3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Help!! What weights for the ladies? Which one?  (Read 449 times)

Offline oxnam

• Trad Bowhunter
Help!! What weights for the ladies? Which one?
« on: February 09, 2009, 07:42:00 PM »
My wife just asked me if I could get her a bow   :eek:   She has never shot before and I want to move fast.

This last fall we started filming for an aerial bird hunting video and now she wants in on the action before we wrap up the filming.

She is an athletic 5'2" with a draw of around 23".  

What draw weight should I get for her?  I thought a 40# @ 28" might be a nice starting weight but I have no idea and don't have access to any to try.

Also, she has interest right now, so I want to get a bow in her hands right now.  Maddog Archery is out 12-14 weeks.  I don't want to drop too much on a starter bow but figured $200 should get something decent.  PSE has one in that range, but I am not familiar with them.  Any better options out there for in stock bows?

thanks,
Derrick

Offline Sarah

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Help!! What weights for the ladies? Which one?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 08:15:00 PM »
I'm 5'3" and have a 27" draw...When I first started I actually had to work a lot on a 30 pounder to build up muscle. Then I moved on to a 35# which I absolutely love.

Be careful not to go too heavy, you don't want her to get injured or discouraged, and a lighter bow will do the trick just as well.

Good luck!

Sarah

Offline oxnam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 10:15:00 PM »
Sarah have you seen this to be true with other female shooters with 30# being a heavy starting weight?  Thanks for sharing your experience.

Offline Mrs Coaltroll

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2009, 10:19:00 PM »
I'm 5'6" and I started with a 40# with a 26" draw, Now I shoot a 45#. Its best to start off a little lite and work your way up. My daughter started with a 25# and is now up to a 35#, with a 26"draw she is 5', she can shoot a 40# but its a tough pull.

Have fun and shoot for fun.

Mrs Coaltroll/Deb

Offline Henry Hammer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2009, 10:33:00 PM »
If they have to draw alot of weight they will lock there elbow to get to full draw. A woman's arm is designed different than a man and they will hit there arm alot if they have to much weight to pull. I had my wife shoot 45# bow and she hit her arm several times cause she had to lock her elbow on her bow arm. Trust me this will only discourage them from wanting to shoot. I would say to get a lighter bow to start with and you can always go heavier down the road but it will be very hard to go the other way. Just my two cents speaking from experience. Post an ad in the classifieds that you want a lightweight bow for your wife and you will get alot of response and I think there will be plenty to choose from there. Good Luck.
"No man's opinion is any better than his background, his experience and his general common sense." Jack O' Connor

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2009, 10:41:00 PM »
She is going to want to shoot it over and over and over again if she likes it.  She needs something light enough to play all day without tiring.  I have watched a lot of women (teachers) who were in great shape struggle with 20-25 pound NASP (genesis) bows when they start shooting.  They build up very quickly, but initially their muscles just aren't used to working the way they do pulling a bow.  Something like 30 at 28 may be close to a good starting point.  Plan on trading out pretty quickly as she works up.
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline brill16hockey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2009, 10:41:00 PM »
I just had a bow built for my girlfriend from a friendly member on this website.  It will be here on wednesday.  It is all pink, and it is 35# @ 24".  She has been shooting a 40# and 46# at 28" and she decided a solid 35 at her draw length is what she was comfortable with.  Beware though, she is gonna want to share all that "man time" you have now at the range!  I do love it though, and she has no intention of hunting, so I can still have my man time!

Offline oxnam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2009, 01:24:00 AM »
Thanks, I got an ad up in the classifieds.

Anyone have any experience with a PSE Kudu?

Offline legends1

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2009, 02:32:00 AM »
Derrick,
I shoot 35# and it fits me very good.Im not very big.I can shoot all day at 3D's and dont tire out.I also have no prolems hunting with that weight.We build a smooth fast recurve so I think it realy helps peolpe who shoot lower weight bows.Im shooting the Carbon Express Thunderstorms.at 400grns.Ive shot pigs with no problem.Most of all you want her to enjoy it and not get hurt or struggle.Take a look at our website.Our "Mountain Bow" would be a nice choice.Good luck Sounds like you may have a wounderful hunting partner in the making.
Debbie Rash

Offline R H Clark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2009, 03:45:00 PM »
Stay with 25-30 lbs at 28.It will be too light for her to hunt with but fine for targets and 3D if you get correct arrows for her.Whatever you do don't make her shoot your arrows or any too stiff.

I would stay away from PSE.You might place an add here and find something in your price range.Quinn will also make you some light limbs to fit their Stallion if you ask.The Quinn Stallion is a great starter bow but it's a metal riser and about $270 new.I like metal fine but get her something she will like so she will stay with it.

Offline ken denton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2009, 04:11:00 PM »
My wifes 3 piece recurve will be shipped this week and it is;
25#@25". She is 69 years old, but she used to shoot 24" with a recurve 33#@28" and could shoot it all day.She was shooting 1716 alum arrows. If no hunting of large game is to be done, why weight her down? Ken
"Arrows into the wind", What a wounderful sight!!!

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2009, 05:46:00 PM »
I would stay right near 37-40#s at 28"s. i say this as she will only be shooting around 23-25#s at her draw and most bows do not gain early draw weight. My wife who has a shoulder that has literaly been torn free and put down by her hip and repaired with at least 12 surgeries started shooting a bow of 23#s at her 24" draw and really had no problem. Shawn
Shawn

Offline pointystick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2009, 06:14:00 PM »
I know nothing about them, so you may want to search and see if anyone has experience with them, but have you checked out the Greatree youth bows at 3Rivers?:    Greatree  
They look like they might be just the size for her.    :cool:

The Mohegan and Polaris were the two I was thinking of, btw.

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2009, 08:34:00 PM »
Our new Phoenix Longbow is getting great reviews.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline pointystick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2009, 09:07:00 PM »
The Phoenix looks SWEET, wingnut.   :thumbsup:   Do you think the grip would be too small for a man's hand (size L glove)?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©