3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: New Hoyt Excel ILF... pics  (Read 957 times)

Offline Str8Shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
New Hoyt Excel ILF... pics
« on: February 13, 2009, 12:12:00 AM »
I recently purchased one of the new Hoyt ILF Excel risers. I've had several people ask for pics and info so I thought I'd start a thread.

The Excel is Hoyt's newest "entry level" ILF riser. It goes for about $180 from any Hoyt dealer. It is a fully adjustable ILF riser built on the same time proven designs that Hoyt uses. It is labeled as an entry level riser to the target crowd. For the individual interested in a longer riser for hunting, 3D, and all around shooting it is sweet. It comes in a 23" and 21" version. With the different ILF length limbs it will give you a bow from 62" to 68" depending on your setup.

The riser is well built. It is designed to handle any weight ILF limbs. I think it is labeled as entry level because it doesn't have some of the features a full blown ILF target riser has. For me, as a hunter interested in some competition, that is irrelevant and it is more than suitable for my needs. The fit and finish is very good. It is fairly lightweight, especially for an aluminum riser. I think the 23" riser is under 2 lbs. while the 21" is around 1.5 lbs.

I have mine setup with a set of Samick Extreme limbs that pull 63@29. The riser feels great with these limbs, no flexing. It points very well, has a nice responsive feel to the shot, and has very minimal vibration or noise. I don't feel handshock in the riser. With out silencers I can feel the limbs fluttering, like any recurve without silencers. Setup for hunting it is as dead in the hand and quiet as the DAS or Titan I've owned. Not bad for $180 dollar riser.

The performance is very good and I'm finding the bow to shoot very accurately. In fact, I think I'm going to name it "auto pilot" because it is so easy to point and shoot (for me). I've been shooting 300 rounds lately and even when I make a mistake it still goes close to the mark. I've  already shot a personal best with it and normally it takes me a while to synch with a bow.

For someone who is interested in an ILF setup at a reasonable price this is great value. The length would be excellent for anyone interested in a 62"+ bow. It's easily quieted for hunting and I can't wait to take mine out into the field.

A few pics showing the bow strung, riser up close, and grips. The black grip is standard, the high wrist wood grip is off a Dorado to show the similarity, low wrist, and side plates.

Offline BMG

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: New Hoyt Excel ILF... pics
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 12:50:00 AM »
thanks for the review.  When I get some extra spending $$$ I may have to pick one up.

Offline ckanous

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 06:09:00 AM »
Been looking to get one of these myself. Does the shelf have a radius on it? Do you have a Dorado also? If so hold does it feel compared to it?

Offline Str8Shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 12:53:00 PM »
The shelf doesn't have any radius to it. To shoot it from the shelf would require you to build it up a little with some type of material.

I don't have a Dorado but I've shot it. I've owned a few Gamemasters, a DAS Master, a Titan, and a Black Sheep. The Excel feels the lightest. It compares favorably to all those risers. Really, I was expecting alot less from a relatively inexpensive, entry-level riser. I've been pleasantly surprised. I think it shoots like the higher end Hoyt risers but without added expenses. Instead of anodizing it's powdercoated, one stab. bushing instead of 3-5, no machined in clicker plate, open limb pocket vs. machined, enclosed limb pocket.

Heck, I like it enough that I'm thinking about getting a 21" with short limbs for hunting. That is, when I get some extra money  :bigsmyl:

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 06:14:00 PM »
My step-son has been sitting on the porch all day waiting for his to be delivered. He went with the 21". Used to shoot a Dorado, he regrets selling now, hopefully this will do the trick.

Eric

Offline ckanous

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2009, 06:32:00 PM »
Thanks Str8 I think I'm gonna get one ordered Monday. I have a Dorado that I hunt with but have been wanting to play with some ILF stuff and this sounds right for me. Now all the limbs to choose from, I'm sure I'll have more ? for you.

Offline Str8Shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2009, 06:52:00 PM »
If any of you guys get the 21" lets hear about it. I went with the 23" for a longer bow and because I can use it to explore different archery styles, such as FITA. I'd love to hear what people think about the 21" version.

I've tried several varieties of limbs. Personally, I'd get a set of mid-level limbs. I've seen some of the cheap sets and I can see a benefit to spending a little more. A set of limbs that costs $180-200 can get you a lot of value. The real high end stuff is nice but most people won't shoot a $500+ set  of limbs better than the $200 limbs.

Chris

Offline recurve1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2009, 07:29:00 PM »
Looks good Str8shooter, i was wondering about the excell, sounds like a good choice.

Offline ckanous

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2009, 08:56:00 PM »
Which grip comes with it, your choice?

Offline Str8Shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2009, 01:09:00 AM »
The black grip comes with the bow. I put a pic of the Dorado grip (Profit High profile) for comparison. It doesn't fit on the riser.

The Low profile grip and side plates are technically for the compounds but with a very small amount of fitting they work on the riser. I put up pics of the different grips to show the differences in profile.

Offline Gehrke145

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2009, 02:19:00 AM »
I found some ok maps of the area I was telling you about PM me your email and phone number and I'll give you the heads up!

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2009, 07:08:00 AM »
S8S. I also recently purchased the 23" Excel for target and 3D. Did you also have to build out the flipper plate quite a bit to get correct arrow offset? I have Border CXG's on mine and the t300, don't like the twang I am getting from the rest, funny it doesn't happen on the Das hunter or elite. Did you use the rest that came with the riser? The AD 395 mags would not fit in the arm so had to change. May try a springy and weather rest just for kicks sine I have them laying around.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline wisconsin wood butcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2009, 08:59:00 AM »
str8 you mention hoyt GM what replacement  limbs  would you suggest to get for a 50#er @28.  i tried the TT longbow limbs the  #s got to high so i got the  pinnacle riser its real nice

Offline Str8Shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2009, 09:57:00 AM »
Will do, Adam.

I stuck the included rest on initially. Without some padding underneath it was inside of centershot. I've used the t300 and I would think it would require some building out to get the correct centershot. Personally, I like the CenterRest. It is provides good clearance, its forgiving, and it doesn't have any moving parts (plunger) so I don't have to worry about it for hunting. How do you like those Border limbs?

On the Gamemaster I'd go with a limb rated at 46 on a 25" riser to get close to 50 pounds. I usually found I'd gain about 4-5 pounds when converting the limbs to the GM riser. Depends some on the limb bed. I think I had Aurora limbs (45#) that came out to 51. A set of 42# FX limbs gave me 46.

I did try a set of Tradtech ILF longbow limbs on the GM riser. They were marked 60 on a 19" riser. I thought on the 21" GM I'd be in the upper 50's. Too my suprise they yielded 67@28. I think the limb pad angle is more reflexed (giving more weight) or they just come out on the heavy side. Sure made for a nice hunting setup, though.

Chris

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2009, 01:55:00 PM »
I like the border limbs a lot, they preform every bit as well as other top end limbs I have shot except for the hex5's. I have scaled back on weight while rehabbing an arm injury. It was cheaper to buy a longer riser, hence the 23" excel, than a lighter set of borders. Heck cheaper than most middle of the road limbs. Never had a plunger problem as that is what is on my hunting bow. I will be tinkering with as I am awaiting a  6 strand string for it, curious to see how it compares to the 14 strand on it now.

Offline Str8Shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2009, 04:01:00 PM »
Nice to hear about the Border limbs. I had a set of Hex 5 limbs but due to a mix up never ended up shooting them. You like the Excel?

I should clarify. I use the CenterRest because some of the local shoots don't allow a moveable rest (plunger) in the trad classes. Fixed rest is fine so that's what I use. That way I don't have to mess with changing things or shooting in the compound classes.

I'd be interested in how the 6 strand string works for you. I've played with some very skinny 8125 strings (6-10 str.). Quiet, quick, and they work good... just hated having to do double servings for proper nock fit.

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2009, 04:15:00 PM »
I like the excell, only negative so far has been the noise, but I do think it is the rest. Grip fits me well. This is my longest riser so its been fun playing with it. It is certainly a simple clean setup and I like that.

Got it on the center rest.

6 strand D97 has certainly been quieter on any bow/limb combo I have tried it on, 4 to date. It also required minor retuning as it does increase performance for me. Not sure I am comfortable with that thin on a hunting bow and may try 8 strand for the little extra safety factor on minors abrasions since I hunt with mid 50# bows to see if it is also quieter than the 14 strand. I do need to learn to make strings though. I get the 6 strand flemish D97 double served with .018 #62 under and .021 Halo over and get great nock fit.

Offline KrEn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2009, 08:00:00 AM »
!"#|£@@... Out of Stock! Ordered one weeks ago, called today wondering why it took so long - Sold Out.

K
-You see something, just whack it"

Offline KrEn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2009, 07:30:00 AM »
So, ive shot the Excel riser a bit now - w/ Winact long limbs on. It looks not very traditional. The black ones vere sold out worldwide so i to get one i changed the order to a red one... Have to play w some Duracoat or something..

Anyway, long ILFs on it pulls very smoothly to my 30"+ draw - more so than any bow ive owned. I also shoot it better than any other bow ive ovned.
Full lenght GT XT 75-95 Hunters with 225 grains up (sums to 585gr and 20% foc?) front fly like darts from it

surprisingly quiet, added one cat-whisker to the 15 strand flemish TS1 string i made, and it is dead quiet. Maybe not hunting quiet, but i seems easy to get there as well.

At 42# or thereabouts @28" it is not particularly hard hitting, but "power is good - accuracy is final"

On the down side it IS RED - signal red. and yes it is very cold in the hand when carrying or shooting in subzero weather.

K
-You see something, just whack it"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©