3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: poll  (Read 1137 times)

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: poll
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2009, 12:13:00 PM »
thanks for the input guys,i actually think i'm gonna sell my widows and order a skinned morrison and get the grip right and poundage right.i like a nice thick handle and i guess thats why i cannot shoot the widows worth a damn.whats the wait list for a morrison ?

larry
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

Offline NorthernCaliforniaHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2009, 12:15:00 PM »
The perfect bow, and I happen to have one, is not the most expensive, not the best looking, not the most comfortable nor the best performing. It's the one you trust. It's the one you've personalized and spent time with. The one who's quirks you understand and have compensated for and have come to love for the time you've spent together...

Were we talking about bows or wives??? I guess there are quite a few similarities, eh?    :saywhat:
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, it's melancholy, and its charm." Theodore Roosevelt

Find me at ShareTheBounty

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2009, 12:39:00 PM »
true true....i did like the mohawk i had,guess i should have given it more time eh. are there any bowyers that will teach you the art ?

>>--->
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

Offline Robhood23

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2009, 12:56:00 PM »
I would recomend picking up a used one on the tg classifieds and trying it out. If you don't like it you can sell it and probly get your money back out of it or if you do lose a little it will be pennies compared to a new one! I own a few bows right now and I keep going to my blacktail and that says alot cause I am a die hard silvertip guy!
The man who thinks he can and the man who thinks he can't are both right!!!

Offline ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2009, 01:00:00 PM »
you might have answered your own question elkherder. maybe you need to discover the pleasure of shooting a bow you made yourself. try something different. personally i'd love to pick up a horse bow and give it a go.
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2009, 01:10:00 PM »
are there any tutorials on here that walk you through building your own bows? ironically i was talking to bob thompson of zipper about buying the zipper brand but i waited to long, but alls well as i see the zippers are every bit the bows they ever were.

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2009, 01:23:00 PM »
Elkherder,

I have tried a bunch of custom bows, but I just can't find one that will do what the Kanati can for me. They are fast, quiet, light, shock-free, smooth, stack-free, well-crafted and cost about half (or less) what most custom bows cost. With your long draw, you'd want to go with a 60". I just picked up my latest Kanati yesterday. It's the walnut dymondwood riser/camo limb 58" one on his website ( jkbows.com ). 52# @ 28". For me, this is quite probably the perfect bow.

I shot it yesterday with 1916's to 650 grain carbons (high FOC GT 3555's) and it just doesn't care! I'm going to try some woodies today (waiting for it to warm up a bit). I put 6 strand D97 strings on mine (padded to 14 with B50 in the loops). I get a tad bit more speed and it is quieter.

As Terry said though, my perfect bow may not fit you at all, which is why we have so many bowyers. I haven't tried a Morrison, so I can't say one way or the other. I think Jason's bows are as high quality as you will find at any cost, and he will make the grip size you want if you send him dimensions for the throat and heal. I did that with mine and it fits like a glove. It feels like an extension of my arm.

Good luck with your quest!
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2009, 01:27:00 PM »
how you liking that bow coupe ?

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2009, 02:16:00 PM »
It's an awesome bow! I had him use the same handle dimensions as my 46# Kanati. I've had that one for two years and it will be with me forever. I just went out and shot a bit more. Man will that 52# smoke a 1916! I have to play with the nock a bit yet to get both of them zeroed in to the same spot. The new one hits a little higher with the aluminums. It's dead on with the heavy carbons for vertical, but they aren't really tuned to the bow. The 650 grain GT 3555's are fine, but the Epics are too stiff (400's was all I could find locally).

Now I have a matched set of Kanatis! The 52 should blow an arrow through just about any critter on this continent. The 46 I can shoot for hours. Kind of like having a .22 and a .45 revolver!

The flat grain camo actionwood lams are the BOMB! It's like a stealth bow! The amberboo lams really blend nicely with the walnut dymondwood too. I just can't stop grinning!
NRA Life Member

Offline wollybear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2009, 02:28:00 PM »
well it is check mate for me. i do not own one yrt but it will not be long now.i shoot one and it worked for me . we all have the one we go to over and over.i just recived a great bow .it is a home made bow, a good man give me. it is great!!! it is bamboo,backed hickory backed bow ,it is the best i have found  :bigsmyl:

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2009, 02:34:00 PM »
Here are a couple shots of the twins:

On the 52#, I just cut a cat whisker in two and tied it on in two spots. It's the same amount of rubber, but I think it might be a bit quieter than the single spots. They both have the skinny six strand D97 strings on them.
NRA Life Member

Offline Bowhunter4life

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2009, 02:38:00 PM »
Well I'd be a poor one to ask that question to... I've had numerous bows over the last several years and the Morrison's are always what I go back to, so I've sold almost all others (the rest of the "others" are on the way out to get more Morrison's).  I haven't run into a Morrison yet that I can't shoot well, doesn't hurt that they are lookers either and they perform very well too... maybe not the fastest of the fast, but they are for me.  

When my Morrison's talk, they usually get the final word...
"Bowhunting isn't a hobby or a sport... It's a way of life!"

Quote: "Everything you read on the internet is the truth." -Abraham Lincoln

>>>-TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Offline WildmanSC

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2009, 02:52:00 PM »
Mike Fedora has a bow building class at his shop in PA.

As for recurves my three favorites are Dale Dye, Dale Stahl and Marriah Thermal by Ric Anderson.  One of one each of the recurves built by the two Dales and I have a new Thermal on order with Ric.  You are talking one to two year wait for a Dale Dye (close to two years) or a Marriah Thermal (roughly a year).

My favorite longbows are a Hummingbird Kingfisher 3-PC T/D and a Crow Creek Black Feather 3-PC T/D.  I bought the Dale Dye, Dale Stahl and Hummingbird Kingfisher bows used.  I've had two new and one used Black Feather longbow.  And in the past I've owned one used and one new Thermal.  The used market is a good way to pick up a quality bow at a significantly reduced price and without the long wait time.

Bill

Bill
TGMM Family of the Bow

-----------------------------------
Groves Flame Recurve 62", 45#@28"

Praise the Lord Jesus Christ, He is Worthy

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2009, 04:09:00 PM »
whats the difference between b-c riser,limbs on the morrisons ?

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2009, 04:53:00 PM »
Larry,

If you are thinking you would like a Morrison, you ought to try one. I like them a lot. The risers and the limbs get longer as the letters go from A to B to C, etc. The ILF risers start with the Mini-14, then to the 16", and then the 18". I am 6'1" tall, weigh 185 pounds, and have a 29 1/2" draw length. Even so, I like the Morrison A riser the best, or the Mini-14 if you decide to get the ILF model. I have several B risers, but for some reason I tend to prefer shorter risers and would rather put the length in the limbs. The only advantage I can see with the longer risers is a bigger sight window, and that is not a real factor with me. If you want increased weight, the longer riser does add weight. The only reason I get longer limbs is to accommodate my longer than average draw length. For me the perfect combination is the A riser with a low grip and D limbs (if you pick a Cheyenne or a Shawnee), or the Mini-14 ILF riser with C limbs (if you go the ILF route). Your preferences will probably vary. Better to go one size longer on the limbs than to be one size too short. Bob Morrison will let you return the bow within a month if you don't like it.

I'm with Danny on the Quest -- or about any other Brackenbury for that matter. The Quest is the best of the Brack recurves. It is a great shooter. The Blacktail is also very nice. If you want a bow with a larger grip and heavier riser, the Blacktail might very well be the one for you. It is similar in many respects to the Bracks, but enough different to notice. Since you are up there not too far from Bill Howland of Brackenbury Bows and Norm Johnson of Blacktail Bows, you might want to take a long day and go visit them and shoot their bows. I'm sure there are other TradGangers near you who have those bows, and probably some Morrisons too, that you could shoot. If you were down here in Oklahoma, I would let you shoot any of mine, and I have quite a few of these three models as well as others.

I think perhaps I recall that you have tried a Shrew. I really like the Shrews and think they are some of the best bows made, but I understand why they are not for everyone. They tend to be short and light and are not as forgiving of errors in shooting form. If you have issues with several different models of high quality bows, you might want to think about getting with a good trad archery instructor, because there might be a problem with your form that could be easily corrected. Or it could be as simple as being left eye dominant and shooting right handed, which might cause you to need to use a sight or otherwise change your shooting style. Just a thought. I know I have plenty of improvements that I could make in my form, and I will be seeking additional help in doing so.

Terry Green is 100% right -- in the end only you can decide what works for you. My problem is the opposite of yours. Most of the high quality bows work well for me. That's why I can't stand to part with them after I buy them, so they just keep stacking up on my rack.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2009, 05:39:00 PM »
Many customs have been thru my hands as well and the Habu vyperkahn w/ hycurve limbs is by far the most accurate bow I've shot to date.Over 1dz robinhoods w/ this bow and can push arros w/ the best of them.

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2009, 08:10:00 PM »
Maybe you are looking at the question backwards. There is no perfect bow! And if there was, how boring would that be?

I love the experience of finding a new and special bow and shooting and hunting with it. Learning to make both glass and selfbows has been very satisfying. I can recommend it. Binghams kits and videos is a fine place to start with glass bows and bow jamobories like MOJam and the many smaller ones are a good place to get started on selfbows.

Don't fight the new bow syndrome, learn to live with it and enjoy the process.

PS, Morrisons are great bows. You should try one.

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2009, 12:17:00 AM »
thanks to you all...i've decided to buy a morrison as i've heard good things about them and nothing negative.have my eye on a skinned like new one.widows are good bows but arrow seems to close to my hand.its actually the mohawk that i shot the best and a zipper.

thanks guys.......larry

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2009, 09:23:00 AM »
I own a Blacktail, a Widow PSA III a Whisperstik, and a Shafer Silvertip. The silvertip is my favorite and I recommend them highly. Bob Morrison recently sent me a Cheyenne to shoot and it was amazing in all categories and will be my next purchase.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2009, 10:01:00 AM »
Elk, Call Bob and see if he has one to send you to shoot.
Last I checked,the wait is about 7-8 months right now. There is a reason there is such a wait.
"Good things come to those who wait"

Mike
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©