3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Archery on a budget...lets share  (Read 1842 times)

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Archery on a budget...lets share
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2009, 08:14:00 AM »
I'm sure a lot of members have seen this thread, but it falls in line with cost saving hunts so,,,

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=39;t=000219

It was almost a cash free season that ended in success!
>>--TGMM--> Family of the Bow

Offline TradPaul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2009, 09:27:00 AM »
Well, Let's see. I have sold everything extra i have, I trade what I cant sell, for other things that I want. I make quivers and sell those. I always use the Classifieds. I reuse everything that isnt broken. And i try and take care of everything i have. It's working so far.

P.
"Dont let whats good, steal you away from whats best"

Offline Bear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2009, 09:50:00 AM »
KSdan... You da man! I liked everything you had to say. Good stuff. Thats what hunting is all about, although difficult to discipline oneself.

The part about public land though,   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:  I'm glad I'm not the only one with such convictions. I do pay for hunting rights on the property surrounding a nearby campground. I sort of stumbled upon it while camping there to hunt the last lease I belonged to.  :D  It's really just a big bedding area and the cost is negligable compared to the amount of doe meat we can count on. As for joining a big lease, and private heard management... I'm over it, and about fed up with how hunting media portrays it as normal and good hunting!
Twin Oaks Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member
Traditional Bowhunters of Tennessee

"just remember, you can't put the wood back on"

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2009, 06:02:00 PM »
I have always done things the cheap way not by choice but because I have had too. This last fall I took on butchering on the side.Four elk and 3 deer later I was able to buy a new recurve that has got me back into trad archery.Boy it has sure made for a fun time.

Offline stringstretcher

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2009, 07:37:00 PM »
Any other budget saving ideas out there?
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me [some] venison

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Broken Arrow 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2009, 07:41:00 PM »
I am going to learn how to knap so I can make my own hunting heads and look throughout the timber for natural arrow shafts! I also love going to the YARD SALES
Its not the size of the animal you hunt that matters. Its how you hunt the animal.

Offline Frank

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2009, 09:58:00 PM »
You can go to Home Depot and pick up a mess of bamboo tamato stakes for about 5 bucks.  Straighten them and you have arrows.

I do alot of trading, good place to get primitive supplies is paleoplanet.  

Wife always jokes that it's amazing how we can trade roadkill for sticks and rocks and both parties walk away happy.

For sinew, hit the local deer cooler during rifle deer season.  Years ago I took a trash can with a plastic bag.  They filled it up, I did this twice.

You can also get deer skin pieces.  Some try to charge, but there are many who will just throw them in a pile for you.

Dried it and you guessed.  Traded it for: arrow shafts, feathers, rock for arrowheads, strings, and leather.

A fresh car hit otter was traded off for an osage stave.  Now, the otter was over 60" long.  Just as long as the stave I traded for.

I got my new bow, 60" osage recurve, 65lbs at 27" in a trade.  Allan made me a bow, I made Allan a bow.

Yard sales, goodwill, flea markets, any little store that sells used goods is a good bet.  I've found prestine bows for 25 bucks, found a Bear A Riser for 1.50.  ****ed it for close to 200 bucks.
Can't cheat the mountain,
Mountain got it.

Offline bowfiend

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2009, 10:06:00 PM »
Wow, those are good ideas. I just stopped eating - that saved me some money.
Is it September yet?!

Online trad_bowhunter1965

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2009, 10:21:00 PM »
I do a lot of trading with others to get the stuff I need.I read Primitive Bowhunter there a lot of cool stuff in it.
" I am driven by those thing that rouse my traditional sense of archery and Bowhunting" G Fred Asbell

Trad Gang Hall of Fame
Yellowstone Longbows
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate Member
Retired 38 years DoD civilian.

Offline Wednesday Caste

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2009, 12:57:00 AM »
Trade, thrift stores, garage sale.  
Learn how to refinish gear- hunting or fishing(search on websites like this for instructions). Don't worry about a crappy finish. If it really bothers you, light sanding and another coat will fix it.  My bows are from the 60s, bamboo rods from 50s or earlier and all of them have had my TLC on them and are all used.  I find a lot more satisfaction when I put some time into it and it also keeps a little history of my favorite sport(s) alive.
Thy word [is] a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path. Psalms 119:105
Gracious God; wonderful wife; 2 beautiful kids; bamboo fly rods; recurve bows; and a 57 Chevy. Life is a blessing.
Bear Kodiak Hunter 58" 46#; Ben Pearson Colt 62" 45#

Offline LKH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2009, 01:20:00 AM »
I married a woman who can sew anything.  Buy our material online by the bolt.

Offline Day Dreamer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2009, 01:26:00 AM »
Goodwill and sales I hope to never pay full price for nothing and also try to sell some of my old or never hardly used stuff to buy other stuff. Always on the lookout, kinda tough when I like quality gear that will last. My problem is it usually takes me the second time around to get what works for me. But I really admire the hunter that is content with what he has.

Offline Earl E. Nov...mber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2009, 07:12:00 AM »
Anyone else raise a garden and can or freeze for the winter?? How about picking wild berries for jelly and preserves? Ride your bike to work, carry a sandwich.. How about patching your jeans?
Many have died for my freedom.
One has died for my soul.

Offline jct

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2009, 07:46:00 AM »
HA ! Earl E. Nov..mber, I do all those except the bike. Little tough puting a truckload of tools on a bike but I'm with you on the rest. Saves tons of money over time

Offline Shifting Shadow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2009, 10:34:00 AM »
stringstretcher, this is the most practical thread published in a while!

A lot of good ideas were presented: shop at the Goodwill, yard sales, trade, make ones own stuff, buy used, budget, and more.

my 2 cents: number 1, be content with what one has. Americans tend to go to extremes or excess on many things. I'm still working on this one and probably will be for the rest of my life. But now I'm down from a bunch of bows to 1. It cost $165 new. The economy is stressed and so is my budget. But it's an attitude thing. I'm happy with less.
"Keep the bow you like or you will be looking forever." -H.J.

One bow. One arrow. My ideal.

Offline va

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2009, 10:50:00 AM »
I keep working on Shifting Shadow's thought about contentment.  I am learning to be content in whatever situation.

I also started making archery stuff even before I started shooting.  Kid bows make me a favorite uncle...  plant stakes make arrows for stumping...  leather scraps make great shooting gloves...  osage is everywhere in Kansas, so I have an endless supply of staves...  The list goes on.

Contentment is the issue.
Poor folk with poor ways, but rich just the same.

Offline blind one

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2009, 10:57:00 AM »
Same here..Yard sales, goodwill, trading, auctions and using coupons..Nothing wrong with leftovers for supper the next day either. We started a garden last year,picking berrys for our jam and such. We are trying to stop smoking also, BIG expense here we dont need..
"To die is nothing. One is here, One is no longer here. It is only at the end one must be able to say 'I was a man'"...

Offline Raven

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2009, 11:02:00 AM »
"Use it up, wear it out, or go with out"!  :readit:    :readit:  All good advice that has saved my butt more than once.

All sound advice above! To bad it takes hard times to get people doing what they should have been doing all the time.

Good luck and happy hunting!  :thumbsup:    :campfire:    :archer:  

Raven >>>>-------->

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2009, 11:03:00 AM »
If you have a craft, share it with others.  I learned how to make bow strings a few years ago and showed a tradganger how to do it.  Now he makes a very  nice string.  Hopefully he will pass this on to others.

Also do the yard sale thing.  Bought a  recurve for $.25  (25 cents) once at a sale, made my own string and shot a fox with the bow that year.  I also buy all my hunting clothes at yard sales.

Offline Jack Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2009, 11:19:00 AM »
I like others started making my own equipment; bows from staves, arrows from boards, broadheads from used saw blades, and what not. Buy wool at surplus stores, not as pretty as the fancy stuff but works geat. Making my own leather goods, solo stalker, arm guards. When hunting go with at least one other hunter to share expense. Camp in location so as to be able to hunt right from camp not drive to other locations to start hunting from. Made my own shooting range in my yard dont have to drive anywhere to practice.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©