3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Searching for a File...  (Read 547 times)

Offline Hornseeker

• Trad Bowhunter
Searching for a File...
« on: February 12, 2009, 10:30:00 AM »
I am looking for a file, a buddy has one, his is a 14" long "Bahco"  that he bought from 3 Rivers years ago to sharpen Grizzlys...

I cannot find this thing... does anyone know what these files are called? i thought they were used for shaping bondo and such in the auto-body industry... but I cant find them. That have very coarse, curved teeth... His is 14" long...which makes it very nice.. I used it to take some grizzly  down to the right angle and such once and it was remarkably fast and easy..

Thanks for any help. If there is any other "really good" files you know of... please let me know!

Ernie

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Searching for a File...
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009, 10:39:00 AM »
The one you really want is a Nicholson (by Cooper Group, Apex NC) flexible standard Superior Milled curve toothed file 14" model 50-908 #20189 comes in a red backed clear plastic sleeve.

Check this thread out.

http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=065714;p=1

Works awesome.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Sharpster

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2009, 10:43:00 AM »
Ernie,

I have some 14" radius tooth "panzer" autobody files that you're talking about. I haven't gotten them up on the website yet and Molson is field testing one for me right now. Hopefully, he'll chime in and give us an update. They sure will take a ton of metal off in a hurry. Give me a call if you like.

Ron
800 561-4339
“We choose to do these things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard” — JFK

www.kmesharp.com

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Hornseeker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2009, 11:03:00 AM »
Cool. I'll talk to you soon Ron and thanks for the link Dave...

Offline Sharpster

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2009, 11:03:00 AM »
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but, I understand that Nicholson is yet another company to shut down their manufacturing opperations in the US. I believe their files are being made in South America now and have heard that there may be some QC issues already.

That's why we're trying to find a good quality substitute for the Nicholson... Man, doesn't that get my goat!    :mad:  

Ron
“We choose to do these things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard” — JFK

www.kmesharp.com

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Hornseeker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2009, 12:25:00 PM »
http://westsidedelivers.com/item.asp?PID=17657

So this is the one... BUT...is "this" one made in America or somewhere else... Dang it..

Does Grobet make one? How about this Bacho?

Ernie

Offline Hornseeker

• Trad Bowhunter

Offline Sharpster

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2009, 01:16:00 PM »
Originally posted by Hornseeker:
 http://westsidedelivers.com/item.asp?PID=17657  

So this is the one... BUT...is "this" one made in America or somewhere else... Dang it..

Does Grobet make one? How about this Bacho?

Ernie
Ernie,

I'd call them and ask someone there to check to see if it says "Made in the USA" on the package... If it does, I'd buy it. The price seems too low though, have them check to make sure it's the right file.

Ron

www.kmesharp.com

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline metsastaja

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2009, 01:20:00 PM »
problem whit westside order is minimum of 6 if you read the fine print.

Must be ordered in multiples of 6.
Les Heilakka
TGMM Family of the Bow  
Some times the uneventful nights are just as good if not better than the eventful ones

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2009, 01:23:00 PM »
Buy American
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline Hornseeker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2009, 02:22:00 PM »
Well...I'd buy 6 if they were the good ones, cause I could surely pawn the rest to you guys!!

E

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2009, 02:26:00 PM »
That's what I have Ernie
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2009, 02:26:00 PM »
the problem with most of the cheap stuff is the grizzly will wear that bad boy out in a few heads.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2009, 02:28:00 PM »
This one will trim your nails/finger-tips real good for you if you don't pay attention. The Grizzlies are butter on it.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2009, 03:01:00 PM »
Dave,
are you speaking about the Nicholson? I was talking about the Bachos or whatever else he was listing.

The Nicholson is the gold standard if made in teh USA. If they've moved to SA or Indonesia or Slovakia, they don't have the steel quality Apex, NC had in its operations.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2009, 03:41:00 PM »
I have the Nicholson made in NC Ray.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Hornseeker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2009, 04:14:00 PM »
I'm thinking that if we can find something German or Swiss it would also be of top quality... I am going to check and see if they have american made Nichols still...
That Balcho or whatever it was called, was like $60... so I would hope they are good???
E

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2009, 04:31:00 PM »
As Ron mentioned earlier, I picked up a file from him a couple weeks ago.  I've done seven Griz 190's, some Snuffers, and some Woodsmans on it so far without any problems at all. These are not Nicholson's but they are every bit as effective. They cut clean with either light or heavy pressure and leave a pile of fine metal dust behind.  I cannot completely attest to the durability yet compared to the (USA made) Nicholson simply because I haven't had it long enough.  

Don't overlook these files if you're a three blade shooter. A few strokes to your Snuffer will remove the factory grind effortlessly and save the teeth on your Grobet.  Want to make that "precision ground" advertising on your Woodsmans ring true?  Run them on this file first.

I know from meeting and talking with Ron, he's only satisfied with providing the best products available, so give him a call and pick one up.
"The old ways will work in the future, but the new ways have never worked in the past."

Offline Hornseeker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2009, 04:51:00 PM »
I will...

Offline Sharpster

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2009, 05:50:00 PM »
Thanks Molson,

I appreciate the kind words. My primary interest was to get some feedback on these files from someone with experience with the Nicholsons to see if the ones I have are of similar quality. Please keep us all posted as you continue to "torture test" the file.

We sold quite a few of them at Kalamazoo. If anyone else can give us some feedback, good or bad, please do. Thanks,

Ron

www.kmesharp.com

TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©