3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Look what we found! A family walk in the woods.  (Read 762 times)

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
Look what we found! A family walk in the woods.
« on: February 07, 2009, 10:19:00 PM »
It was a beautiful day in north Missouri today!  Temps in the 60's in February aren't super rare... but they sure are nice when they happen.  

My wife Lupe figured we should do something outside so I said, "Hey Honey, how about we take the kids for a walk in the woods?  I know just the place too.  Lots of hills and draws with several creeks and lots of deer.  Maybe we could find a shed antler or something."

A little later we piled into the Expedition and headed out to a local park that has several hundred acres 99% of the people never even set foot on since it's beyond the mowed grass of the soccer and little league fields.  But that's the way I like it....

Oh, and it has one other thing going for it, it has a managed archery hunt each year and I hunted it for the first time this past season.  This trip was going to be a chance for me to see some new areas and do a little scouting for next year too.

On these walks, we always bring the camera and take plenty of pictures.  It helps for the kids if I take a canteen and some kind of a snack too.  Today it was a couple apples.  By the time we'd gone a couple hundred yards, Jacob was saying he was hungry so out came apple number one.  My 14 year old daughter Lindsey is becoming quite the photographer and she took these during our little apple break.

Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Look what we found! A family walk in the woods.
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009, 10:20:00 PM »
:thumbsup:
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2009, 10:29:00 PM »
After we finished the apple and took a swig each of ice water we headed on.  I told the kids that the first one to see a buck rub would get an ice cream cone on the way home.  Of course, they would all get one, but they don't think of that and the competition really gets them into it.

Here's the first ones we found.  Emmett and Lindsey walked right past them so I made it a point to stand around until Jacob noticed them and "won" his ice cream cone.  Being the youngest, I figured a little help wouldn't hurt.  These are some pretty nice rubs but there are MUCH bigger ones on the property.  I'm talking thigh sized and tore up!  Notice there are several behind us and you can't tell but there is one about an inch thick that is busted off about a foot above the ground.  I saw several of the busted ones like that this year while hunting.  Kinda gets the imagination going.....

After a bit we came to a good sized creek that we couldn't hope to cross without some kind of log bridge and lucky us, there was a good one right there where we came up on it.

Of course, kids being kids, they wanted to play in the water with sticks, throw rocks and look for tracks in the sand on the banks and stuff.  I gladly gave them the time to do so as that is why I take them out to the woods.  They all have a real appreciation of time spent in the woods or around streams.  In fact, they'd rather spend a hot summer day playing in a local creek hunting crawdads or maybe building a rock dam than go to someplace like Worlds of Fun or Chucky Cheese's.  That's just the way I want it too!

Well, as we were getting ready to cross the log, something caught my eye in the creek just on the downstream side.  Here is exactly what I saw.

The tip sticking out of the water is what caught my eye but about two seconds later I'd figured what it was and noticed the second side towards the low right underwater.
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2009, 10:38:00 PM »
I don't shed hunt a whole lot but I do go at least once or twice each spring and I've found some pretty good ones.  Actually, the first time I ever found ANY shed, I ended up finding four on that one day.  I've never beat that yet.

Well, I had rubber boots on so I stepped in and grabbed ahold and pulled.  Nothing.  Pulled harder and thought it kinda moved but I was by then afraid of breaking it.  Grabbed the other side and wiggled then the first side and repeated until it was starting to come loose but I had to get a stick or two out of the way and finally I had it!

Lindsey was standing by with the camera and snapped this one.

Here's one of all the kids with it.  It's a real nice rack but awfully filthy.  They didn't care though as you can tell by the smiles.  Didn't have to ask them to say "cheese" for this one!

Dave

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2009, 10:44:00 PM »
You have a beautiful family Dave.

Thanks for sharing your day.
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2009, 10:49:00 PM »
We went ahead and crossed our log bridge and hiked about another hour before we started to head back to the truck.

But at one point while Lindsey was taking pictures of the creek, I had to just sit down and admire this rack.

It's not huge but it's certainly a good one.  Only goes 15 1/2" inside spread and about 17 1/2 outside but the mass is good and the tine length is very good.  Both G2's are right at 11 inches and the G3's are 8" on one side and 9" on the other.  Brows are mediumish.  Didn't measure them but they are about 4" if I had to guess.

We popped a couple more pics for the family album as we headed back.

Got back to the truck about a half hour before sunset and hit a local burger place on the way home for burgers and ice cream as promised.

We all had a great time and plan to go back a couple more times over the next two months to look for shed antlers and just spend time together as a family.  It's a great, economical and entertaining way to spend a weekend day with the family.

Makes me think of those comercials.... You know:

Gas for the Expedition: $20

Burgers, fries and drinks for five: $26

Finding antlers in the creek while taking a walk with the wife and kids.......PRICELESS!!!
Dave

Offline bretto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2009, 11:01:00 PM »
Looks like You and the Family had a terrific day Dave.

Offline Missouri CK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2009, 11:03:00 PM »
Dave,

Looks like you guys had a great time.  I bet when you clean those up they will look great.

Chris
Life ain't a dress rehearsal.

Offline akdd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2009, 11:36:00 PM »
You are right PRICELESS.   :thumbsup:

Offline Kingwouldbe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2009, 11:45:00 PM »
cool brother

Offline WoodsyDave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2009, 11:53:00 PM »
Way ta go Dave. You have a nice looking family. Maybe we can get Brian & family, yours, Tom's and others together this summer for a picnic and woods-walk out in a park somewhere close.

I found a rack similar you yours that had been in the water for sometime.  I cleaned it up and it looks pretty good. You should clean that up and hang it.

WoodsyDave

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2009, 12:01:00 AM »
Ya know Dave, that sounds like a great idea.  We were gonna take some hot dogs or steaks with us today but weren't sure about building a fire there.  After getting way back in the woods I got looking at the creek and the sand bars or just some big sandy beaches along the edge and kept thinking, "What a perfect place for a weeny roast."

By the way, did you get my email asking about the coyote hunt?
Dave

Offline Craig Schoneberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2009, 10:42:00 AM »
Thanks for sharing - great pics.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member
Nebraska Bowhunters Association Life Member
Nebraska Traditional Archers Life Member
Traditional Archers of Nevada Founding Member
Colorado Traditional Archers Society

Offline HATCHCHASER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2009, 11:30:00 AM »
Dosen't get any better than that!
It's not the arrival, it's the journey.

Offline varmint101

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2009, 11:44:00 AM »
Awesome.  It's nice ya'll do stuff as a family!  Looks like a good time.
Bless The Lord, O My Soul!

Member:
Indiana Bowhunter Association
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline mwmwmb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2009, 11:45:00 AM »
great pics and story, I was just thinking doing this with the wife and son. but today is his birthday party. maybe this evening.

Offline katie

• Trad Bowhunter
  • “Lady Hawk”
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2009, 12:30:00 PM »
Great find!  We had a pretty similar day yesterday.  Just 50's not 60's and 1/2 not full racks.  Can't beat days like that in Feb.  We are going back out today.
Great stuff!
"Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wildness is a necessity"  John Muir

Offline Jerry Wald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2009, 12:51:00 PM »
Grrrrrrrrrrrrreat stuff

Jer Bear

Offline twosheds

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2009, 01:52:00 PM »
Good deal Dave, I'm glad you got to get out and enjoy that nice day with your family. Great to see the kids enjoying the woods. Tripper
Bob Lee Hunter Recurve 55# @ 29''

Offline wollybear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2009, 02:33:00 PM »
you had a great day!!!you are blessed  :clapper:    :clapper:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©