3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: SLEEPING INDIAN SIZING ADVICE, PLEASE!  (Read 583 times)

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
SLEEPING INDIAN SIZING ADVICE, PLEASE!
« on: February 09, 2009, 03:04:00 PM »
Hello.  I am considering buying a couple of pieces of Sleeping Indian wool, but I have no idea how the sizing runs.  I don't think their sizing chart will be as helpful as some opinions from those who own and use it.  I am 6', 215 pounds, and have a 35" sleeve length.  In buying some used wool shirts by L. L. Bean, Woolrich, etc., I find the XL size ok except for sleeve length and tail length, which I would really prefer to be longer, but with used shirts, one doesn't know if they've ever been shrunk or not.  Normally, I buy XL tops off the rack and wear size 36 waist jeans and slacks.  I was looking at the pull over bowhunter's shirt, pants, and a vest.  All advice appreciated.  By the way, is this stuff all it's said to be, or simply overpriced, and will it be overkill here in Louisiana where mid 20's is about the lowest it gets.  Thanks, Paul.
“Sometimes the shark go away, sometimes he wouldn’t go away.” Quint, from Jaws

Offline Lechwe

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: SLEEPING INDIAN SIZING ADVICE, PLEASE!
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 03:48:00 PM »
Paul,

I am about your size and my SI stuff is XL. My sleve length is just a little shorter. You could call Ted and have him make it to fit your length better. This is awesome stuff. With the weather you describe the Shirt, pants and vest will be all you will ever need to stay warm.

Having said that I would recommend you look at Day One and see what they have. My hunting partner bought a set of it and loves it. He also has SI so can compare them well. The big difference is Day One is close to half the price of SI if not a little less.

Good luck

Offline Otto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 03:55:00 PM »
XL.  I'm 6'3" and 215.  XL fits me perfect.
Otto

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2009, 04:07:00 PM »
Thanks for the replies.  I have looked at Day One, but have also read several negative posts about poor delivery times and somewhat shoddy work on certain items; makes me a bit gun shy.  I really like wool, but off the rack wool clothes often aren't the greatest for hunting, so I'm thinking of investing in the good stuff.  By the way, is the SI website up to date?  It seems like it might not be.  Thanks, Paul.

Offline Steve Nuckels

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2009, 04:59:00 PM »
Paul, I have SI and it is well worth the $$$$ I have worn them for thirteen seasons!  (thank god I have not out grown them (I would buy replacements) I am sending my Ridgeline Shirt back for sleeve cuff repair showing some wear from climbing to my tree stand!  The way I figure it I would have replaced lesser garments several times since purchasing SI.

Even in warmer weather it is comfortable.  Go for the hooded vest (I think the "Sheep Mtn. vest) it's worth it!

I was measured for my SI.

Paul, Email Dan at Saltzgiver's Supply in Hanover PA. ASAP they are having a sale of in stock inventory and he is the guy who measured me, so he could advise you. He has a limited supply, but it would save you some $$$

[email protected]   Or  717-632-6406

Great stuff, I can't say enough about it.

Steve

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2009, 05:42:00 PM »
Thanks, Steve.  I called and left a message.  I called SI today and he agreed that XL top and 36 pants are what I need.  I was a bit thrown because their sizing chart shows an XL top having a 16-16.5" neck, which is too small for me, although the other measurements look right.  Thanks again, Paul.

Offline Steve Nuckels

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2009, 06:38:00 PM »
Paul, Dan is offering 15% discount and free shipping for instock items.   If your order onter than in stock you would get 5% and free shipping.  That's what his letter said he sent me.

Good luck

- - - - - - -
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline LUCKY MAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2009, 07:14:00 PM »
PM Sent.

John
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way
you cope with it is what makes the difference."

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2009, 07:58:00 PM »
John, I replied to your pm.  Paul.

Offline Mike VanBuren

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2009, 09:18:00 PM »
I'm 5'10" 185# and wear an XL Highline shirt. Size L would bind in the back. XL isn't real loose on me, just a tad long in the sleeves.

I bought an Outfitter jacket this past December at Saltzgiver's. They were offering me discounts for multiple items but that jacket was enough for me to pay for in one year. They only had a few pieces of the gray camo. If you want the brown camo, they should have what you're looking for.

I agree with Steve's advice on buying the hooded vest. A shirt, pants and vest should be enough to keep you warm in those temps.

Offline Day Dreamer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2009, 12:20:00 AM »
I'm 5'7" and about 180, at one time ordered a large shirt when cabelas carried sleeping indian and It also was to binding in the shoulders when added thermals so sent back. I purchased a xl from ted and it fits the shoulders good and sleeve length is just about right but man is it wide around the chest. great for layering but I prefer fitted sizing.

Offline DBerrard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2009, 12:59:00 AM »
Hmm I'm wondering if you wouldn't be better off with a cheaper (price wise) pair of wool bibs from woolrich or something. Your lowest average in your area is 34 degrees..thats blue jeans and sweater temperature  :D

I'd ask around with local hunters and get their opinions about it being overkill down there or not.

Regards
David

~Kanati Klassic~ 50@26"

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2009, 07:15:00 PM »
Dave, you live in Minnesota, so that is blue jeans and sweater weather for you.  I'm sure I would have the same type of comment about what you consider unbearably hot!   When it gets low 30's down here, the humidity is often high and it feels much colder, at least to me.  I don't handle cold very well, and have never sat on a stand in that kind of weather and not felt cold within an hour.  My feet and hands are especially sensitive to cold, and I hope that by keeping my body warmer, they won't suffer as much.  I just really like wool clothing.  I have some of the Columbia stuff that looks like KOM, but it is really heavy, bulky, sucks up water like a sponge (it's only partially wool, and recycled wool at that), and I still get cold in it.  I may not need it much, but I've spent enough for two complete sets of SI trying to find winter hunting clothes that work for me, so I'm going to get what I probably should have gotten to begin with.  Steve, Dan did have the ridgeline shirt, sheep mountain vest, and pants in my sizes, so I went ahead and ordered it from him.  Thanks, Paul.

Offline grizzlyxx

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2009, 07:29:00 PM »
Paul, make that an xxl top and 38 pants so I can buy off from you cheap when you don't want it anymore.

Offline huntsfairchase

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2009, 09:23:00 PM »
Paul, sounds like you placed your order, and maybe their sizes have changed. But, I'm 6' and 180# and have the button up SI brown camo shirt. I bought the XL to be able to layer underneath it. I have had it for 12-13 years, but just from rain, etc, it's shrunk enough to make me wish i would've ordered the XXL. Sounds big, but I wear a 16" 32/33 shirts. Now, a long sleeve T-shirt is about all I can layer under it without the shoulders binding. Sleeves are border line short too.Don't know if they still are, but my SI is 90% wool and 10% cotton. And no, it's never been in a dryer or near heat to dry out.
"Each one must find within his heart,
a quiet place where he may go.
To find himself and for a space,
drink deeply where still waters flow."

Offline Jerry Wald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2009, 09:19:00 PM »
Just phone them...the guy asked me questions over the phone and everything fit perfectly.

Worth the call

Jer bear

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2009, 09:29:00 PM »
Thanks for the info.  I did call them before I ordered any, and he was sure that XL was what I needed; Dan (the guy I ordered from) also took measurements and agreed with that sizing.  He is just slightly smaller, and he wears a large.  I have packed on the pounds around the middle, but I have really narrow shoulders and am small-boned.  Even when I lifted weights, I was never big chested and thick shouldered.  I like my clothes to be loose, otherwise I could wear a large/tall shirt.  I sure hope I got the right size, though.

Offline arrowflinger1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2009, 11:00:00 PM »
Just my opinion but Im 5'9" 200lbs and the xl is a little snug on me.............

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2009, 01:18:00 AM »
A tape across my shoulders measures 23; a tape around my chest measures 43; I wear 34-35 dress shirts w/ 17 collar, more for comfort than because I have to.  The Columbia Gallatin Range wool shirt-jac I have is a large, and is very loose on me (actually probably looser than even I like), if anyone out there owns both and can make the comparison from that.  I'm really not a big guy, I just got married and went to pot, which began my XL shirt days.  I bet you guys who feel the xl is tight probably have wide shoulders and broad chests, two things I definitely was not in line for when they were handed out.  Paul.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©