3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Taper jig questions???  (Read 355 times)

Offline KILLER B

• Trad Bowhunter
Taper jig questions???
« on: February 12, 2009, 11:57:00 AM »
I am going to make a tapering jig but have a few questions.  First i am tapering the point end to add glue on field tips.  I do not have any idea of what the proper taper should be to get my dowles ground right. I read on another thread about how to make a taper jig and it says to use a shaft you know is the right size you want.  I don't have that. I was thinking about pushing playdough into the field point to see what the taper is.  I am open to any other idea that could help.  I want to try and avoid the trial and error method.  Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Sticks and stones break deer bones.
One final word -Ramalamashamjam-

Offline metsastaja

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Taper jig questions???
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009, 01:35:00 PM »
I have the pencil like tapering tool from 3rivers. Does points and nocks. It is simple to use.
 http://www.3riversarchery.com/Arrow+Building+Tools+Taper+3Rivers++Accurate+Tool_c52_s8_p109_i4077X_product.html
Les Heilakka
TGMM Family of the Bow  
Some times the uneventful nights are just as good if not better than the eventful ones

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2009, 01:36:00 PM »
Killer B, What do you have for a sander to use with the jig?
If you have a disk sander I have a jig that works well made from aluminium. It was made to use with my shopsmith table and disk sander.
If you have the disk sander this jig could be modified to fit another table.
I'd bee willing to part with it for postage since I have something else to use.
Ron
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2009, 01:42:00 PM »
Killer B:  The point taper is 5 degrees and the nock taper is 11 degrees.  It's the same on both field points and broadheads.  

I just made a couple of taper boards out of 3/4-inch plywood with a stop on the point ends and use them on my table saw with a sanding disk.  Use a protractor to get the 5 degree and 11 degree angles to mark the angle on the plywood pieces, then cut with whatever saw you might have available.  Good luck.

Offline Montauks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2009, 02:21:00 PM »
What is life? It is the flash of a firefly in the night. It is the breath of a buffalo in the wintertime. It is the little shadow which runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset.

Crowfoot, Blackfoot warrior and orator

Offline KILLER B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2009, 02:57:00 PM »
Macbow i appreciate the offer but i only have a palm sander.  What i am talking about is the jig in the link Montauks posted.  Orion that is more what i was looking for. I like the idea of having it adjustable with materials i already have.  I thought about the three rivers ones but i would need to buy more than one since i plan on making arrows from several different size shafts.  I think i will measure the 5 degree and 11 degree and check it with playdough.  Thanks
Sticks and stones break deer bones.
One final word -Ramalamashamjam-

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2009, 09:54:00 AM »
KILLER B A good way to test is to have a scrap shaft and grind the point and test fit and adapt as needed.
Ron
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2009, 10:18:00 AM »
Killer, the posted jig is for tapering the rear end of the shaft, and doesn't do the nock or point tapers.  A disk sander is by far the best for N & P tapers.  My mind can't picture a good way to do this with a palm sander.  Accurate and true tapers are critical to good arrow flight.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©