3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: One shot kill...  (Read 948 times)

Offline OkKeith

• Trad Bowhunter
One shot kill...
« on: February 09, 2009, 10:14:00 AM »
A group of us went stump shooting in my buddy's pasture on Saturday. Besides dealing with a fairly stiff wind, we had a great time and everyone (at sometime or another) made some great shots.

My buddy, the former Marine, made an excellent one shot kill. It was the proverbial double lung on what proved to be the most frequent target species of the day.

I thought I would share the “hero photo” we took immediately following the kill.

In the photo you should be able to make out the footings we are all using on our wood arrows now. It is simply 2-3 inches of alum. arrow shafting with an insert, glued over the end of our POC and spruce shafts. This provides increased FOC, the ability to interchange screw-in points and provides for a tougher arrow for the occasion that a suicidal rock leaps in front of an otherwise well placed shot.

OkKeith
In a moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing.
Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Dave2old

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: One shot kill...
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 10:28:00 AM »
Keith -- what are the relative sizes of the shafts -- say, 11/32 woodies and what size aluminum? Nice snug fit? Any chance for some close-up photos? dave

Offline Kingwouldbe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 10:35:00 AM »
Keith was this a depredation hunt?

Or does the state require you to eat your kill?

I'm not saying, I'm just asking    :scared:

Offline bowhunterfrompast

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2009, 10:56:00 AM »
Very rare beast indeed..I would have a full mount made of that puppy..bhfp
Rick Wakeman
UBM Lifetime Member
American Broadhead Collectors Club

Offline unclewhit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2009, 11:21:00 AM »
bhfp, you've obviously never been to Montana.
Montana's overrun with them critters, not very rare at all.
unclewhit
Bob lee signature series
Schafer Silvertip
Howard Hill "Tembo"

Offline Kip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2009, 11:31:00 AM »
The young ones are real tender eating.Kip

Offline Kingwouldbe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2009, 11:45:00 AM »
Originally posted by Kip:
The young ones are real tender eating.Kip
:biglaugh:     :biglaugh:     :biglaugh:

Offline OkKeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2009, 11:45:00 AM »
Dave-
For our 11/32 shafts we use a 2413 Easton shaft. If the clear-coat on your arrows is very thick, you may have to sand the arrow shaft a little to get it to slide on and allow a little space for the glue.

We use high-test, liquid super glue and have had no failures yet. The first few I made, I used 2-hour epoxy. Great holding power, but it pushes through the back of the insert and ruins the threads. I will shoot some pics tonight and post those tomorrow if that will work for you.

David-
I guess this would have been a depredation hunt. I am a pretty good cook, but I'm not sure I could make a meal out of that which wouldn't taste like crap. We left them lay, but there seems to be plenty.

This is one hunt where you want to make sure that the ones you shoot have a little age on them. The older they are, the better. If you make a mistake and shoot a young one, there is a self-inflicted penalty, especially if you have white fletching.

Richard-
There must be a micro-climate, habitat thing going on in that pasture. We saw quite a few. The larger concentrations were localized though. There were heavy populations adjacent to the pond and around the feed troughs. There was one, right in the middle of the driveway, but my buddy wasn’t sure how it got there. It could have been a genetic variant that wandered in.

I think he was going to try just a skull mount. He put it in with some beetles, but I haven’t heard how that is working out for him. I will keep you advised.

OkKeith
In a moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing.
Theodore Roosevelt

Offline OkKeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2009, 12:43:00 PM »
Jeffrey-
I don't know… they could be like Prairie Dogs. Just because there are plenty of them, doesn't mean they aren't rare...right?

Kip-
What you say is true, but they do tend to stick in your teeth more.

OkKeith
Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Cottonmouth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2009, 12:47:00 PM »
might try them with ranch dressing...seems like anything is good battered, fried, and dipped in ranch dressing....   :knothead:
"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."  Robert A. Heilein

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2009, 01:06:00 PM »
OKkeith,

I'm sure your buddy will correct you as well. There are no curse words aloud on this site. Never, I mean never, call a Marine "former". Shame, shame, shame.   :knothead:    :bigsmyl:  

Anyhow, sounds like you all had a great day. Looks like you might be a tad back in the liver though. LOL.

Mike
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline texbow2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2009, 01:09:00 PM »
a canned hunt fore sure, I can see the house in the background.......pure BS...... : )

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2009, 01:09:00 PM »
Question, is that a buck or a doe patty? And what's the score on it?
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline Greg Szalewski

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2009, 01:45:00 PM »
I dunno, something doesn't smell quite right about this thread.
PBS Regular, Ask me about The Professional Bowhunters Society; we stand for ethics.
Past President, Wisconsin Traditional Archers
Life member, Wisconsin Bowhunters
Sherwood Forest Bowmen
Traditional Bowhunters of Florida
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters

Offline sweeney3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2009, 02:08:00 PM »
I hear you have to maranate 'em for about a week.
Silence is golden.

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2009, 03:03:00 PM »
looks like a crap rabbit to me.
feed it to your garden.
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2009, 03:13:00 PM »
You don't want to kill a young one on a hot day!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline NorthernCaliforniaHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2009, 03:16:00 PM »
That there's a trophy as defined by its ability to sail through the air when tossed like a frisbee, the likelihood that it'll remain intact upon landing AND the fact that it'll withstand being hung by a peg as you have inadvertently demonstrated by desecrating said trophy with your Robin Hood shenanigans!
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, it's melancholy, and its charm." Theodore Roosevelt

Find me at ShareTheBounty

Offline OkKeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2009, 03:24:00 PM »
You oughta see what a 125 grain JUDO head does to a "middle aged" one at about 12 yards!!

We did have a great time. In addition to the patties (I assume they are gender: female, they are PATTIES not PADDIES/PATRICKS) there was nary a safe piece of wind blown trash or a clump of broom sedge that went unmolested.

I really do think this is the best practice for hunting. No fixed yardages, no fixed shooting positions or angles. Just flinging a lot of arrows and having a good time.

OkKeith
Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Dave2old

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2009, 03:34:00 PM »
Keith -- as Leatherneck suggests, "former" Marine is a no-no. The proper term is "recovering Marine"! Semper fi

Also, please do take some photos of your external footing concept, preferably if possible in a "build-along" format, and post them in a new thread with an appropriate title like "Homespun woody FOC footings" or such, which will attract a far larger audience than the current crappy thread (-:]. Doc Ashby thinks this is a great idea and would like to see several of us give it a try. Thanks for the effort! Dave

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©