3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wensel Bros pig gig  (Read 7454 times)

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wensel Bros pig gig
« Reply #80 on: February 15, 2009, 10:23:00 PM »
HEY!!!
Where's Joe?  :readit:  
Don't tell me you made him stay home and miss all the carnage! (Oh, and Charlie's arm doesn't look any worse than mine when I run into a patch of full mailboxes while delivering razorcards.)

Great pictures as usual, Woody. Your skills blow mine clean out of the water.
Killdeer   :thumbsup:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline hormoan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #81 on: February 15, 2009, 10:29:00 PM »
Woody ya have to spend several weeks with Vance. To realize Vance is smiling in that photo  :biglaugh:

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #82 on: February 15, 2009, 10:33:00 PM »
Well if you think the Bulls were something, these were the Girls...not exactly the Dallas Cheerleaders!  But you sure knew right off you were in Texas  :)  

The camaraderie in camp was special too  :scared:  

Of course there was no lack of Great Food.

Sadly all Great Adventures have to come to an end...Doc

TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline knife river

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #83 on: February 15, 2009, 10:46:00 PM »
The reward for persevering?  I'll prime the pump a little...

I won't spoil the successful hunters' stories, but everybody has a lot to tell.  I spent most of my time with JC and it was a treat every minute.  He's a gifted storyteller and I'll wait for him to hopefully recount some of our experiences with hogs.  I'll say this much, though:  JC is one of the best shots with a bow I've had the pleasure to witness.  But no one, not even someone with JC's enormous talent, can be accurate when giggling at the antics of a sounder of fat little comedians.  One of them is the luckiest hog alive.     :D  

JC and I witnessed some things that, honestly, if I heard someone else describe them, I'd think they were spinning a yarn.  And if I'd seen them by myself, I'd hesitate to talk about them:  who would possibly believe this stuff?  But he and I sat 50 yards apart and for 1 1/2 hours watched hogs do things that flat-out amazed us.  The only things we didn't see was a sow give birth or a boar sprout wings and fly loop-dee-loops over the pond.  We saw everything else, though, and this was the place.  We never named it, surprisingly, although Hog Nirvana would have been fitting.  And we never loosed an arrow at a hog there:  again, there are some very, very fortunate hams on the hoof on the Chaparossa Ranch.

JC and I were joined by Robtattoo for two days.  He's another hunting partner that's damn near impossible to beat.  While JC and I soaked up info about life in England, Rob used all of his senses to learn about south Texas hogs.

Maybe JC can post the video, but let's just say that Rob definitely has the inside scoop on poop.     :biglaugh:  

TGMM Family of the Bow

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."
  Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline hormoan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #84 on: February 15, 2009, 11:03:00 PM »
What did that taste like Rob?? Pork    :biglaugh:

Offline knife river

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #85 on: February 15, 2009, 11:31:00 PM »
Here's the requisite "pretty" picture.  And there were many scenes of comparable beauty, despite the tinder-dry conditions, the dust, and the wind.  

To get a feel for the place, get somebody to stab your ankles with knitting needles while you wipe your face with 220 grit sandpaper.  And pour a double handful of powdery dirt in your ears, too.  GGG

The bottom line for my week:  I went with these.

And came home with this:

The glass point is still out there.  I looked for the hog off and on for three days.  After talking to guys with more experience, I think  the hog will live, a lot wiser and somewhat sorer for the experience.  As much as I regret losing the animal, I'd take the shot again, but aim an inch or two lower.  Even I can't miss at 5 feet, but stout bones on a grown hog can stop a heavy arrow -- especially one that's still in big-time paradox.  I hope that some hunter down the road will bone out his trophy and find a real surprise.     :thumbsup:
TGMM Family of the Bow

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."
  Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #86 on: February 16, 2009, 06:43:00 AM »
Good stuff Woody!! Great pix bro    :notworthy:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #87 on: February 16, 2009, 08:03:00 AM »
Wow great pics and sounds like everyone just had a blast.I'll have to try and make that hunt sometime.Looks and sounds like you guy's are haveing way to much fun for me to be missing out on.
Who is the camo clad cowboy standing right between Gene & Barry ? is that one of those guy's son ? He looks just like them same height same weight ? bd

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #88 on: February 16, 2009, 09:46:00 AM »
Thanks for sharing....and the pics...sound like yet another special trip was had by all....as I knew it would be.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Kingwouldbe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #89 on: February 16, 2009, 10:10:00 AM »
These kind of hunts and the people you meet is what Tradgang is all about, thanks for taking us with you   :thumbsup:

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #90 on: February 16, 2009, 10:13:00 AM »
Tippet, sorry brother, I didn't even realize you had snuck some of them pix in    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:  

The Gene and Barry "butthead" pic is priceless    :biglaugh:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Gary Kellar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #91 on: February 16, 2009, 10:18:00 AM »
In the group photo; who is the extinguished, Santa Claus looking individual in the bright red Christmas tie?
If at first you don't succeed, do it like your wife told you to, to begin with.

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #92 on: February 16, 2009, 11:00:00 AM »
"extinguished?!"    :biglaugh:   Vance. A fine gentleman and a great hunter!
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #93 on: February 16, 2009, 11:11:00 AM »
If ya'll look closely at Rob's face sniffin' the doo...then go back and look at Woody's creative cooking of pancakes  :bigsmyl:   I tell ya that Woody is an artist in multiple mediums   :thumbsup:  Doc
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline Jeff D. Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #94 on: February 16, 2009, 02:04:00 PM »
Great pics and stories.  My buddy and I are arriving this coming weekend for the week 4 hunt.  Any tips on the best deal on a rental vehicle at Dallas/Ft. Worth?  If I book now with the ususal companies, we'll pay more for the rental SUV than we did for our plane tickets   :eek:  

Can we get by with a car at the ranch for hunts 1/4?  How about a moped?  :(    Cash flow is a little low right now....

Can't wait to get to Texas!
Jeff
Genesis 27:3 "Take your bow and a quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game for me."

Proud PBS regular member - if you are a serious bowhunter, check us out at     http://probow.discussion.community

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #95 on: February 16, 2009, 02:27:00 PM »
Week 4 is a different area but if it is anything at all like the terrain of week 2 hunt then I wouldn't go with less than a 4X4. Dry roads might be OK but if it rained/flooded then I think you might well become stranded!
NRA Life Member

Offline Gary Logsdon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #96 on: February 16, 2009, 03:54:00 PM »
Hunt weeks 1 and 4 are at the Vinson Ranch where I hunted last year.  IF it's relatively DRY and you don't hunt one of the areas where you have to cross the Brazos river you may be OK, however, if it's wet or been wet the problems can start before you even enter the ranch . . . a couple areas going in had some dandy ruts last year.  I've also hunted the ranch used in weeks 2 and 5 where the sand can get pretty deep to deal with any vehicle with low clearance, although I've seen guys use small cars there too when it's dry.  They always looked a little stressed whenever I passed then:^(
Gary Logsdon

Offline IB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #97 on: February 16, 2009, 04:03:00 PM »

I'm HOME....Got in bout 8:30 evening last. Doug and Barney,are hauling their share of TX sand home I hope, Mr Campbell still has to pound out about 6/8 hr and Barney about 4...Their gettin closer.

Thank You fellas one and all for the the GREAT TIME!   :help:

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #98 on: February 16, 2009, 05:04:00 PM »
Vance,
I came with 50# right on the nose but in San Antonio it was 58#   :scared:   Steve was over weight leaving Boston but they let it go without an extra charge.  It would have been $50 extra per bag!!!!  I could just see a twinkle in the ticket counter guy's eyes.  That is until I pulled out my spare small duffel that I always pack for an extra carry on.  

The eyes changed dramatically...the ticket counter guy was crying and Steve had a smile on his face as I handed him my bandanna to dry his eyes   :bigsmyl:   Course after a week of sand storms that bandanna wasn't exactly sanitary...sorry Steve   :eek:   Doc
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #99 on: February 16, 2009, 05:25:00 PM »
That was funny Doc!   :scared:
NRA Life Member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©