3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Is Cedar that Bad ???  (Read 736 times)

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Is Cedar that Bad ???
« on: February 09, 2009, 09:59:00 PM »
Mason and I went stump shooting yesterday and he broke two cedars. Both shots were in the 30-35 yd range on rotten stumps. He only pulls about 42lbs too. I could see it if it was a close shot and he was shooting over 60lbs or something like that.

Should we try some doug fir or sitka spruce maybe ? I love cedar, but man it sure seems awful weak sometimes.

nocams  :help:
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline LONGBOWKID

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Is Cedar that Bad ???
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 10:07:00 PM »
Probably the angle Nocams...I had two cedar arrows break shooting into a mountain dew bottle, from the side, with a 35# bow, from 25 and 30 yards...

And I have had cedars hit trees shot from 60# bows that didnt break.

Its tricky sometimes.
Turkey Creek Longbows
60" 46#@29"
62" 51@29"
62" 61#@29"
62" 77#@29"

Holm-Made Osprey
60" 67#@29"

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 10:09:00 PM »
Stump shooting is hard on any arrows.If you use a hardwood for stumpers they will hold up better but nothing is stump proof all the time.
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2009, 10:14:00 PM »
You will break a few, but if they break on what you call rotten stumps, then that would make me wonder about their quality.  I have shot for hours on stumps, rotten and not, and haven't broken two cedar arrows on the outing.  I'm shooting a 55 pound longbow too.  

I hear folks talk about breaking a dozen in a week.  I sure don't know what they are shooting into but that's either horrible shooting or terrible shafting.

Offline Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2009, 10:40:00 PM »
I agree with George. Years ago I use to purchase shafts from a local shop and they were constantly breaking. After much research I found out the grain was running out the side of the shaft. Now I specify straight grain only or there coming back. I think alot of shops are realizing this and the shafts seam to be a lot better. I just lately tried some laminated birch from 3Rivers, heavy as heck but realy tough.Great stumpin arrows,605 grains for a 50# spine and only 5/16ths.
Quote from Howard Hill.( Whenever he taught someone to shoot) "Son make up your mind right now if you want to target shoot or hunt as theres a world of differance between the two"

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2009, 11:17:00 PM »
George said it.  Enough said.

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2009, 11:53:00 PM »
Funny thing.... my daughter and I were shooting at the iron bunny Saturday. I dinged it and my arrow was fine upon inspection pulling 51@27. My daughter shoots 40@25 and shattered the same arrow. Go figure......
Just one more step please!

Some dude with a stick and string chasing things.

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2009, 02:45:00 AM »
I'd recommend ash for toughness. Have to tweak them a little but they are a very tough arrow.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2009, 04:01:00 AM »
I would be concerned...check them shafts for grain run out like mentioned above.

Nothing against cedar but my favorite shafting is Sitka Spurce from Raptor Archery.

Offline CheapShot

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2009, 12:18:00 PM »
Yeah, what George said. I have some cedars that I've shot hundreds of times that I can't seem to break no matter what. I have had some break that I didn't think they should.
I have pretty much given up shooting at stumps, instead I shoot at leaves or clumps of grass. Sometimes the leaf turns out to be a rock, and once again I have out- smarted myself.  :bigsmyl:
TNGIRL....
>>>>>>>>------------>>
Ye Olde Fartes and Sore Losers,
NGTA, TBG,
TGMM Family of The Bow,
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters

Offline Reg Darling

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2009, 06:08:00 PM »
What kind of points were you using? I break lots more arrows with Ace hex heads than anything else, but with Judo's I've often shot all day without breaking an arrow. Anyway, I like making arrows, so sometimes I have to bust a few up to make room for more! I also like laminated birch, but manage to break a few of them from time to time too...

Offline NightHawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2009, 07:26:00 PM »
I agree with the concensus. I have cedar shafts that have lasted for years being shot at everything and anything, I also have cedars that have broken in the foam on a 3-d target...go figure
1) Gen. 21:20
And God was with the lad, he grew, and he dwelt in the wilderness, and he became an archer
2)The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline csdqm2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2009, 08:29:00 PM »
I broke every arrow in my first dozen cedar. But they sure smell nice when they do. I'll second the ash. A bit heavier but tough as hell.
"Allways do sober what you say you'll do drunk... It will teach you to keep your mouth shut."

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2009, 08:42:00 PM »
Reg Daring we were using judos. I agree that some cedars are tougher than others. Mason was at a shoot last year and bounced two cedars off some small saplings on purpose on a 3D javelina. I told him he would break them before he shot, but he shot anyway and did not break them ???

I do think I may try a dozen doug firs and maybe some sitka spruce just to see if they last a little longer ? I know to buy my spruce from Hildebrand, but where do you guys buy fir ?

nocams  :coffee:
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline Brently

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2009, 08:44:00 PM »
Raptor Archery has matched fir shafts.

Offline Charlie Cole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2009, 10:01:00 PM »
Hardwood. Or carbon. I think Birch may be tougher, though.

Offline Buckeye Trad Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2009, 09:34:00 AM »
I think it depends on angle and distance along with tuning.  If your arrow isn't flying straight when it hits because say it's improperly tuned or if it hasn't had time to return from parodox it will cause the nock end of the arrow to whip violently upon impact causing it to break.  Same thing if the angle of the shot is awkward or the arrow glances.

Offline Crimson mist

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2009, 12:09:00 PM »
I've been making shafting from some reclaimed old growth fir boards and it's a lot tougher and shoots very well but I haven't found anything tougher than ash. It withstands hits on rocks and tree trunks that would destroy any other wood that I have tried including hard maple which one vender told me was the toughest wood shaft available

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2009, 12:21:00 PM »
Depends on how many hard shots they took before you hit the soft one. Just like a boxer in a ring. The first 25 shots to the head doesn't knock him out its the last one.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Bear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2009, 12:31:00 PM »
Jimmy,

You know I'm a cedar guy. Carbon is just tougher, no doubt. But I'd bet Mason's arrows weren't flying just right. If the nock aint behind the point, they might break.

I shoot the highest quality cedar I know of. It costs nearly as much as carbon blems. I shoot at anything I would shoot carbon at. I have nicks, deep gouges, you name it, but almost never a break.

In fact, the only problems I have with straightness relate more to how people pull them out of the target than anything else. One round of 3D is harder on my arrows than a day of stumping. I thought about getting some carbons just so I wouldn't have rush to the target before somebody starts yanking on my arrow.  :D
Twin Oaks Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member
Traditional Bowhunters of Tennessee

"just remember, you can't put the wood back on"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©