3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: ATT: Gullie suit Guys/GALS  (Read 814 times)

Offline sendero25

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: ATT: Gullie suit Guys/GALS
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2009, 08:05:00 PM »
I agree with wingnut, I have a two piece suit very similar to the one Cabelas sells, the strings on the pants catch/tangle/hang-up/ etc.. on EVERYTHING! Twigs, branches, vines get caught between the legs and make walking very difficult, especially walking quietly.
Stick with the long coat!
Sometimes I will carry the pants to my blind and put them on there if I have time, but walking/stalking in them is a pain!
That being said, mine isn't a burlap suit, it is made of very small synthetic string material, the burlap type may not catch on everything as bad.
I'll try to post a pic.
John
"I'm not very smart but I can lift heavy things"

"I'm not as smart as I look"

quotes by my good friend Clay Miller from Valentine, TX

Offline sendero25

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2009, 08:16:00 PM »

Offline sendero25

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2009, 08:17:00 PM »

Offline sendero25

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2009, 08:18:00 PM »

Me and tarponut, last day of hunting season this year

Offline sendero25

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2009, 10:04:00 PM »
miles tactical/www.theghilliesuits.com has a bowhunter version that is pre-trimmed in the bow arm and chest area to prevent bow string contact.
I didn't buy that version, but I had my wife standing by in the backyard with scissors! As I drew and shot, she would walk up and snip away any offending strings! So far no problem with bow string contact with the suit since the trimming sessions, and I shot sitting/kneeling/and standing to make sure she got it all.
I also use a side quiver (GFA, and Great Northern Sidekick), the strap across my chest also keeps the ghillie strings pressed in close to my chest and out of the bow strings way.
Now I need to trim the legs below the ankles so walking will be easier.
John

Offline wihill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2009, 10:16:00 PM »
I wonder if Rod over at Safari-Tuff has made any headway on his build it yourself kit he talked about a few months back.

:coffee:
Support the sport!

Offline Roy Steele

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2009, 11:48:00 PM »
A long time ago when Ghillie suits first came on the market my friends got them 4 people in all.They were really nice but made out of burlap strips.Which when it rained and they got wet the weighted about 30 plus pounds.
   I made my own out of 1"mess fishing net .Made long coat.Went to a sporting goods store that had camo see througth netting for blinds.Got different kinds,cut them into strips tie'd it onto each mess. Mine weighted 3 pounds wet fit into a cut off camo pants leg.And I can replace them when they need replaced.
   I found out you must where a long arm guard,you must cut down your bow arm and chest.And unto you refine your ghillie take a pair of scissors along hunting with you.And shoot useing it all you can.They don't go along with bow strings.There are great I've killed 14 bucks off the ground with mine and my selfbow and they work great in trees exspess'ly in ceaders.When the wind blows it can't be beat in the corn or grown up hay fields.I've shot 3 bucks in there beds in the wind in the corn.You may not beleive me but 2 times I've even gotton so close I've touched doe's with my bow.And this isn't even talking about the turkeys.And about 10 years ago I made one out of ASAT strips it's killer.It's gotton so go for the last 5 years I only hunt off the ground now.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
 20 YEARS LEARNING 20 YEARS DOING  20 YEARS TEACHING
  CROOKETARROW

Offline frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2009, 10:24:00 AM »
Originally posted by Roy Steele:
There are great I've killed 14 bucks off the ground with mine and my selfbow and they work great in trees exspess'ly in ceaders.When the wind blows it can't be beat in the corn or grown up hay fields.I've shot 3 bucks in there beds in the wind in the corn.You may not beleive me but 2 times I've even gotton so close I've touched doe's with my bow.And this isn't even talking about the turkeys.And about 10 years ago I made one out of ASAT strips it's killer.It's gotton so go for the last 5 years I only hunt off the ground now.
:notworthy:    :notworthy:    :notworthy:    :notworthy:  Thats all I have to say! WOW...Thats is absolutly FANTASTIC!!!!!
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2009, 11:06:00 AM »
IMO the shortcoat is all you need.  It hangs mid thigh and doesn't catch as much as the longcoat will.

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2009, 11:10:00 AM »
I exchanged email with Rod yesterday about the kits he was trying to come up with.  He hasn't made much progress.

I'm looking hard at this one:

http://www.sniperghillies.com/products/Ghillie_Kit_Mossy_Synthetic-7081-17.html

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2009, 08:18:00 PM »
That does look like a great on Mike
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2009, 11:22:00 AM »
Researched this for a couple years to find something to replace the smelly burlap one I made 10 years ago (STILL stinks!).  Here is what I finally chose:
  http://www.ghilliesuitclothing.com/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=52&osCsid=128b9bc5b3c358bb295bf2e46788162a    
Lots of good info on the site, as well...

Also found a nice review of several ghillies at:   http://www.bestghilliesuits.com/reviewlightweight-ghillie-suit/  

Might have picked the lightweight Rancho Safari, but it looked like they were out of business when I bought.  Glad to see them back.

Really looking forward to spending some time in the field with this.  Fun stuff!!

Daryl
Daryl Harding
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."  Jim Elliot

Traditional bowhunting is often a game of seconds... and inches!

Offline wihill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2009, 05:38:00 PM »
Originally posted by wingnut:
I exchanged email with Rod yesterday about the kits he was trying to come up with.  He hasn't made much progress.

I'm looking hard at this one:

http://www.sniperghillies.com/products/Ghillie_Kit_Mossy_Synthetic-7081-17.html  

Mike
Thanks for the link, Mike.  That looks interesting indeed.    :saywhat:    :coffee:
Support the sport!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©