or less yards from me! What dumb blind luck! All of these pigs were 175+ pounds! Had I known there was a sounder there I would have rethought my approach but at the time the single black pig was the only pig I knew about and the wind for that pig was perfect. Now what? The balls in their court now my recon mission is all but over. I need them to go back to a relaxed state so at that point the waiting game was on.

The red hog stood with her butt facing me. Because of my position, standing down in the arroyo, I was almost brown eye level with her, sort of speak. I was standing straight up at that point with my bow readied and tension being applied to the string with a split fingered grip. I was ready! My focus was concentrated on the level of her vitals area. All I needed was for her to turn to the west, her right, to give me a quartering away or broadside shot opportunity. The stand off seemed like an eternity. I watched her as she looked left and right and saw her ears move around as she scanned the area looking and listening for the threat that had spooked her sounder. She had no idea that I was standing behind her! The pigs were silent not a peep was coming from any of them. Then as quickly as the hogs had come into view the sounder exploded for the second time and vanished into the brush to the south without offering me a clean shot. Dang that was fun!

Further investigation revealed that the wind was blowing hard enough that an eddy affect had been created on the side of the grove where I had advanced to, which pulled my scent into the trees and alerted the hogs. Another lesson learned. A short time later I hear the sound of the diesel truck coming down the road. My ride was on its way.

Evening Hunt

The evening hunt was an uneventful hunt but I’ll describe it anyway. I sat wearing a Gillie suit at the top lip of an arroyo along the northeast corner of the Macon pasture. This was one of the furthest places on our parcel of ground away from the main road so I figured it would be a place the hogs may find as a secure area.

Ben and I scouted this place our first day out and the area I picked had a lot of game trails coming from the south and heading to the wheat field to the north. After studying the area a little more I realized the animals were following the shallow draw that drops down from the south and ended at the arroyo and most of those trails converged at a single crossing point at the arroyo. North of that arroyo crossing was a well worn depression under the fence separating the Macon Pasture from the wheat field.

The dry arroyo snakes it way from the east to the west and ends at a ¼ acre pond that is about a ¼ mile from where I choose to setup. Of course like all the ponds this one is a lot smaller then it would be had the area be receiving average rainfall. I chose not to hunt the water hole because the cattle stay pretty close to it most of the day and I’m not sure if the pigs would intermingle with the cattle.

The wind for that night was fickle. When I setup I had southwest 10 MPH wind in my in my face. At the edge of the arroyo, where I setup, there was a mesquite tree that I used to breakup my form from the opposite side of the arroyo and a couple of mesquite trees behind me that would increase the breakup affect. The trail that I hunted was 15 yards to my right. Any animal crossing the arroyo would have to climb up the 10’ bank of the arroyo and that would block their view of my draw.

To bad I did’nt get to test this theory. Remember why I didn’t want to hunt the waterhole? Guess who came to visit about and hour before dusk? Yep…cows. And remember the SW wind? Well it turned into a west…no wait a northwest…no wait a north…northeast…north…northwest…west…northwest…okay I concede.

On the way out to pick up Ben and Kevin I came across a pig on the main road of the Macon Pasture and by design there happen to be a one million candle powered spotlight lying on the seat beside me. As I slowly drove up to the hog it nonchalantly stepped off the road and when I hit it with the light it went about its routine as if I wasn’t there. Hmmm…interesting.

When I picked up Ben and Kevin I told them “hey there is a pig north of here walking around on the road and it could care less about the truck being close to it.” “Do you want to try a get it?”  Ben eagerly accepted the challenge so off we went. I’ll let Ben pick up this part of the story since he was the man on the ground.

Ben you're up!

Offline fatman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #269 on: March 05, 2009, 11:49:00 AM »
"....brown-eye level"    :scared:  

you got a real knack for the written word  :D
"Better to have that thing and not need it, than to need it and not have it"
Woodrow F. Call

Commitment is like bacon & eggs; the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed....

Offline BMN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #270 on: March 05, 2009, 05:50:00 PM »
Good stuff Tom.

Ben, we're waiting.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society
Prairie Traditional Archers
TGMM Family of the Bow

The most frightening thing you are likely to encounter in nature is yourself.

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #271 on: March 05, 2009, 08:52:00 PM »
My first two days had not been as productive as Tom's. I'd covered alot of territory but, hadn't seen a hog yet. When he picked Kevin and I up and said there was a pig feeding on the corn we'd spread on the road I said let's get him. I climbed in the back of the truck and we were off to the races!Tom drove north on the main road thru the Macon pasture and shortly we saw the little rascal still feeding on the corn, walking right down the middle. Tom eased right up beside him and he got nervous before I could get off a shot. Into the brush he went,I jumped out of the truck bed and followed him in.Tom kept the light on him and he managed to keep the brush and prickly pear between us but never was more than 15 to 20 yards away.We finally reached the end of the light so, I headed back to the truck.That was fun even though it was not successful! Keep in mind this is legal for hogs in Texas.
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Offline Gatekeeper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #272 on: March 05, 2009, 10:15:00 PM »
Day 3

This morning was very slow. No action to speak of. I hunted the far northern most square of the Macon pasture. I tried this area because nobody had been in the area since our arrival and the previous evening deer were pouring out of this part of the pasture and into the wheat field that was to my north. So I had to investigate the area for pigs but I found very few signs of pigs in the area. This day turned out to be one of the hottest days of the trip. The reported temperature was 96F. The evening hunt was a repeat of the morning. Nothing was moving. When we got back to camp most the people were reporting the same thing. “We didn’t see anything.”

I had decided earlier that day that I was going to do a night hunt on this evening. When I say night hunt I mean hunt in the dark. Ha ha ha…only in Texas.

Ben was gun-ho earlier in the day about joining me for the night hunt but his eye lids seemed to follow the sinking of the sun so I was on my own. Before heading out I practiced in camp. There is an art to this, a guy just doesn’t go out and start night hunting with out some practice. So between 8:00 and 9:00 I set in camp with a headlamp on and practiced shooting my bow in the dark with the aid of a headlamp.

I shot at distances of 10, 15, 20, 25 and if I put myself in the neighbors’ camp 30 yards. Piece of cake this is doable. The trick was to get the light angled to the side of my bow arm and pointed to where I looked. Too far to the left, for me, would light up the bow and hide the target too far to the right would put the target in darkness. Thump, thump thump. I was hitting right where I looked. “I can do this” I reassured myself.

At 9:45 I said goodnight to the guys and head out. My destination was the north end of the Fish Camp pond. I parked on the main road and walked into the camp under the cover of darkness. When I got to the fence crossing on the northwest side of the pond I clicked on my light. Well, well, well hello little piggy. There near the corn stood a raccoon and an 80 to a 100 pound black pig. It scurried when I hit it with the light but the coon stayed. I continued my walk into the area in the dark and set myself up next to a 3.5’ tall, cutoff, multi branched trunk near the edge of the northwest water line. I set on the south side of the trunk facing northeast. 20 yards to my east was a fresh wallow, 15 yards to my northeast was scattered corn and 40 yards away is where I saw the pig standing.

The wind was out of the north northeast and the night sky only shares its space with the twinkling stars. For the week of the 22nd was a new moon. I got setup, arrow nocked and setback comfortable in my chair. It was 10:00.

At 10:05 I hear, what seemed like, loud crunching. I reach up turn on my light and there stands a pig 40 yards away and it is not alarmed by the light. Undoubtedly this was the same pig that I saw while standing at the fence line. I click off the light and I wonder to myself “what can I get away with on this type of hunt?” I ease over pick up my bow, stand, click on the light and click off the light. Same reaction from the pig… I can hear the pig eating. I gently advance 5 yards, click on, look, click off. No change. Hmmm… Slowly advancing 5 more yards and repeat with the same results. Interesting…. 5 more yards and I can feel the rush start to run through my body. Pulse quickens, breathing increases the hunting high is on! Click on, look, click off. The pig stands 25 yards from me broadside, eating and relaxed. I tell myself I want to close in 5 more yards before shooting. I slip over the soft semi moist soil of the pond bed along the water’s edge another 5 yards. At this point I can see the outline of the pig’s body against the lighter colored ground behind it. I can tell it is in the same position from my spot 5 yards back. I reach up click on my headlamp and start to slide my hand down to my bow (I had to use my bow hand to turn on the headlamp because I can’t feel or operate the button on the light with my string hand, the glove is too thick) my right hand reaches my bow and I slowly bring the bow into shooting position. Then I hear SQUAWK and the pig disappears into the darkness. Ha ha ha… I sure didn’t make plans for that! A little shore bird was sitting a few feet from me and my movement caused it to send out and alarm call. Another lesson learned and back to the chair.

10:45 I expect a hand to come through the computer screen and slap me for this one. Sitting in the pitch blackness, my eyes have adjusted to the mono hue landscape that surrounds me and the slightest of sounds are amplified. I sit admiring the stars and noticing their movement across the night sky. From the northeast a torpedo shaped form appears to float inches above the ground and headed my way. Hear we go!

I slowly reached over and pick up my bow with the arrow already nocked. The torpedo form of course is a pig. The pig quietly slips into the area of scattered corn 15 yards from where I sat. I gave it a few minutes, maybe two minutes, to get comfortable in the area. I could hear it breathing, moving around and the corn crunching in its mouth. I am excited but my emotions are in check. “This is a slam dunk shot you can do this” I mentally tell myself.

Reaching up I click on the light and look at the pig. The pig was startled by the sudden light, it had no idea I was there, and it retreats into the darkness. Clicking off the light my eyes readjust to the night and I can see the pig return. Again I wait to let pig settle in. Then I click on the light again and the pig continues with its feast. Sliding my bow hand down to my bow and hooking my fingers around my string, while seated, I raise the bow and draw the string to my anchor point aim a couple inches above where the front leg connects to the body and relaxed my string hand. Thump…went my longbow and sparks flash under the pigs armpit and the pig disappears harmlessly into the night. Siiiiiigh…. Yep I dropped my bow arm. A 15 YARD SHOT ON THE GROUND AND I MISSED…AGAIN! I wonder if I would be any good at knitting.

11:20 off to the southeast I hear activity and I know its hogs. These are the first hogs I have heard coming in noisily. Lots of grunts and a couple of squeals came from this sounder. They came in for a drink and I light them up with 120 lumens flashlight. There were six total and they all look to be around 80# except for one and I guessed it to be 120#. The sounder is around 70 yards away. Without the aid of the flashlight I cannot see them. So I remain content to sit and listen to their little hooves shuffling on the ground, the snorts, grunts and squeals they make as they go about their night activities. Trying to put a night stalk on them would be pointless. Approaching them from the west along the pond dam would be my only option and that area was full of mesquite trees and cactus and any other approach would put me up wind. So waiting them out and hoping they would move to me was my best option.

They continue with their actions for ten minutes. I flashed the light on them a couple more times for location reference. Then, while sitting in the darkness, I could hear one that sounded louder then the rest. Patiently I waited and before long I could make out the shape of a pig against the reflective surface of the pond. There was a sliver of land on the east side of the pond that jetted out into the pond and the pig was using that area to try and get down wind of me. Smaaart….

I lit the pig up with a quick flash of my headlamp and it scampered back to the east. The black mud coated pig was about 35 or 40 yards away at that time. The pig moved to the north a little further skirting the edge of the waterline by about 10’. By that time I had my bow in hand and the biological hunting rush was on. The pig had closed the gap to 25 yards I could see its silhouette against the lighter colored soil background. Its approach was cautious but I think at that time it was smelling the corn which was 35+ yards up wind from it. I click my head lamp on and the pig froze for a second and then it started trotting north to the corn. By that time one hand was on my bow and the other on the string. If the pig continued on its course it would give me a 20yd broadside shot.

I raised my bow put tension on the string and started tracking the pig with the bow. The image of the hunt still burns fresh in my memory! As the pig starts to line up broadside to me I begin to draw the bow and focus on its vitals. Five more yards and the pot belly porker will be 20 yards broadside to me. 5, 4, 3 I have the bow drawn to three quarter draw and then the pig makes a low loud guttural UUUUUHHHHH sound while at the same time spinning to the southeast and breaking into a flat out run and continuing to make the UUUUUHHHH, UUUUUHHH sound as it leaves the Fish Camp Pond. All I could do was laugh. I’m not sure if the pig caught me moving or maybe smelled my scent on the arrow that stuck in the ground near the corn. Whatever the case I’m convinced that UUUUHHHH in pig talk means RUN FOR YOUR LIVES! Because seconds later I set all alone at the waterline of the Fish Camp Pond.

That was the end of the action for that night and I stopped hunting at 01:00 because wake for the morning hunt was 05:00.

Offline fatman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #273 on: March 05, 2009, 10:40:00 PM »
....and Tom was up at 5:00 before Ben and me.  He was higher than a kite on adrenaline, he kept sayin', "That was soooo &^@%$in' FUN!"......  :bigsmyl:
Woodrow F. Call

Commitment is like bacon & eggs; the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed....

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #274 on: March 05, 2009, 11:55:00 PM »
Good writing Tom. Keep it going.

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #275 on: March 06, 2009, 03:16:00 AM »
Dang, I've GOTTA do this some day!

Keep at it Tom.  That night hunting sounds like a hoot.
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline BMN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #276 on: March 06, 2009, 09:27:00 AM »
Hunting hogs with a headlamp at night! How cool is that!! Oh please tell me you shot one at night  :pray:  

More please   :coffee:
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society
Prairie Traditional Archers
TGMM Family of the Bow

The most frightening thing you are likely to encounter in nature is yourself.

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #277 on: March 06, 2009, 10:34:00 AM »
Tom, Great writing bud,enjoying every word!

This is the rig I used to shoot a hog in the dark of pre-dawn on the first morning of the Solana Ranch hunt this past Jan.....

It's just a modified headlamp.I think about 75 lumen and shoots a nice concentrated beam. I shot this hog at about 17yds and the light is real good out to about 20yds. That's about as far as I'd shoot in the dark anyway.

Also have a red lens for it, but I shot this one with the plain white light....it shines wherever your bow is pointed. Nice too because you can turn it on and lower it slowly...
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline fatman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #278 on: March 06, 2009, 10:45:00 AM »
That's a good looking rig, Curt...the light attached to the bow makes more sense than trying to align a head-mounted lamp...

I've talked to a couple of Texans since my return, and there's definitely an art/science to night hunting that many of us don't experience until our first trip down there.  As Tom said, a little practice beforehand defintely helps....
Woodrow F. Call

Offline Gatekeeper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #279 on: March 06, 2009, 12:09:00 PM »
Night hunting is a REAL HOOT! Had I known it was so much fun I would have started night hunting at 12:01 Monday morning and tried to sleep in the afternoons.

I do realize that some people may frown on this type of hunting (not you guys commenting) but our purpose for being on the ranch was to thin out the pig population and in Texas hog hunting can go on 24/7.

The daylight hog activity was very spotty at best. When we would get back to camp one of the first things to be done was look at the meat pole and the second was start asking if the other hunters were seeing anything. One of the guys in the camp next to us hadn’t seen a hog, pig or piglet the whole time he was there until Friday night when he went night hunting.

This ranch had been hunted two weeks prior to our hunt and with Hogdancer roaming the grounds the word must have gotten out that guys carrying sticks with strings on them are dangerous. Another factor that may have contributed to the shy pigs may have been the helicopter kill that the conservation department conducted on one of neighboring ranches the week before we arrived for our hunt. We got this information from the owner of the ranch. He said that the conservation department shot 120 something pigs on the neighboring ranch.

Curt,

I like your setup. That would be a lot better than the headlamp. What I found to be the drawback to the headlamp was the after the shot affect. My bow would pass in front of the light beam and hide the flight of the arrow for just a brief second. I didn’t like that affect.

My headlamp is 25 lumens at it’s brightest setting and it lit up the area really good. I kept a 120 lumens hand held light in my jacket pocket to light a pig up and follow it after the shot. That light is like a sunbeam but its burn time is fairly short. The Wensel’s light is very impressive.

Glad you’re enjoying the story. I told the Wensel boys that I want to be on the list for the Trad Gang hunt next year. I hope we can meet some day.

Tom

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©