3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tuning the Bow to the Arrow?  (Read 362 times)

Offline Tater John

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Tuning the Bow to the Arrow?
« on: February 07, 2009, 01:28:00 PM »
I need help getting a RT Hand Robertson Falcon performing better. The planning method is what I use for arrow tuning but I need to tune the bow by adjusting the side/strike plate.

Holding the bow at arms length with the string center on the limbs the sight window is way right. With an bareshaft nocked, it looks like the string is centered through the arrow.

Do I want to adjust the side/strike plate thickness so the left side of the severing lines up with the right side of the arrow point? Its hard to hold the bow steady enough while eyeballing everything up. If I adjust it this way is this going to be, close enough for starters and I should just go shoot a few hundred arrows through it, then look into 'tweaking' it later? How would I know whether I need to go thicker or thinner?

Rusty
"Mystic rhythms,Under northern lights or the African sun,Primitive things stir the hearts of everyone"

Offline O.L. Adcock

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tuning the Bow to the Arrow?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009, 01:50:00 PM »
Rusty, the best starting point is the arrow at the tip, right side of it lined up with the string or a touch more outboard from that, right-handed. Opposite for left hanfed..... You know to go thicker or thinner by if the arrows are acting stiff or weak. Stiff, use a thinner strike plate, weak, use a thicker one. A little bit goes a long way!  :) ....O.L.
---Six NAA/FITA National and World flight records.----

Offline Tater John

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2009, 06:38:00 PM »
:thumbsup:  I've never worked through tuning a bow to an arrow, wasn't quite sure where the starting point was.

Thanks,

Rusty
"Mystic rhythms,Under northern lights or the African sun,Primitive things stir the hearts of everyone"

Offline SCATTERSHOT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2009, 06:44:00 PM »
There you have it, from the master.
"Experience is a series of non - fatal mistakes."

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2009, 08:49:00 PM »
I did exactly that yesterday!   I have been having trouble getting an arrow match for my first laminated flatbow.  Yesterday I took the strike plate pad off and that improved things, so I took the bow inside and took a rasp to the strikeplate area.   Took the bow to its first 3D shoot today... 100 targets and it did every bit as well as I am capable of doing.     It's a fine tuning idea I'm going to keep in mind for future efforts.
Dick in Seattle

"It ain't how well the bow you shoot shoots, it's how well you shoot the bow you shoot."

Offline Tater John

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2009, 09:01:00 PM »
OK! Now to impose on the master...

Heres where I'm at:

1/8" leather and stike plate puts the arrow point about even with the string. At 15-17 yds I got a weak arrow indication.

I doubled the leather, 1/4" and the strike plate puts the arrow point about half the shaft diameter to the left side of the string. To much space? The arrows group together now but I can only shoot from about 7 yds, its dark now. I'll step back tomorrow.

I'm shooting 28 1/4" 2016's, 145 gr. points. #49 @ 28" drawing 28". Should I move up to 2018's?

This is confusing compared to the planning method.

Rusty

Offline Tater John

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2009, 09:12:00 PM »
Well that was so easy I feel foolish now for bringing it up in the first place.

Thanks O.L., where ever you are. The information on your homepage is invaluable. I like adjusting the strike, I'm sold...

Rusty

Offline O.L. Adcock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2009, 09:57:00 PM »
It's just one of several tools in the tool box that many seem to forget. Once upon a time we didn't have all these arrow choices so you HAD to tune the bow to the arrows. Ever wonder why so many bows from the 60's were drilled for plungers?...O.L.
---Six NAA/FITA National and World flight records.----

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©