3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wensel Bros pig gig  (Read 7425 times)

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wensel Bros pig gig
« Reply #280 on: March 06, 2009, 12:27:00 PM »
If anyone is curious Curt's light is called a Coleman Exponent Mini Headlamp. You can find them for around $30 to $40 depending on the store.

Great story fella's keep it comin'

CS

Offline Jim Jackson

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #281 on: March 07, 2009, 10:01:00 AM »
Great stories Tom!  Felt like I was right there.

A
Blaze out your own trail.

Online anchorman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #282 on: March 08, 2009, 08:46:00 PM »
Hey Ben, Kevin and Tom...It's anchorman here..or loveable Lonnie...lol Just got my computer back to working.. Don't know about you guys but I sure did have a good time..I am going to have to practice shooting under the lights tho..lol Ifwe do you know we just might get good enough..lol

Offline fatman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #283 on: March 08, 2009, 08:51:00 PM »
Good to hear from you, Lonnie....

got any hero shots?    :readit:

BTW, what's the new name on your bow?......
"Better to have that thing and not need it, than to need it and not have it"
Woodrow F. Call

Commitment is like bacon & eggs; the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed....

Online anchorman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #284 on: March 08, 2009, 09:14:00 PM »
Yes, Bill did bring the video over and we watched on the tv, it's pretty cool. As far as a different name for the "virgin" I don't know. Any suggestions? Have you told the Wensels to put you on the list for next year? If so would you guys mind if I tagged along with you?

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #285 on: March 08, 2009, 09:53:00 PM »
Surely you don't mean that, no one has ever wanted to be around us a second time after they meet us!  Ben
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Offline fatman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #286 on: March 08, 2009, 11:18:00 PM »
Since Tom seems to have taken a sabatical on his storytelling, I'll add my take on Day 4.....

Camp started stirring an hour or so before dawn made its first little peek, and Tom was up making coffee, though Ben and I had heard his diesel roll in to the campground well after midnight.  Tom was grinning like the cat that ate the canary, and he kept saying, "That was SO much fun!"  As we stood around sippin' our morning Joe, we made the decision to spend that night posted over waterholes in the dark....

My morning hunt went pretty much as the previous three;  in other words, no pigs sighted.  This was the third day of temps in the 90's and winds from the south.  It was easy to see why the pigs were laying low during the day, searching out the shade of the live oaks for its precious relief from the Texas sun.....

Since we had agreed that the focus of the day's hunt would be nighttime, we decided that a trip in to town for ice and a meal was in order.  After a quick stop at the grocery for the ice, we proceeded to visit every eatin' establishment in Albany, TX - only to find out that EVERYTHING shuts down at 2:00.  Dairy Queen would have to do.  Not all bad, as we ordered up chocolate dip cones for the ride back to the ranch....

Once back to camp, we tried to search out some scarce shade while we rested for the night's festivities.  Lonnie and Bill stopped by, cold beverages were consumed, shade was chased, and we generally passed a relaxing afternoon telling tales and swapping lies as the big orange Texas sun arched slowly towards the west.  As we sat stewing in our own juices, there was a sudden shift of the wind, accompanied by a slight drop in temperature.  The south wind had pivoted around into a cool northwest breeze.  This change in the weather gave us renewed hope that game would be on the move tonight, and the direction was perfect for our selected stand sites....

We had planned on arriving on our stands about an hour before dusk.  Water bottles were filled, a few snacks were packed, and a few last-minute arrows were launched at the target.  Now, Tom had spent some time the previous evening after supper shooting in the dark;  we would not have this luxury, and would have to adjust our headlamps once the sun went down.  We slowly drove out to "our" pasture, where Tom and Ben dropped me out in the Fort Davis section, and they continued on to the Fish Camp....

The previous day, I had discovered a small winter wheat field in the Fort Davis spread, and had set up an ambush spot along two areas where animals had been passing under the fence.  We had "corned" our spots earlier this day, so that all we'd have to do was slip in beforehand.  I set up my stool, trimmed a few branches for shooting lanes, and settled in to watch the evening develop.  Numerous deer slid cautiously under the barbed wire boundary of the wheat field and began to feed.  Across the way, I spied a couple of black forms, which I supposed were pigs....but I had left my binoculars in the truck (what good would they be in the dark?       :scared:      , it's just that it's unfamiliar territory in which to operate.  Gradually, my eyes adjusted to the darkness, my ears tuned in to the music of the night, and I believe that smell even sharpens.  About 30 minutes after full dark, the night went dead calm....I could hear a rustling in the trees building from a great distance, and suddenly there was a breath on the back of my neck, followed by a healthy eastern breeze;  So much for the wheat field, the wind was all wrong...

Fortunately, I had a backup.  The Fort Davis Tank was only 3/4 of a mile up the fenceline, and I had placed a corn pile near the upper end.  The east wind would be perfect, blowing directly from the target area to my hiding place in a small grove of live oaks.

By this time, I was fairly acclimated to the darkness, and I really didn't want to break the spell or disturb any game along the way.  I decided that I could navigate to the Tank without the aid of artificial light;  all I needed to do was follow the fence to the pond dam, and the trees would guide me to my ambush spot.  The new moon offered little aid, but I was able to stroll quietly down a two-track that followed the boundary of the pasture.  My only fear was stumbling in the dark and taking a swan dive into a prickly pear patch, so I picked my way gingerly along until I could see the tank dam looming as a dark form in front of me.  As I began to slowly slip around the west side of the dam, I thought I heard a familiar sound.  I stopped, cocked an ear in the direction of the tank, and zeroed in on the noise....it was grunting!  Pigs grunting! Hot damn!

I slowly dropped my pack and chair off my shoulders and slipped an arrow out of the quiver and on to the string.  My heart was pounding, my breath was shallow, and I forced myself to slow down as I slipped around the end of the dam.  I could see black forms scurrying in the darkness and heard splashing in the shallows.  As I raised up and turned on my Fenix light, I could count four, maybe five pigs running away from the beam's shine, to the north of the pond.  Damn, I blew it!       :knothead:         Quickly, I went back for my gear, found the fenceline, and followed it out to the small grove of live oaks that would provide me cover.  No sooner had I reached my "blind" than I began to hear the sounds of a pig feeding out in front of me.  I again dropped my gear, nocked an arrow, and switched on my headlamp.  The black pig looked up at the powerful star in it's evening sky, and shuffled quickly away from the scattered grain.  I quickly shut off the light and waited.  In less than a minute, I could hear the pig's feeding sounds and I could make out the black, football shape in the night.  I slowly reached up and once again turned on the light...this time, my quary continued to feed contentedly on the corn, and slowly turned broadside, with his head down....THIS WAS IT!

My bow arm pushed toward the target;  my split fingers tightened around the string as my back muscles flexed, bringing the arrow silently back across the shelf.  As my eyes burned a hole in the spot behind the pig's shoulder, my right hand came back smoothly until the middle finger touched the corner of my mouth.....

Unfortunately, a lot of things began to happen at this point, and not all of them good....when I hit anchor, the green light went off in my head, triggering the release of the arrow.  That's not bad;  however, the second I hit anchor, my bow arm also brought my bow into the beam of light from my flashlight.  The light reflected off the belly of the bow, straight back, searing all of those "lumens" in to the depths of my right eye socket.  The sparks that jumped out of the rocky Texas soil underneath my target indicated that the shock of the reflection had caused me to drop my bow arm and shoot low.  This time, Porky was not going to come back....I heard him grunting off in to the blackness, taking his friends with him......
Woodrow F. Call

Commitment is like bacon & eggs; the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed....

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #287 on: March 08, 2009, 11:29:00 PM »
Dang Kevin you can stroke the pen as well as Tom. Come on Tom I know your evening really got exciting! Whup it on us!
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Offline fatman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #288 on: March 08, 2009, 11:49:00 PM »
....To say I was Supremely Bummed at this point would be an understatement.  Four days in the Texas heat, and the first pig that I see with a bow in my hand and I BLOW IT!!  If only I'd have spent some time practicing in the dark, this wouldn't have happened...but then I remembered that this is not something that's in the normal Yankee's repertoire, and I felt a little better.  Besides, it was only 8:50 and we were hunting until midnight....

Once again, I tried settling in to the rhythmn of the night.  Racoons came and went at the pond's edge.  I heard a flock of sandhill cranes circling in the darkness.  And once again, some huffing, and then a grunt.....

Over my left shoulder, I spied a couple of black forms moving slowly through the pale grass.  I slowly nocked an arrow and twisted in my chair...if things worked as planned, I could have a 20 yard shot down the fenceline.  I had moved the headlamp to the LEFT side of my head, eliminating one of my potential problems.  In the darkness, the grunting intensified, as the two black forms moved closer and closer to the fence.  Finally, the lead pig began to cross under the fence.....

However, when I hit the lights, the lead "Pig" became a whole flock of little black football-shaped piglets....and they weren't liking the illumination!  Pigs squealed and squirmed, back under the fence, following momma off in to the night....something told me they wouldn't be back....

Once again, I settled back to enjoy the evening.  The clouds had cleared, and the stars were shining more brightly than you ever see in town.  The east breeze was a nice break from the sweltering heat we'd had the last couple of days.  In time, I began to doze a little....

...only to be roused by the sound of corn being eaten.  I quickly picked up my bow, and turned my headlamp toward the grain;  there was a small doe eating, and she immediately dashed out of sight when the light came on.  I switched the lamp off, and in about two minutes her sounds were again in front of me.  I turned on the light, and again she fled.  Off with the light.  In about a minute, she was back, and when the lights came on for a third time, she settled in to eat.  I sat and watched her chew and crunch for the next 15 minutes....

When she had eaten her fill, she slowly walked off, her white tail twitching slowly, until I lost sight of it in the darkness.  I decided I'd had enough fun for the evening, and began to gather my things.  I had a half mile hike to the Fish Camp, and it was a beautiful night for a stroll....
Woodrow F. Call

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #289 on: March 09, 2009, 07:51:00 AM »
:clapper:
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Randy Morin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #290 on: March 09, 2009, 08:46:00 AM »
Good stories guys.  Thanks for sharing with us guys stuck in the snow up North.

Offline Gatekeeper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #291 on: March 09, 2009, 09:37:00 AM »
Day 4

Wake up was 05:00 I got to bed at 01:30 that morning but I awake eager to tell my stories of the adventures in the dark. Ben was the first face I saw and I proceed to tell him “Man you have got to go out and do a night hunt that ***t is a gas!” He probably only heard blah, blah, blah, blah, blah…. I was so pumped up and was rambling words out a mile a minute. I’m sure the things I was telling him sound unbelievable. You can get away with so much…eating, standing up, stretching, turning the light on and off, stalking pigs…there seems to be no limit to what a person can get away with. Just don’t get up wind of them. “Ahuh…ahuh…yeah… I’ll have to try that tonight.” Ben replies (these may not have been his exact words I am using a little artistic freedom here to tell a story) Poor Ben only wanted to get some coffee and have a  chance to wake up and I am assaulting him with my over the top eagerness. I continue with “Yeah, yeah I am definitely going back out again tonight because that is where the action is the pigs have gone nocturnal and they don’t care that you are 15 yards from them! I stalked one, I shot at one and I had six other come in…its crazy man!” They jump around a little bit when I initially turn the light on them and after that they could careless!” A short time later Kevin stumbles out of the tent. “So you saw pigs last night?” he says. Oh man! And then I proceed to attack him with my stories.

After some coffee and a quick bite to eat we are on the road to our hunting grounds. I still hunted the east side on the Macon pasture about middle ways from its north and south ends that morning. The area that I got into was dominated by mesquite tress and calf high grass. This area had very few prickly pears growing which is a good thing when trying to still hunt an area. The reason for that is hidden under the grass, in areas with prickly pear, are dead dried prickly pear plants and when they are stepped on they sound like a bunch of potato chips crunching under foot. When in an area with a lot of prickly pears we found the best way to move through the area was on game trails. Without any game trails it was a crap shoot when it came to moving quietly.

I choose this area because the night before, while standing on an oil tank battery catwalk, I heard pig squeals coming from this area. The wind was coming from the southwest at around 10 or 15 MPH and I moved east and southeast. The morning was already warming up and all indications were pointing to another hot day.

I still hunted for a couple hours without seeing any wildlife moving. At one point a coyote added his barks and howls to the sound of the wind blowing through the trees. He wasn’t far away but I never caught his movement. I eventually came across a spot that just appealed to me. There was a mesquite tree that angled just right to make a good backrest. I removed my pack and sweater sat in the grass and relaxed with by back against the tree and glassed my surroundings. I set against the tree soaking up the morning sun for about 30 minutes and then slung the pack back on and continued my hunt.

Around 10:30 I crossed a two track road, not a gravel road more like a mowed path with tire tracks in it, into another part of the Macon Pasture and started cross hunting the wind. A short time later I hear a grunt and up from the opposite side of a tall prickly pear patch springs a very large black hog! I was about 30 yards on the upwind side of its bed. Its bed lay under the canopy of several mesquite trees and the prickly pear patch was on its upwind side. The cactus patch was tall enough that I could not see it lying in the bed.

This hog was BIG! I would guess its back to be around 32” tall. This is close to being a riding hog. Ben saw a hog the day before that fit this hog’s description just east of where I was hunting and he tried to put a stalk on the hog but was unable to close the distance on it. He will have to fill you in on that hunt I wasn’t there.

I watched this big beast, through my binoculars, run about 70 yards to the northeast and then it slowed to a walk. I got myself back onto the two track road and ran north trying to get ahead of this hog. I stopped twice to glass the hog’s location and verify that I wasn’t spooking it. Everything looked good. It had turned to the north and was still walking. I ran another 50 yards north, which put the hog out of my sight, and then turned 90 degrees and jogged to the east trying to be aware of where I stepped so as not to make any loud noises. I jogged to the east about 120 yards. I wanted to get downwind of the hog and get a little further east of it incase it had turned east from the last time I saw it.

The terrain is fairly flat lots and lots of mesquite trees, calf high dry grass, knee / thigh high dried brush and a few prickly pears. As long as I avoided the dried brush and watch for dried prickly pears I could move through the environment fairly quietly. I initially stayed low and glassed the area where I expected the hog to be. Nothing… I begin slowly and cautiously moving south while frequently glassing the area. Still nothing… I think to myself  “The hog should be in this general area by now at the pace it was moving when I last saw it.” I glassed to the northwest, west, southwest and south…and see no sign of the hog. I change my direction and move east watching for movement in the distance and still find no sign of movement. I hunted that hog for 40 minutes and walked away from the area baffled. How in the hell did I loose a 300#+ black hog in a light tan colored environment? Another lesson learned never take your eyes off the pig skin. I should have got down wind but kept him in my sights.

That was all the action for the morning and the wait was on for the evening and night hunt.

Evening and Night Hunt

The day was another hot day. I didn’t hear what the temperature was but I guess it was in the low to mid 90’s. I hunted along side Ben at the Fish Camp Pond for this evening. I reassured him that once the pigs start coming in you won’t be sleepy.

We started hunting around 6:00. The sun was still up so we parked ourselves along the weedy edge of the pond on the west side. When we walked in we scared two deer from the east side of the pond and ducks took off from the ponds surface. During the magic hour of dusk the two deer that ran away when we arrived had returned. The smaller of the two never did settle down but the larger deer eventually came into the corn to feed. Ben and I set silently watching the two go about their desire to forage on the free meal before them while at the same time suppressing the warnings from their sixth sense and fighting off their desire to flee. Also while sitting there the little shore bird the screwed up my first hunt the night before had returned. I looked at Ben and whispered “we have to make sure that little SOB is gone before we start our night hunt.”

Before things got too dark Ben and I moved into position. I sat in the same spot as the night before and Ben 25 yards to my north. We came into the area that morning to set a place up for him to sit and hoped that the wind would be in our favor. Ben set in front of a couple of large limestone rocks with wood stacked on top of them. From my vantage point his form disappeared. His hunting spot put him 15 or 20 yards northwest of corn that has been scattered in the area for several days. The wind was perfect we had a light northeast breeze. The temperature was also very pleasant.

The sun went down and the waiting game began. First order of business was to line the headlamp up on my head. I positioned the light, draw my bow and check the cast of the light beam. This took about three tries before I was satisfied with the alignment.  

Around 8:40 or sometime around then a dark form works its way in from the northeast. Here comes a pig! The pig crosses right by Ben about 15 or 20 yards away. I think he said he heard in coming in or saw in coming in. I’m not sure he will have to describe that story from his perspective. Anyway, one of us, I’m not sure which one, lit the pig up and the pig scampered back into the darkness. He came back in a couple more times and Ben put his light on him but I think he was having problems with the alignment. Regardless no shot was taken and the pig left the area.

Later, around 9:05 another pig came into the area. This pig came in from the east if I remember correctly and it stopped about 30 yards out. We let it get comfortable in the area and then lit it up. The pig danced around a little so I shut the light off. A few seconds later I lit it up again and this time it stood still continuing to eat standing broadside to me. This was a black 80 to a 100 pound pig. I kept the light pointed directly at the pig while sitting on my three legged stool. My confidence level was high, I shoot at this distance and further all the time with my buddy Chris Kinslow, I picked a spot behind the pigs front leg, aim, draw the string with my split fingered grip, anchor to the corner of my mouth and relaxed my string hand… My string hand remained next to my face (I use a dead release) and my bow arm remained solid. It all felt good! Thump goes my 56” 55# Centaur longbow. The bow rocks and the top limb crossed in front of the headlamp beam which temporarily hides the arrow’s flight from my sight. I quickly realign the light beam onto the pig and heard thud. I hit it and the hit to me looks good! The arrow hit behind the front leg maybe a little high but it looks solidly placed in the vitals. The pig was silent after the hit and it took two steps forward and then three steps backwards. When it took the three steps backwards a voice in my head said “dead pig!” The 31.5”, 650 grain (total weight) Carbon Express, Heritage 250, white crested and white fletched arrow, fitted with a STOS two blade broadhead was buried solidly in the pig.

By this time I have my handheld 120 lumens flashlight pointed right on the pig and every move he made was clear. The pig started forward again and turned left (north) and ran hard for about 40 yards, stumbled, and turned right (east) this time, carrying the arrow with it. The pig ran 50 or 60 more yards up a hill and at the top on the hill it paused and stumbled again. The pig then went over the hill and we heard it crash through the brush. I was on cloud nine. The time was 9:10.

I walk over to Ben with a big smile on my face. First thing I hear from Ben is “That was a long $%*@&^# shot!” “Yeah I know but it felt good I hit him soild” I reply. We quietly discuss the shot placement Ben thought it might be back a bit too far but I felt it was a good hit.

We agree to return to our posts and give the pig some time before taking up the trail. About 45 minutes late a sounder of six pigs comes in from the north. Their approach was slow and they followed the same north south line that the pig I shot had run out on. We could see and hear the sounder although we never lit them up. They would not commit to the area. They remained in the general area where the pig I shot was standing. They were quiet except for the air they were blowing out their noses. They eventually slipped out of the area as quietly as they had come in. Later analysis reveled that the pigs were sniffing the blood that lay on the ground at the hit sight.

This is approximately where the arrow hit

The Blood Trail

10:40 Ben and I agree that we should start tracking the shot pig. The evening temperature was warm and we didn’t want the meat to spoil. It had been an hour and a half since the shot. We start at the top of the hill where we last saw the pig and began the search for blood and mark that spot and all significant waypoints along the trail.

The terrain we are tracking through is a mix of calf high dried grass, prickly pears and mesquite trees but mostly we are tracking through dried grass. The grass proves to be the hardest to track through but Ben turns out to be an experienced and an excellent tracker. He can spot a pin head blood droplet from 10 feet away. The blood is light but I am confident that we are going to find a pig. 25 or 30 yards from where we last saw the pig on the hill top Ben found the arrow. When I see the arrow my confidences increases even more.

The arrow has had the tip end broken off. There is 3.25” of the arrow shaft missing along with a 3.5” STOS broadhead. The shaft of the arrow is also heavily coated with blood 8” up. The rest of the arrow is also covered in blood and all three of the fletch have been laid flat with blood. This told us that the arrow had been pushed all the way through the pig. Totaling up the length of the broadhead, the length of the broken shaft and the length of the heavily blood coated end of the bloody arrow there was a grand total of 14.75” of penetration. Mt initial thought at the hit site was 8” or 10” of penetration. The other 5” to 7” most have occurred as the pig was bumping into things as it ran. The arrow did not feel greasy or tacky and the arrow didn’t have the rancid smell of gut or intestine. On the same note we were not seeing bubbles in the blood. The blood we were seeing was bright red.

The search for blood continued and the progress at times was slow and then we would get big leaps forward where there was a lot of blood. The pig very rarely stayed on a trail. When it did we moved along quite quickly and then the pig would move off trail and our progress was slowed substantially. At one point going up a hill there was blood on both sides on the trail. At other times we were lucky to find a couple of drops. We tracked the pig for two hours that night and decided to pick up the trail in the morning.
TGMM Family of the Bow   A member since 6/5/09

“I can tell by your hat that you’re not from around here.”

Casher from Brookshires Food Store in Albany, Texas during 2009 Pig Gig

Offline Gatekeeper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #292 on: March 09, 2009, 09:42:00 AM »
Day 5

In the morning there was no hunting for us. My hunting buddies elected to help track the pig. Thank you guys that was kind.

The results were much the same as the night before. At times good blood sign and other times very little. We put in another two hours of tracking and very little of it was done on a trail. At two thirds of a mile we came across a place where the pig had rooted up the ground and rolled. Ben said “I bet if you look in that pile you’ll find blood.” Sure enough there was blood mixed with dirt, leaves and grass. The pig had plugged the wound shut. Three yards from the roll area Ben found one loose blade of grass with only a hint of blood on it and from that point on the trail went dry.

What an emotional roller coaster ride, from the high of a confident hit to the low of not recovering my prey. Very disappointing…

The temperature for this day was a 30 degree swing from the day before. The high was to be in the mid 60’s. Ben and I were going to hunt the Fish Camp Pond one more night and the night was his he had first opportunity.

The evening began much the same as the night before except colder. The deer fed before us and we moved into our same positions right before dark. The wind was perfect although the wind a little strong for such a cool night. It was blowing from the northeast like it has done for the last three nights but the sky for this night was cloudy and the temp was in the high 30’s or low 40’s.

The night was very unproductive. Deer kept coming into the site blowing an alarm snort and then running out. I heard pigs a couple of times but they stayed well out of sight in the bush. Ben and I were convinced that with the deer blowing an alarm every hour the pigs were hearing that and not coming in. Although around 9:30 I scanned the bright to the east a saw a 100 / 120# black pig east of where Ben was setup. We waited for this pig to commit and come into the site but it never did.

Around 10:00 I asked Ben if he was okay with wrapping it up and he happily accepted the offer. We were both cold to the bone and it was hard to stay out in the cold when there was no action.

We drove to the head of a side road where I parked the truck and decided to walk the road into Kevin’s hunting spot rather than drive in so I wouldn’t spook any pigs that he might be hunting. I also left my bow in the truck….dumb move! I walked the road under the cover of darkness and when I thought I was close to the pond that Kevin was hunting I turned on my head lamp. Well guess what? Standing in front of me on the road 25 yards away was a black 80# pig! I clicked off the light and slowly backed about 20 yards out of the area and before leaving I turned the light on again to see if the pig was still there and it was. So I turned to the truck and started running flashing my head lamp trying to get Ben’s attention. Of course Ben has no clue what my flashing light signal means. So he jumps out of the truck’s passenger seat and into the driver’s seat thinking I want him to drive down. I make to the truck and tell him “grab your bow there is a pig in the road.” We stalk our way back to where the pig was standing but unfortunately the pig didn’t want to play the game and was gone by the time we got back to the area.

We signal Kevin with a few flashes of the light and he crawls from the bush and we head back to camp. The last night on the ranch and we would be going home pig less.

Many thanks to the Gene and Barry for arranging these hunts, I had a great time and hope to participate in another hunt next year. I would also like to thank my hunting partners Ben and Kevin. It was a good hunt and I hope we can do it again sometime.

Adios until next time!

The end

TGMM Family of the Bow   A member since 6/5/09

“I can tell by your hat that you’re not from around here.”

Casher from Brookshires Food Store in Albany, Texas during 2009 Pig Gig

Offline BMN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #293 on: March 09, 2009, 12:39:00 PM »
Great story telling Tom. Thanks for taking us along. Hogs at night is now on my list of must do.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society
Prairie Traditional Archers
TGMM Family of the Bow

The most frightening thing you are likely to encounter in nature is yourself.

Online anchorman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #294 on: March 09, 2009, 05:48:00 PM »
And yes Ben I did mean that...seems like my therapist thinks I need to come out of my shell...Lonnie

Offline fatman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #295 on: March 09, 2009, 11:05:00 PM »
Lonnie, we've got to bring you along so someone brings back pork.....  :notworthy:
Woodrow F. Call

Online anchorman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #296 on: March 10, 2009, 12:30:00 AM »
Well, I am scared to try it again as I might not be spo lucky then your guys high praise of me would go away... I would love to try that night hunting I think it would be a blast.....

But all I can say is, I hope we get good enough

Offline fatman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #297 on: March 10, 2009, 09:45:00 AM »
:bigsmyl:
Woodrow F. Call

Offline fatman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #298 on: March 10, 2009, 09:04:00 PM »
Any report on Week Five at the Chaparrosa?

:campfire:
Woodrow F. Call

Offline Missouri CK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #299 on: March 10, 2009, 10:05:00 PM »
Enjoyed all the story telling! Great job guys.

Chris
Life ain't a dress rehearsal.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©