3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Todd's friend Wayne Miller up on Top  (Read 793 times)

Offline Bryan Burkhardt

• Trad Bowhunter
Todd's friend Wayne Miller up on Top
« on: February 08, 2009, 07:58:00 AM »
Congratulations on a great buck Wayne!  Please share the story.
You can increase your wealth by counting your blessings

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Todd's friend Wayne Miller up on Top
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2009, 08:08:00 AM »
I looked at the pic for ten minutes this morning... What a buck!
>>--TGMM--> Family of the Bow

Offline yellow bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2009, 08:33:00 AM »
congrats, what a beauty!  :thumbsup:

Offline Gray Buffalo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2009, 09:14:00 AM »
Outstanding buck    :thumbsup:
I try not to let my mind wander...It is too small and fragile to be out by itself.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

Offline DBerrard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2009, 09:16:00 AM »
very nice..what State did ya take it in?

Regards
David

~Kanati Klassic~ 50@26"

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2009, 09:20:00 AM »
Nice buck......story????

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Online huckbuck

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2009, 10:10:00 AM »
:thumbsup:    :thumbsup:  let's here it.

Offline houseman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2009, 10:24:00 AM »
I don't know, I think I would have waited for a big one  ;) .  That is one heck of a buck!
Semper Fi

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2009, 10:47:00 AM »
Geez, what a buck !!!  Please tell us a hunting story..

What does he gross - 185+ ?????

Offline John Havard

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2009, 11:54:00 AM »
That photo might have been taken by Todd but the lucky gent holding that buck is not Todd.  Who is it and what's the story for such a fine trophy?

Offline Bowmania

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2009, 12:26:00 PM »
I didn't take the buck!!!! I was WAYNE MILLER from Aberdeen, SD.  Kind of a cool story on how traditional friendships develop and a cheesehead from WI ends up hunting in S. Dakota.  Twenty plus years ago I met a CO taxiderist Barry Smith up on a MT in Colorado.  He's from Aberdeen.  After that meeting, Barry and I hunted somewhere in the world for 21 years in a row.  In that time I met Wayne and he and I have been to AK (2X), BC, Alberta and probably a couple of others.

Wayne and his brother Ron Miller now own Barry's childhood farm and a mile (+) of riverbottom on the James River.  The first week in Nov Barry leaves CO and I leave WI and meet Wayne and Ron for a week of chasing whitetails.  THere's way too many storys to tell, but Ron killed 3 P&Y's out of the same stand, I got a 150+ gross out of the same stand (called THE CORNER), Barry shot a huge nontypical on the run with a very  big typical following it.  Plus Wayne shooting two 150ish bucks in one year and Barry full mounting them on a 4X8 piece of plywood with a fence in the middle, one buck landing on his front feet and the second jumping off his back - you get the idea.  Needs to be seen by everyone who enjoys taxy and WT's.  IF I knew how to work Photobucket or TG had a LW format.

Back to the above pic.  I brought out 2 ladder stands this year '08.  Ron, Wayne and I put the second one up on 10/31.  I secured it to the tree and Wayne trimmed.  Two months later he told me, I told him to take off one more branch and if he had not - no shot.  After the stand was up Wayne said let it sit for a day.  So he sat it on 11/2.  That night Wayne said he saw the buck coming towards him pretty early and 100ish yds.  Very slowly.  In fact, Wayne has a great sense of humor, sitting with a cold one in the kitchen he said if he (the buck) was walking up here (the kitchen) "it would take him four days to get here."  Well, by the time it got into range it was pretty dark and Wayne wasn't sure where he hit at the 12 to 15 yd shot.  That buck at 12 - 15 WOW heart attack city!!!!  We didn't track it that night, hence the conversation in the kitchen.  No sleep, for Wayne and not much for Ron and me.  The next day we had about a 3 - 400 yd blood trail with a very happy ending.  I wonder what Wayne remembers about the trail, but I will never forget walking in the cattails behind him and him turning around and saying, "We got 'im."  All he saw was the bucks butt.  

For you guys interested in inches.  And I'm not exactly sure of them, but he grosses 189, with 2 pts from Compton he'll break 190.  I don't know how you guys feel about the A&J Club (Allen and Jennings), but I have a number of issues with them (stick that 80% let off where the sun, the membership voted against it, try shooting a BOW, sorry I'm venting).  THAT buck with deductions scores 162!!!  The animal grew it - score it.  The buck is symetrical on first look.  It has deductions on circumferences.  Between the G2 and G3 there's like a common base and on the other side it's between the G3 and G4.  Ridiculous!!!!  I don't want to vent too much. Or I'll start on the Unicorn buck that Ron shot out of the Corner and looks like a 180 incher, but scores 125ish.  Damned I couldn't stop. Congradulations to Wayne Miller.

One last thing - shot with a Robertson 51 at 28, I think a carbon Gold Tip and a 125 gr 4 blade Zwickey.

Bowmania
I'm not putting up with this guys shit and dogging me.

Offline Bigriver

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2009, 12:43:00 PM »
Man, I thought the beard must have really changed Todd`s appearance   :saywhat:
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Owlgrowler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2009, 01:16:00 PM »
THAT is a great buck! I think it was Gene Wensel that said,"Nets are for fishes", (refering to net scores). You had me going there with the A&J Club,lol, I'm going to be using that one.
Bragging may not bring happiness,
but no man having caught a large fish,goes home through the alley.

Offline Barry J. Smith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2009, 01:26:00 PM »
Todd has been a good friend and hunting companion for a really long time but it sounded like I just mounted Wayne's lifesize bucks on a
board.  It is riverbottom scenery and is quite a spectcular mount if I so say so myself.  Wayne and Ronny and his son Curtis have made our farm a "deer farm" and is a very special place to hunt nnow with a great chance at a trophy because of their good management.  His neighbors are even reaping the benefits but don't appreciate his efforts much.

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2009, 02:05:00 PM »
Great story and a fantastic buck with good friends!  :)
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline Ybuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2009, 02:13:00 PM »
WOWZA!  :eek:   Congratulations!  :clapper:
Steve.

Offline bowtough

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2009, 02:14:00 PM »
Great story,fantastic buck,and totally agree with the venting!  :clapper:

Offline IndianaBowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2009, 02:54:00 PM »
Beautiful animal that did not suffer a "Techno Death"! Great job to all involved.

Offline Bryan Burkhardt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2009, 04:18:00 PM »
Great story and congrats Wayne!  Sounds like you have some great material for Compton or TBM to me!!

Bryan
You can increase your wealth by counting your blessings

Offline wollybear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2009, 04:23:00 PM »
great buck!!!!  :thumbsup:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©