3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 40# Bow for Training and Targets  (Read 688 times)

Offline Whitetail Chaser

• Trad Bowhunter
40# Bow for Training and Targets
« on: February 09, 2009, 03:27:00 PM »
I have been shooting bows from 53-60 pounds for 15 years, but recently I've thought of getting a light bow (40#) for form practice and target shooting in the spring and summer.

Does anyone shoot a 40 pounder for practice and then beef up to their hunting bows before fall?

I know this violates the "shoot only one bow" rule for consistency, but it does give me a reason to buy another bow! LOL!

Thanks for any opinions.
Brett
50# MAX Widow
54# Sapphire Hawk
53# Schafer Silvertip TD
45# Hill Country Bobcat

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
Re: 40# Bow for Training and Targets
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 03:43:00 PM »
The shoot only one bow "rule" for consistency is pretty much a myth IMO.  I shoot about the same weight you do for hunting.  Don't have any 40#ers, but do have one a little under 50 that I sometimes use to work on form. A fella should definitely have more than one bow.  I say go for it.  40# is a pretty big drop though.  Might want to stay in the mid-40s.  It will feel pretty light by comparison to what you are currently shooting.  Good luck.

Offline Builder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 04:52:00 PM »
After shoulder surgery, I purchased a 42# bow from Norm Johnson (Blacktail) that I started shooting regularly. Every now and then I would throw on my 60# limbs and shoot them, didn't shoot a bit different, I just couldn't shoot them very long without suffering severly. By the way that fall I hunted with the 42# limbs and shot completely through a very large body nine point buck in WI that took three guys to load in the truck.
USMC
Providing the enemies of America to die for thier countries.

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2009, 04:57:00 PM »
I have a few bows ranging from 35-55, I shoot them all.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2009, 05:08:00 PM »
After I hurt a disc in my neck, I picked up some 43# limbs for my Zipper to rehab.  What it did do besides building back some lost muscle mass, is help me clean up my anchor and release. Nothing shows flaws more than a light bow.
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Offline mmgrode

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2009, 05:43:00 PM »
I like light bows for form work. I am currently shooting a light-for-me bow (55#)to get my form down, but I train with heavier weights than I expect to be using.  When I shoot the heavy ones without loss in form I build up strength and the lighter ones feel easy. Cheers, Matt
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."  Aristotle

Offline Chris Wilson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2009, 06:11:00 PM »
I shoot 40# for 3D, then bump up to 47-50# during hunting season.  There's usually an adjustment period in my shooting, but it it doesn't last long.
"You're either trained or untrained.  When it hits the fan, you will always fall to the level of your training."

Offline jeff w

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2009, 06:41:00 PM »
Shooting a lighter bow than what I hunt with has helped my shooting out greatly.   The lighter bow lets me know when I don't get a clean release, I can have longer shooting sessions, and I can concentrate on my form more.   Also shooting the lighter bow helps 'ingrain', what a good shot should feel like to me using proper form while shooting my hunting bow.  For me it has been a big help.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2009, 07:14:00 PM »
Bought a 40# RER recurve to help my beat target panic. Liked it so much that I just got a 40# kabekona longbow. Both bows perform beyond what you would expect and have helped with form and improved my shooting problems. I hunt with bows that are 51#-59#.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline nightowl1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2009, 08:33:00 PM »
I'm thinking about doing the same thing... i love my whisperstik but need to work on my form. I have a 47 (at my draw) pearson but the grip and feel of the bow is so different I'm thinking about finding a used whisperstik. Even with the different grip I always shoot my heaver bow better after a few shots or sessions with the lighter bow
Combo Hunter 46@28

I came from nothing and I brought it with me.

Offline guspup

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2009, 08:43:00 PM »
I hunt and practice with my 50 # longbow. But often I work on my form, with at short range with my 25 # bow, without a finger tab. I think it really helps with the 'feel' of shooting.

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2009, 08:48:00 PM »
I think that it is a great concept.

I have been shooting my son's 41 pound Treadway Black Swamp a lot lately and I love it.  I have also been shooting 20 pound Genesis bows with the kids during NASP practices.  My form has improved a lot!
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline bmb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2009, 09:41:00 PM »
i am shooting a 42# martin hunter for 3-d and i might even use it on turkeys...but for most of my hunting i use a 47# hoyt gamemaster2....some adjustment is needed but not much. the martin shoots faster b/c of the arrows i use (410grs)..the hoyt uses 525gr arrows:) good hog medicine!!

Offline Whitetail Chaser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2009, 11:26:00 PM »
Thanks for all the input.

Brett
50# MAX Widow
54# Sapphire Hawk
53# Schafer Silvertip TD
45# Hill Country Bobcat

Offline Bmac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2009, 12:40:00 PM »
I just picked up a Predator Classic with 3 sets of limbs, 42#, 49# and 52#.  The 42's shoot great and I can shoot all day with no complainig from my bad shoulder.  I'm also working on consistency of anchor and release.  I'll switch over to the heavier limbs before season to get them dialed in.

Offline Herb Calvin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2009, 01:53:00 PM »
I've been shooting a Bear Black Bear 40# Bear Black Bear for several years. Of course I only hunt small game. It's my only bow. Kills whit I want it to.
Herbert Calvin

Offline DJTJR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2009, 12:45:00 PM »
Have a 38# ACS one piece that i got here love it for form work and just about everything else.  It lets me focus on my form and shoot a lot more quality arrows before getting tired

Offline Slasher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2009, 10:59:00 PM »
I have  42# and 55# Toelke whips... But just recently acquired the heavier one... Deer don't know its only 42# as 3 have them taken with pass throughs... Epic 600st with 200 grn heads...

None lost, but actually got the bow for turkey hunting, but it felt so good I put away the recurve... just love the bow... however, a light bow makes the release much more critical as at that poundage the string doesn't pull as hard, so a good tab or glove is more of a necessity..
Expect the best. Prepare for the worst. Capitalize on what comes.
                                        ~Zig Ziglar~

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2009, 10:07:00 AM »
My fiance got a bow that pulls 30 lbs at my draw weight.  Been shooting it a lot while working on form.  I think it is difficult to work on form with a hunting weight bow. Much easier with something light.

Offline Billy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2009, 10:35:00 AM »
I've got a 35#'r that I love to shoot and it "forces" me to concentrate on FUN!!
 I learn more by just doing.
I shoot more, I hit as much but, shooting the lighter weight is just more fun.
My "deer" bow is only 47# and I can shoot it a lot, and I love shooting it.
The FUN factor is the key for kids of all ages,IMHO!!
I say, 'go light, have fun, shoot more, and enjoy the flight of arrowS...'
TGMM Family of the Bow

Taker of the Founders Red Pill

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©