3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: washing wool ?  (Read 589 times)

Offline Lslite

• Trad Bowhunter
washing wool ?
« on: February 07, 2009, 09:49:00 PM »
Just got a new Pendelton virgin wool shirt.Tag says dry clean only.Can I handwash it in cold water and Woolite to soften it and tighten the weave some ? The fit is perfect now and I'm afraid of shrinking it too much.

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: washing wool ?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009, 10:28:00 PM »
Actually, Pendleton shirts are pretty durable. My kids accidentally washed and dryed one of mine and it did not shrink at all.    :pray:    I always machine wash my pendleton shirts and hang dry them. Never had a problem. If you hand wash any wool and  hang dry it you will be fine. I always only hand wash my good coats.

Mike
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2009, 10:29:00 PM »
I pretty much agree with leatherneck.  I usually gently stretch and block the wool rather than hang it though.

Offline akdd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2009, 11:22:00 PM »
I use cold water and hang dry mine.

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2009, 11:40:00 PM »
If you wash wool in a machine the agitation may shrink it. Hand wash and hang dry and you'll be alright.
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline doctari

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2009, 07:46:00 AM »
I have a new Whrilpool cabrio washer and you can wash wool, (no agitator) For drying,I lay garments flat. This is saving me lots of money from the dry cleaners. I love wool.
"So long as the new moon returns in heavan a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold the hearts of men."   Maurice Thompson The Witchery of Archery

Offline Flinttim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2009, 08:11:00 AM »
Back in the good ol' days when young beauties still wore sweaters (man I miss those days) these sweater dryers were the trick.

Still out there and don't leave hanger marks or rust (steel hangers)
 A young lady I came to know very well had 3 or 4 of these and had sweaters drying all the time. Most will fit across the bathtub to catch drips.
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline freefeet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2009, 08:19:00 AM »
Two problems with washing wool, first is heat which shrinks it unless the wool is preshrunk, second is agitation which felts the wool.

If you put wool in a normal wash cycle on cold it won't shrink it but it will felt it from excessive agitation, it will seem like it shrunk cause it will get smaller as the felted fibres stick together.

Cold wash with very little agitation and wool should be fine.
Shoes are a tax on walking...

...free your feet, your mind will follow!

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2009, 09:08:00 AM »
I tend to agree with both schools of thought...Either hand wash or wash in one of the new horizontal tub / no agitator washers on hand wash or delicate cycle. I have a LG and watched carefully as my new Ullfrotte and other wool pants went round and round. They came out fine and I simply hung the pants to dry after blocking them out first, no shrinking. I actually dried the Ullfrotte on ultra delicate and they did not shrink. Ullfrotte garments are rated for wshing and drying though, so on your other wools please check the label or with the manf. These new machines are much more delicate on clothes. JMHO

nocams  :coffee:
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline rbbhunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2009, 10:43:00 AM »
I have always washed mine in the machine.  Use cold water, Sport Wash (no scent and no UV brighteners), Delicate cycle and air dry.
RBBHUNT
"Those who will trade liberty for
security, deserve niether" B. Franklin (a long time ago and still valid)

Offline sweeney3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2009, 04:28:00 PM »
I have several wool items that I wash on cold delicate and hang dry with no problem.  Be sure you have a couple days to spare to hang them.
Silence is golden.

Offline Bear Heart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2009, 04:36:00 PM »
What is blocking?
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad
"Memories before merchandise!"

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2009, 09:34:00 PM »
Bear Heart,
It is laying the garment out on something flat and stretching the garment back to shape before hanging it up to dry.

nocams
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2009, 08:19:00 AM »
Hand wash or wash on the delicate cycle, block and dry flat.  You'll be fine.

You might be surprised how my dry cleaners end up hand washing wool garments instead of dry cleaning!  ;)
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2009, 08:55:00 AM »
KOM just wash and hang dry.I have been wearing kom products for a long time never had a problem with them ,i cant say the same for two other  brands i have tryed.
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline Otto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2009, 04:20:00 PM »
Back in the good ol' days when young beauties still wore sweaters (man I miss those days)

+1 my man, +1.
Otto

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©