3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 2-blade and 4-blade wound channels/blood trails...  (Read 798 times)

Offline Bakes168

• Trad Bowhunter
2-blade and 4-blade wound channels/blood trails...
« on: February 07, 2009, 05:00:00 PM »
For those of you who have used both 2-blades and 4-blades...Have you notices a significant difference between the entry and exit wounds and blood trails of each. I have read that a 2-blade hole will easily seal up because it is a thin slit, and the bleeders on a 4-blade relieve the holes to allow blood to flow more freely.

What have you experienced?

Zack
"A hunt based only on trophies taken falls short of what the ultimate goal should be...time to commune with your inner soul as you share the outdoors with the birds, animals, and fish that live there"
-Fred Bear

James 2:19-20

USMC Infantry

Offline Bakes168

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 2-blade and 4-blade wound channels/blood trails...
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009, 05:21:00 PM »
I suppose that if you hit them in the right place you won't need to worry about a blood trail, but I'm just curious.
I've got Delta 4-blades and I still need to practice at getting the main blades sharp, but I can get a 2-blade shaving sharp.
"A hunt based only on trophies taken falls short of what the ultimate goal should be...time to commune with your inner soul as you share the outdoors with the birds, animals, and fish that live there"
-Fred Bear

USMC Infantry

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2009, 05:37:00 PM »
i would prefer a sharp 2 blade over a not so sharp anything else.  i shoot a low poundage bow (45 to 50 at my draw length).  For me personally i've gotten better results with the 2 blade magnus stinger & i tried the silverflames this past year with great success....jmho...also if you are talking about deer primarily the 2 blades are perfect.
Randy
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline Jeff Roberts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2009, 05:56:00 PM »
With deer a two or three or four blade will work great as long as it is sharp. Sharp broadhead equals more blood loss. On hogs I prefer a multiple blade head as the wound tends to clog more on hogs. As far as where you hit them goes, all will work, it is the marginal hits where a sharp multiblade broadhead gives you an edge. I prefer a well place shot to put the odds in my favor.
Living and hunting with a traditional mindset.

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2009, 06:55:00 PM »
I went to 4 blades this deer season, and there is no comparison in blood trails. The four blade win hands down over a two blade, I shoot a light poundage setup 45# at my draw, I use four blade black diamonds, both deer I shot were passthroughs at 10 yards.

Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline J.Williams

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2009, 08:09:00 PM »
I hear ya Jim.I've taken a few deer now with 2 blades and get great penetration but haven't had much for bloodtrails.Gonna try 4bl.Stingers this season and see what happens.

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2009, 08:09:00 PM »
I shot two blades for a while.  I liked the way they shot and sharpened, but the blood trail for me was not as good.  I also had a couple times where I hit the edge of a rib with the flat on a quartering shot and got what looked like a little deflection going in.  The two makes a slit for me and a three makes more of a triangle hole.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline LKH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2009, 09:29:00 PM »
I shoot both and really don't see too much difference.  For elk I like the 2 since it tends to give better penetration and I think that's more important than the extra blade.  

I don't need much of a blood trail.  Most of the time you can watch the bou fall down.

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2009, 09:40:00 PM »
Hey.
Hit  the sweet spot and they go down.  I've shot 2, 3 and 2 with bleeders and I do like the  125  magnus with bleeders best. Just an opinion for sure.
Joe
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline Bakes168

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2009, 09:46:00 PM »
Sounds like I'm gonna have to give sharpening those 4-blades a bit more practice.
-Fred Bear

USMC Infantry

Offline BEN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2009, 11:26:00 AM »
I've used the 2 and 4 bl. Stingers and the blood trail was way more profuse with the 4 bl. No comparison IMO.

Ben
Ben
M.O.A.B  54# Thunderstick
Ancient Spirits 62# "Thunderhawk"
Browning Wasp 45#

"VEGETARIAN"----Old Indian word for "BAD HUNTER".

Offline Aggie1993

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2009, 11:44:00 AM »
I have taken several hogs and deer with both. I like the Magnus Stinger with a bleeder and REALLY like the Muzzy Phantom.  Blood trails have been much better with these.
Phil 4:13 "I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength."

Kempf Trophy Hunter 58" 51@28
Kempf Kwyk Styk 58" 51@28
Kempf Kwyk Styk 58" 54@28
Kempf Trophy Hunter 58" 51@28

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2009, 12:26:00 PM »
The most horrific blood trail I've ever had the pleasure of creating was done by the work of a well placed four blade but...my shortest recovery by far was with a two blade head.

Just put them where they belong.  :D
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2009, 12:30:00 PM »
I have tryed 2 blades and did not have much of a blood trail,But my snuffers always have a big blood trail.  :bigsmyl:
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2009, 12:45:00 PM »
The four blade is definitely a better blood trail hands down. The thin slit of a two blade hole does hinder blood loss over the flaps of a three or four blade cut. The draw back is loss of penetration from the increase friction or drag of more blades. I overcome this by using heavy brass inserts and smaller diameter four blade heads.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Online SuperK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2009, 02:14:00 PM »
It has been my experience that I get my best bloodtrails when I get a passthru.  For  ya'll that shoot 55+ lbs., penetration is not going to be much of a problem on deer with any decent broadhead.  For folk like me that shoot around 45 lbs., you have to be more careful with your selection.  Lots of people here seem to think that how sharp your broadhead is and what it hits is more important than the number of blades.  As for me, a 2 blade gives me more consistant passthrus than any other.  I would use the one that shoots the best (for your set-up) that I could get the sharpest.
They exchanged the truth of GOD for a lie,and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator-who is forever praised.Amen Romans 1:25 NIV

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2009, 02:31:00 PM »
The two blade Bear Razorheads(the old green ones) and the two blade 125 grain Magnus heads have worked just fine for me on deer and feral hogs. However, the three blade Wensel Woodsman is tough to beat when it comes to volume of blood on the ground. For thick skinned animals, I will often times opt for the WW for just this reason.   :thumbsup:

Offline Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2009, 04:34:00 PM »
On my annual hog hunt I have switched from the two blade to a 4 blade Muzzy Phanton since they leave a pretty big hole. With hunting hogs in florida sometimes you need all the blood you can get since the palmatteos are so thick and you can't come back in the morning to take up the bllodtrail. With the two blades on hogs the fat can clog the hole right up but withthe 4 blade hole it is always open.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2009, 05:26:00 PM »
When compareing small two blades to 3 or 4 blades the multiblades work best most times.When comparing the big 1 1/2 plus wide two blades to the others it goes the other way for me due to having two holes with the two blades more often.jmo
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©