3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wensel Bros pig gig  (Read 7423 times)

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wensel Bros pig gig
« Reply #300 on: March 10, 2009, 10:20:00 PM »
Excellent story guys   :thumbsup:  

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline BMOELLER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #301 on: March 10, 2009, 11:03:00 PM »
Great story Tom,Kevin,Ben.  Too bad you didn't get any, but sounds like it was a blast.  How about hooking up a light on your bow arm?
2009 Kansas State ASA Traditional Champion

Offline Gary Logsdon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #302 on: March 11, 2009, 12:02:00 PM »
I was at the Chapparrosa last week but had to leave early due to a death in the family.  We saw several hogs and javies with one of my guys taking an average size boar.  There were several hogs and javies hanging in camp the 3 days I was there.  Lots of BIG rattlers too!!!
Gary Logsdon

Offline Gene Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #303 on: March 11, 2009, 10:08:00 PM »
Well, Barry and I made it home safely the other night. We are now into our catch up mode but I wanted to make time to weigh in on our Texas Pig-Gig saga with a summary of the five weeks. Texas....the only place on earth where the word "corn" is a verb! There were so many great folks. A fun time was had by all. I won't name them all, as the list is too long and I don't want to neglect anyone. Suffice is to say we had great groups of very skilled and experienced bowhunters having tons of fun, which is what this passion is all about in the first place as far as I'm concerned. You Tradgangers seem to have as much fun in camp as in the field. The skill level shown in handcrafted gear was obvious. Superb bows, arrows and quivers, beautiful knapped stone points, handmade knives and sheaths(thanks Rob), tooled leather of all sorts, great food and good cooking mixed with Texas dust and a little blood made for many memories. The biggest difference this year had to do with drought conditions. Many waterhole tanks, ponds and drainage puddles were completely dry. Green grass was minimal. Fresh rooting sign and fresh wallows were very rare. Heavy dust and wind was constant. Temperatures ranged from a low of 18 to a high of 96 degrees. Several days hit highs over 90. Most of the pig movement was nocturnal. At first we blamed it on the moon but it never did get any better even with the new moon. It wasn't for a lack of pigs except for hunt three. I took four trail cameras. It was very frustrating to see dozens of hogs caught on IR film with little movement seen during daylight. I'm not smart enough to post photos here but if anyone wants to try, send me an email and I'll forward some pix. Some of the monsters I got on film would bring night sweats. Some of the stories have been told here already but I thought I'd share some of my own personal highlights. On the last night of the 4th hunt, I was in a tree watching three doe whitetails and an antlered buck work toward me. The buck carried only his left five point antler. He stopped less than twenty yards from me, then shook his head violently to throw his remaining antler high in the air. It was the first time I ever witnessed a buck actually shed. What got me was how far he threw it. The antler reached an arch apex of probably twelve feet high before hitting the ground no less than twenty feet from where he stood. It did not just fall off his head. If I was a buck, I know I would have walked over to check out my own head gear but he just walked past me, passing right under my tree. I only wish I would have got it on film but dust kept my camcorder in its case. Twenty minutes later, I suddenly heard a hawk scream directly over my head, then hit something on the ground about sixty yards from me behind some brush. There was a lot of heavy wing beating on the ground for several minutes but what he nailed was out of my sight. I suspect it was a squirrel or possibly a turkey but no other noises came from the scene to give me a clue other than the wing beats. Just before dark, with three coons chowing down, the silence was broken again when six spotted hogs of about 100 pounds each absolutely ran in to the corn I had thrown in front of my treestand. I was sorting pigs out to pick a spot on a broadside hog when a huge black form drifted in from the left. THE MAN had made his entrance. I slowly swung over, drew and sent a Woodsman through his heart. He crashed off the river bank and made it about 75 yards before sending a loud thud to my ears. What a great ending to a hard week's hunt. One other highlight came the first week when I actually caught a whitetail buck casting an antler on my trail camera. Get this...the photo was very blurry due to movement but the antler was frozen in mid-air probably 8" above the buck's head. To make matters even worse, I accidentally deleted the photo. To make matters worse still, when I went back to get the antler, it was gone. I figured a coyote or coon must have carried it off until two weeks later when I watched the second buck throw his shed antler twenty feet or more. I never thought to look in the tall grass twenty feet away. I suspect its still laying there twenty feet or more from where the buckstood. One other incident happened that surprised me. On the fifth hunt, I was hunting a pond Woody was kind enough to share the location of with me after hunt two. Just at dark I could see five decent sized hogs walking toward me from the east end of the pond. Suddenly I looked down to see what I thought was eight loaves of bread eating my corn. I figured them to be piglets with no accompanying sow but when I lifted my binoculars in the low light, I discovered not piglets but eight full grown ducks chowing down on my corn. Here comes the pigs closer. This could get good. The ducks held their ground. When the pigs got just feet away, all eight ducks stretched their necks and flapped their wings like mad ganders, actually running the pigs off! What a bunch of pansy pigs! You'd think a duck would be no match for a grown pig but I was wrong. I also need to apologise for the fiasco with the third hunt on the Mobo Ranch. This is the first time we ever contracted a ranch without first visiting it to check things out. We were lead to believe by Bob Zaiglin (the wildlife biologist) that it had lots of hogs and had never been commercially hunted. It was "a deer operation with hog problems." I have to say the facilities, the ranch itself and the ranch personel were all great. There were just no hogs. As someone previously noted, we discovered helicopter census data from October 2008 that counted 61 hogs on 10,444 acres. Then they shot some of those remaining last deer season. Trail cameras showed one small group of identifiable hogs making the rounds to each feeder nightly. The ranch foreman said we could come back to hunt free (why?) Its easy to say "thats why they call it hunting" but as I told the man, you don't open a fishing lodge on a lake with no fish in it. Barry and I will try our hardest to get some money back for those who hunted. The sad part is that we had guys drive from Cleveland, Ohio, northern Michigan, northern North Dakota, etc. and not see a single pig all week, which is more than a shame. Anyway, except for hunt three, things went well, we had good but hard hunting, bad weather and poor habitat conditions but plenty of pigs on all but the third hunt. We'll try harder next year. Hopefully Texas will get enough rain between now and then to get things back to normal.

Offline Cody Roiter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #304 on: March 11, 2009, 10:42:00 PM »
Great post guys................

Cody
We as archer's must keep it alive by helping others into the sport WE LOVE.

Offline knife river

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #305 on: March 12, 2009, 12:22:00 AM »

Gene, that pond was an amazing spot.  I think JC and I may have seen that hog with the big tusks.
TGMM Family of the Bow

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."
  Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline knife river

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #306 on: March 12, 2009, 12:24:00 AM »
Questions for the experienced hog guys out there:  how much does the hog in the second photo weigh?

This isn't a trick question -- I don't have hero shots of that hog on a scale.  Just genuinely curious.
TGMM Family of the Bow

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."
  Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline knife river

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #307 on: March 12, 2009, 12:30:00 AM »

TGMM Family of the Bow

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline Gatekeeper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #308 on: March 12, 2009, 08:30:00 AM »
These pictures make me   :bigsmyl:
TGMM Family of the Bow   A member since 6/5/09

“I can tell by your hat that you’re not from around here.”

Casher from Brookshires Food Store in Albany, Texas during 2009 Pig Gig

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #309 on: March 12, 2009, 09:01:00 AM »
Woody... just a guess but I'd say 300. (give or take 2.631#)

Nice big pig.  :jumper:    :jumper:
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Barry Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #310 on: March 12, 2009, 10:53:00 AM »
For you guys hunting at night with the flashlights, I was experimenting with our little Mainbeam flashlights with and without the red lens. When I heard game approaching I'd click it on the lowest setting and just leave it on. That lowest setting will last for 65 hours so it doesn't drain much. Then as the game got close I'd soft touch the button to increase the lumens. That setting (70 lumens) seemed okay but one more soft touch seemed the best. The 117 lumen setting will last for four hours so it's not a problem. We don't recommend using the 220 lumens for more than ten minutes straight as it gets too hot. That much light isn't needed in this situation anyway. I found the white light seemed to spook certain hogs and didn't others, whereas with the red lens none of the game appeared to know the light was even on. I found my Mainbeam will wedge tight and perfectly between the hood of my bow quiver and my bow limb. It even remained wedged and stable after the shot. But I also noticed movement of the activated light source made some game uneasy. Therefore I mounted it solid to the frame of my treestand and pointed it where I expected my shot to be. As Biggie said, stay behind the light source. I can't say I've ever done this before but found testing it interesting. Game also seemed very aware and somewhat intimidated by their own shadows. Also, regarding the night time feeding activity, I thought it was because of the fullmoon. But we found primary movement also in the dark of the moon phases. Especially for the big boars. I'm thinking this was also attributed to the extreme dry conditions. I think the night air being somewhat cooler there might have been more moisture from condensation on the vegetation. Just a theory though. BW

Offline knife river

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #311 on: March 12, 2009, 11:39:00 AM »
Originally posted by Barry Wensel:
Especially for the big boars. I'm thinking this was also attributed to the extreme dry conditions. I think the night air being somewhat cooler there might have been more moisture from condensation on the vegetation. Just a theory though. BW
I think you're on to something.  When JC, Rob, and I sat that pond the last night, only one hog came in and it was BIIGGGG.  It walked OVER the corn and went straight to the water, where it drank and quickly wallowed, then left the same way it came.  It never fed.  It wasn't spooked at all -- just needed to cool off -- and disappeared back to the south into the thick stuff.  Like big, mature whitetail bucks, the big boars might also be night runners.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline IB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #312 on: March 12, 2009, 11:42:00 AM »
I'll have to say it weighs more that a Buff TONGUE and less that FUDGE   :goldtooth:

Offline knife river

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #313 on: March 12, 2009, 01:04:00 PM »
:biglaugh:    :biglaugh:    :biglaugh:
TGMM Family of the Bow

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Online anchorman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #314 on: March 12, 2009, 02:39:00 PM »
Hey Gene and Barry,

This is Lonnie and I was there for the 4th hunt. Just wanted to let you know that I had a great time even tho conditions were less than ideal. It was still fun. Looking forward to it again next year. I know from this year I am going to be doing some night shooting with a flashlight tho.....Glad to hear you guys made it back safely. I'll try and be good enough or at least stay that way.lol

Offline ratgunner

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #315 on: March 12, 2009, 02:46:00 PM »
knife river, great pics.
TGMM "Brotherhood of the Bow"   "Family of the Bow"

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #316 on: March 12, 2009, 03:03:00 PM »
More pix from Gene, some might end up being doubles of what woody posted.....

Perfect shot!

Dinner time....

Impressive!

Oreo.....

Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #317 on: March 12, 2009, 03:08:00 PM »
another big'un...

2 spotted hogs....

This hog seems to have a cross on it....not sure who killed it though.....

Curt } >>--->   

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #318 on: March 12, 2009, 03:11:00 PM »
Uncle B.....

Uncle G....

Can't wait till next year!!!
Curt } >>--->   

Offline Gatekeeper