3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Extending the life of foam quiver inserts  (Read 346 times)

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Extending the life of foam quiver inserts
« on: February 10, 2009, 12:43:00 PM »
I was wondering if anyone had tried using any of those expandible foam sprays to extend the life of the foam in their quiver.  If so, what type have you found that works best?  What did you use for compression?  Thanks.

Offline Dave2old

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Extending the life of foam quiver inserts
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 01:20:00 PM »
If you are starting with a new or good insert that doesn't yet need rebuilding, I keep mine soaked with mineral oil. This replaces smearing Vaseline on broadheads to keep them from rusting, as Vaseline is a mild blood coagulant. It also keeps the foam pliable, makes it last much longer and doesn't stink.

Seems like your spray insulation idea is a workable rebuild, assuming it will bond to the old foam ... or are you talking about removing the old foam and then replacing with spray? Give it a try and let us know. dave

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 01:43:00 PM »
I have used spray foam, as a replacement, and it worked great for me.

I used whatever was on the shelf at Loews. Just spray it in and let it cure. Because it expands I did not worry about using anything for additional compression. The can was good enough.

Once it cures just take your knife and cut off any excess foam that as expanded outside the hood.

You can also paint the foam if you are worried or do not like the yellow color.

Offline jrchambers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 03:54:00 PM »
i have used several foam sprays. with ok results, but they didnt hold up for long. i recently discovered that with a foam hood that is not completly trashed that bathtub silicone worked wonderfull, now it it kinda weightly so it cant be used to fill the whole thing but as far as just the used holes this stuff holds a broadhead snug enought that they will not fall out after countles shots and might actuly create a water tight seal around the shaft,  the broadhead shouldnt be pushed in past the insert though it makes for a tough exit.

Offline jct

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 05:12:00 PM »
If you start with a new one you can contact adhesive a piece of bicycle inner tube or equivelent to the surface. If you line up your b-heads in the slots everytime, I've found doing this at least triples the life of the foam.

Offline Gray Buffalo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2009, 06:56:00 PM »
what jct said
I try not to let my mind wander...It is too small and fragile to be out by itself.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

Offline Owlgrowler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2009, 07:13:00 PM »
Vaseline is a mild blood coagulant
never knew that, will try the mineral oil.
Bragging may not bring happiness,
but no man having caught a large fish,goes home through the alley.

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2009, 09:41:00 PM »
Thanks for all the info, guys.  Think I will silicone sealant/caulk when the time comes.  Not sure whether I'll go with the inner-tube cover or the mineral oil soaking on the next new one.  Mineral oil probably wouldn't help the rubber stick too much.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©