3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 60" Super Shrew thoughts  (Read 1049 times)

Offline WestTnMan

• Trad Bowhunter
60" Super Shrew thoughts
« on: February 12, 2009, 03:30:00 PM »
I am looking to get a new longbow and wanted some input about the Super Shrew. I have always been interested in them but never seen one personally but have read alot about them. I would assume that the 60" would be about as smooth as you can get. I'm not really interested in bows shorter than 58". I read alot about the shorter Shrew's but there dosn't seem to be much talk about the 60" bow. What do you think about them? I have about decided it will either be a Shrew or another Robertson. I'd never part with my Robertson Recurve.
Gen 27:3 "Take your hunting gear, your quiver and bow, and go out into the field to hunt some game for me."

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 60" Super Shrew thoughts
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009, 03:34:00 PM »
Buy A Super Shrew!
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline WestTnMan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2009, 03:38:00 PM »
That's what I hear.
Gen 27:3 "Take your hunting gear, your quiver and bow, and go out into the field to hunt some game for me."

Offline doowop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2009, 03:49:00 PM »
I have a SS Scout. Smooth like Butta.

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2009, 03:57:00 PM »
Knowing how smooth my 56" Classic Hunter is on a draw of 32", I imagine the 60" will be SWEET for you.
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Offline Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2009, 03:58:00 PM »
I had the 58 inch and 60 inch super shrew.For me the 60 inch was a better overall choice personally.I draw about 30 inches though and rarely shoot bows under 60 inches.I got a 60 inch Samurai coming in a few days and am stoked to say the least.My 60 inch was smooth,quieter for me and more pleasant overall to shoot.

My brother shoots a 58 incher and draws 28 and it really fits him well.

Offline Missouri Sherpa

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2009, 04:06:00 PM »
I have a couple of Super Shrews and I shoot them better than any other bow that I have tried of any length.  These are both 58 inches with connexion hinge takedown system.  I would not hesitate to order another one.  In fact I have two on order right now.  I am waiting for bow bolt equipped 58" classic hunters with carbon and foam limbs, curly birch veneers in grey and brown.

Offline ISP 5353

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2009, 05:35:00 PM »
I have a 60 inch Shrew Samurai and I love it.

Offline TSP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2009, 06:05:00 PM »
Missouri Sherpa, where/how did you get two TD Super Shrews with hinges on them?  I thought they only came with Bow Bolts (new ones) or Beveloks (older ones)?  Were they retrofitted from one-piece bows?  If so, do you mind if I ask who did the retrofits?  Thanks in advance.

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2009, 06:05:00 PM »
Shrew or a Robertson, there's 2 different animals there. I shoot a 60" SS and a 66" Robertson LB. I would take either one again in a second.

Eric

Offline Missouri Sherpa

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2009, 06:27:00 PM »
I bought a used shrew with the connexion hinge installed.  It is not the most aesthetically pleasing takedown system on earth but it works good.  I needed a functional takedown on a shrew and that was good enough for me.  I bought another second hand shrew and a connexion hinge from Robertsons in Montana.  I installed it myself.  I have been using them on 3 or 4 hunts every year for the past 3 years and they have served me very well.  They are getting kind of beat up now and I am replacing them with bow bolt classic hunters.  My son has started traditional archery this winter and is going to inherit a couple of great shooters as soon as my name comes up on the new shrew list.

The brown shrew on the right and the grey shrew (next to the yellow bamboo mosshorn) both have connexion hinges under the black rubber grip.  The rubber just rolls back when you want to take them apart.

I put a copperhead limbskinz on this bow(canebrake on the grey one)to coverup some of the dings and scratches.  I don't usually bother with putting the rubber grip on anymore.  Here you can see the connexion from the backing side of the bow.  If you decide to do this to your bow by yourself do not try to countersink the hinge into the glass for a smooth finish.  Your bow will blow up.  I did a test install on an inexpensive second hand JK traditions bow I had that is a handle forward design like a shrew.  I wasn't planning to shoot that bow anymore so it was my guinea pig.  Good thing I didn't do that to one of my shrews because it creaked once a split second before the handle blew apart at full draw.  You have to leave the backing intact, with the hinge bulging out into your hand.  I don't even notice it now that I am used to it but I would rather have the bow bolt installed when the bow is built.

Offline Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2009, 06:49:00 PM »
For years I wouldn't even consider a longbow under 60".  My first SSD was a 60" bow and it shot wonderful even at my relatively short draw length of 26 1/2 inches.  I always felt that I would give up stability if I went with a bow any shorter than 60".  Fast forward to this past December.....

I great friend of mine by the name of Billy Shipp sent me a gift on Christmas Eve.  In the box was his 58" SSD Limited.  Yes, I am still blown away by his kindness!  Since Christmas I've been shooting the 58" bow and I'm "hooked"!  The bow is as smooth and as stable as my 60" bow.  It's right around 6 fps slower but than again it's a good 8 pounds lighter!

I personally don't think I'd go any shorter than 58" but again that's a "personal mind block" I've got going.  For me 58" works well in a tree, ground blind or sneaking through the woods.  The perfect bow....

I love my new 58 incher.  As for my old 60 incher...I ended up selling the bow to someone stronger with better shoulders (57@26)....the darn bow just seemed to gain a few pounds in draw weight as I gained a few years in age  :thumbsup:  That's just my little hint for any lefties looking to sell one!

Good luck!

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2009, 07:18:00 PM »
You'll have to decide which you want, but as Eric pointed out, they're too different animals.  I've shot both, and they're both good shooters.  Quite different feels, however.

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2009, 07:33:00 PM »
I shot them for the fist time a couple weeks ago.  I liked both the 58" and 60" SS.  Nothing wrong with the 58", but I liked the 60 just a little better when playing around with them.  If I was going to order one I would probably get the 58" for tree stand and pop up blind.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline BRITTMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2009, 07:49:00 PM »
Ive had a 60 in Shrew and it was very smooth and very nice but I wound up trading it for reason unkown to me  :banghead:   . I recently got a 54 in. classic hunter and I could not be more pleased with this bow . It is just as smooth , stable , and fast as my other 60 in. super shrew . I was the same as you thinking that the longer bow would be smoother and more stable but the classic hunter is designed diffrent and is actually a better bow or at least it is to me . Call Ron and talk it over with him , he and Greg are the Shrew experts so who could tell you better than him .

Mike
" Live long and prosper "

Offline StickBowManMI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2009, 07:52:00 PM »
You might also consider a Griffin from John McCullough. Very similar to the Shrew qand great shooters. I have both bows and like them equally. The wait time may be shorter on the Griffin. Good Luck on whatever you choose.

Offline TNstickn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2009, 08:50:00 PM »
Terry, I got one you can check out if your going to the Lost Tribe shoot Sat. Its a 56" er. Its an older one. Got a new one coming this fall!
Pick a spot.>>>>-------> Shoot straight.

Offline WestTnMan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2009, 09:32:00 PM »
Yea, I'll be there Saturday. I would love to see it. I have always been interested in the Shrews.

Offline BowsnLabs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2009, 09:42:00 PM »
I traded a really nice 58" Robertson Vision IV last year for a 58" Super Shrew Samurai.  I had never shot a Shrew before and was nervous about the 58" length.  They are now my favorite bows!  I can't say enough about how nice these bows draw and shoot...smooth, quiet and easy to shoot.  I've always been more of a longbow shooter than recurve but I never imagined a 58" bow could feel so good.  I'd say go for it...if you don't like it you can sell it quickly in the classifieds.

Offline TSP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2009, 09:47:00 PM »
Thanks for the pics and explanation, M. Sherpa.  For a minute there I thought R. LaClair was using hinges on his bows now.  I have both a Super Shrew and a Howard Hill and have been looking for a 2-piece TD bow (of almost any make, just a no-tools version) for bike and backcountry trips.  There are bowyers that can do sleeve retrofits on Hills but so far I'm too chicken to try it.

Anyway, nice brace of Shrews you have there.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©