3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bear Razorheads or Greenheads???  (Read 382 times)

Offline Bakes168

• Trad Bowhunter
Bear Razorheads or Greenheads???
« on: February 07, 2009, 05:18:00 PM »
I have heard the old Bear heads being called both and I wondered what the difference was. In the book I Remember Papa Bear they never mentioned any Greenhead, only Razorheads that were introduced in '56, then the Super Razorhead in '78, and finally the stainless steel Razorheads in '81.

Why have I heard/read so many people call them "Greenies", and "Old Bear Greenheads".

Thanks
Zack  :archer:
"A hunt based only on trophies taken falls short of what the ultimate goal should be...time to commune with your inner soul as you share the outdoors with the birds, animals, and fish that live there"
-Fred Bear

James 2:19-20

USMC Infantry

Offline Bowmania

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bear Razorheads or Greenheads???
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009, 05:31:00 PM »
Mold
I'm not putting up with this guys shit and dogging me.

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2009, 06:10:00 PM »
The older glue on version is a pale pea-ish green. The newer ones' (screw in)color varies by weight.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline Bakes168

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2009, 06:22:00 PM »
I have seen pictures of and own a lot of the old ones and they are all a tan color.
"A hunt based only on trophies taken falls short of what the ultimate goal should be...time to commune with your inner soul as you share the outdoors with the birds, animals, and fish that live there"
-Fred Bear

USMC Infantry

Offline Bakes168

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2009, 06:22:00 PM »
Even in the really old Fred Bear movies they looked tan.
-Fred Bear

USMC Infantry

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2009, 06:24:00 PM »
Maybe they are even older? The ones I have are green...Im sure someone who really knows will be along shortly.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline trapperDave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2009, 06:35:00 PM »
maybe you have a degree of color blindness  :)

mine are green

Offline Gerry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2009, 06:44:00 PM »
Back in the 80's they came in an olive drab color with a short screw in BD adaptor and a chisel tip.  I have a bunch of both and they still work great.

Offline Bakes168

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2009, 06:52:00 PM »
Originally posted by trapperDave:
maybe you have a degree of color blindness   :)  
Could be...Or maybe I just don't have the REALLY old ones. And the cameras used to make the really old Fred Bear films weren't that great compared to todays, so the color could have been off.
-Fred Bear

USMC Infantry

Offline Bakes168

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2009, 06:57:00 PM »
Originally posted by Gerry:
Back in the 80's they came in an olive drab color
Or maybe I have the REALLY old ones and yours are newer and from the 80's like Gerry said.
And I've seen several of the first model Fred came out with in '56, it had a rounded or "bubble" ferrul (which was discontinued because they would break on hard hits), and all of them were a tan color. I saw some of the Razorhead time-line show cases at the K-zoo expo, from '56 and through the early '60s, and I'm pretty sure all of them were tan also.
-Fred Bear

USMC Infantry

Offline rappstar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2009, 07:02:00 PM »
i think they were the same color up till the '80s or so?  i think the differences from the earlier to the later was the ferrul design.

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2009, 07:52:00 PM »
I think.........oh, I don't think because it gives me a headache!   :banghead:

I have almost a dozen, and there all green. Don't know how old they are.
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline Greg in Delton MI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2009, 09:54:00 PM »
The green ones are the Teflon Super Razorheads that came out at the start of the compound era, the ones I have found were mounted on a threaded 5 degree short adapter for converta-point cedar or aluminums. Never found a grren one not previously glued.
Greg

Long as I can pull this bow
Long as I can hike the hills and walk among the trees
I keep on trying
My goals are high but I don't care
The fun is in the getting there, it justifies the end
So try, try again

Mark Baker, "Feathers thru the Wind"

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2009, 01:02:00 AM »
From Wade's book  "  in 1978 an AMO 8-32 threaded adapter was added to the Razerhead and the color was changed from the traditional aspen green to a dark green.  This signaled the end of the production of the 1964 Razorhead."
ChuckC

Offline StickBowManMI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2009, 01:39:00 AM »
I have seen both green ones and a tan colored Bear Razorhead.

Offline Danny Roberts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2009, 06:27:00 AM »
Why did they ever quit making them, especially the comeback trad archery has had ?

Offline Tree man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2009, 11:15:00 AM »
There were yellow/tan Razorheads, peasoup green Razorheads and the last few years of production before the switch to stainless steel blades and aluminium ferrules the Razorhead glued onto screw-in adaptors was charcoal grey and factory chiseltipped. They are all good but doublecheck the grey ones-about 5% have the blade mounted out of square. Ostensibly the reason for discontinueing the Razorhead glue-ons was that the equipment for mass producing them was wearing out and the glue on market didn't justify retooling.
The Razorhead isn't the strongest design but it has proved adequate on train loads of critturs and it was probably the easiest head to sharpen ever mass produced and is about the least prone to "windplane" of any 2/1 ratio broadhead. The razorhead was perfect for Joe Twoseason who never shot his broadheads before the season and who knew nearly nothing about arrow tuning.(And it was /is an excellent head for serious bowhunters also.)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©