3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Is Cedar that Bad ???  (Read 735 times)

Offline Reg Darling

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Is Cedar that Bad ???
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2009, 03:21:00 PM »
I think the reason I break fewer arrows with Judos is that I get fewer of the glancing shots which seem to be the nemesis of all wooden arrows. Having said that I ought to point out that I buy cedar shafts selectively--only raw shafts weighing at least 370 grains and 390-410 is better. I do it for the weight, but I presume denser wood tends to be tougher. I haven't found sitka or fir to be appreciably tougher than cedar. For my $ when it comes to hardwood shafts there's nothing that even comes close to Bill Bonczar's laminated birches.

Offline John Nail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2009, 03:45:00 PM »
here's a hint you probably already know: Buy 23/64 shafts. They are usually the first run, and tend toward higher quality. many 11/32 shafts are from 23/64 that were run through again. At least that's how it used to be.
Is it too late to be what I could have been?

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2009, 05:32:00 PM »
Alex,
don't you shoot 23/64" logs ??? Seems like I remember that ? Mason's were 5/16" so maybe that was part of why they break so easy ?

John,
How do you feel about a 23/64" and a 5/16" if they weighed the same ? Wouldn't the 5/16" be denser and thus stronger maybe ? Just thinkin out loud here ???

nocams

:coffee:
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©