3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Chronographs...recom. please  (Read 370 times)

Online champ38

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Chronographs...recom. please
« on: February 10, 2009, 06:19:00 AM »
Looking to purchase a chronograph,the two Ive considered are the Pro Chrono, and the Chrony Archery Chrono. Any insight on these, or others, would be helpful. Thank You, Shane
56" Shrew Classic Carbon 68@29
58" 2-P Centaur Cabon Elite 57@29

Offline 2Knives

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Chronographs...recom. please
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 06:24:00 AM »
I got the Pro Chrono a few years ago and its worked great for me.
I've shot bows, pellet guns, rifle, pistols even black powder guns through it and it seems to work fine.
USAF AMMO Retired

Shoot True!!!
Don't Squat with your Spurs on!

Online champ38

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 06:53:00 AM »
Thank you 2knives, hasnt really occured to me that I can check my guns.Be interesting to compare ammo as well as my arrows.
56" Shrew Classic Carbon 68@29
58" 2-P Centaur Cabon Elite 57@29

Offline aromakr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 03:39:00 PM »
Shane:
There's not a lot of differences in Chrono's, maybe some different features, like lite kits, remote readouts etc. But you will experience slight different readings from machine to machine, as very slight differences in the space between the pick-ups can have huge differences in velocities.
A friend of mine was experiencing 10-15 ft per second faster readings than mine. Upon examining his machine we noticed one of the pickups had shifted about 1/8" after it was repaired, there was only about 1 ft per sec difference.
Bob
Man must "believe" in something!  I "believe" I will go hunting-----

Offline Dave2old

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 04:14:00 PM »
I have to wonder. Shot two bows through a newish chrono recently and recorded the readings. Shot the same bows with the same arrows through another chrono the next day, and got considerably different readings. Yet they are fun.

Offline O.L. Adcock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2009, 05:21:00 PM »
Any of them are good and only as good as the folks using them, like any tool...Dave, I've never seen that. At times we've run up to 3 of them in tandom (shoot through all 3 at the same time), all different brands, and all get within 1 fps of each other. If shooting outside without light kits, only do so between 10am and 2pm, otherwise the light angle isn't good and will cause odd readings.....O.L.
---Six NAA/FITA National and World flight records.----

Offline texophilite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2009, 05:29:00 PM »
Seems as if you get better results with all brands using blunt points. The readings are more consistent arrow after arrow.
LTH

Offline Dave2old

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2009, 07:48:00 PM »
O.L. Only difference I can see in the two I shot through is that one had the little plastic hood over it, and the other was open to the sky. The second gave faster times. Glad to know it can be done with precision, which I don't really need for my "just a hunter" demands, but what I've seen is enuf to keep me from buying. Sort of like all non-electronic (spring) bow-weight scales. Thanks, as always. dave

Offline aromakr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2009, 11:05:00 AM »
Dave:
The reason the one gave faster readings is the light needs to be defused by that little plastic hood. They are very sensitive to light angle and intensity.
Bob
Man must "believe" in something!  I "believe" I will go hunting-----

Offline Steel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2009, 05:34:00 PM »
I have the blue model Chrony and love mine such a great tool to have for archery.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©