3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Stringwax for Flemish Twist Strings.  (Read 551 times)

Offline Buemaker

• Trad Bowhunter
Stringwax for Flemish Twist Strings.
« on: February 13, 2009, 05:45:00 AM »
I have a question. Which stringwax do you consider is the best for making flemish twist bowstrings. Over the years I have been useing a wax made by Bjorn Bengtson of Sweden, but they do not make it any more.That wax was very good because it was kind of sticky so the string threads glued very nicely together. Any other good brand? Thank you. Bue---.

Offline CJC

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Stringwax for Flemish Twist Strings.
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 07:01:00 AM »
"string makers" wax from 3 rivers. very sticky.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 10:17:00 AM »
Bees wax also is very sticky and works well.  I like it a little better than stringmaker's wax, but they both work well.

Offline JOKER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 11:08:00 AM »
I have been using some wax that I made. It is a mixture of 2-3parts Bees Wax to one part toilet bowl wax ring. Pure Bees wax is too hard and not real stickey and pure toilet bowl wax is stickey but too soft. This mixtuer seems to be just abourt right, It works very well. Steve

Offline JOKER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 11:12:00 AM »
To make: I just melted it together in a pan on the stove and then poured it into cupcake paper to cool and harden. Steve

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2009, 11:44:00 AM »
buy the bees was in ounce or two cakes.  It is harder than stringmaker's wax, but that's one of the reasons I like it.  Stickiness is a matter of degree, I suppose.  Maybe not as sticky as stringmaker's, but sticks to the string when I rub it on and in.  They both work, just a matter of what material you like to work with.  Joker, you may have melded the best of both.

Offline LKH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2009, 04:56:00 PM »
I got a quart of honey w/comb.  Chewed it out, melted and cleaned it.  Have used it for years, but like posted above, it is hard.  I rub it in with a lot of pressure and it sort of melts and then is fine.  

I use the toilet bowl wax on my snakeskins.

Offline KrEn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2009, 05:41:00 PM »
I have been using the Bohnings Tex-Tite, it works well. I just made a string (my first loop in both ends flemish) using beeswax, since i couldnt find the Tex-Tite, and that worked well too.
For linen strings i have only used beeswax. It is regular hardware store (Jernia) beeswax.

K
-You see something, just whack it"

Offline benny

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2009, 07:41:00 PM »
I am like Joker. I bought 1 lb. of pure bees wax from a beekeeper. Melted it and a 1/4 lb. of toilet bowl ring wax together, in a pot. Poured into a cupcake pan w/liners. Gives your self a lifetime supply.

Benny

Online Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2009, 08:41:00 PM »
1# Beeswax About $15.00 (take from bees when they aint home),1 toilet ring about $1.00 without the black plastic ring that most come with( you can buy them without that plastic ring also) and about 60 Micky Dee (McDonalds) ketchup containers that accidently fell on the floor and are "considered contaminated by the health department" to pour wax in...Oh yeah almost forgot grab an old pot from wife when she ain't looking and never give it back cause the wax is there forever and food may taste "Crappy" if you used an old toilet ring and then use the pot...Heat pot with torch, or whatever method please's you...After Thansgiving is over you can borrow the wife's turkey bayster or baby's snott booger remover thing ma jig to suck up the Hot wax from pan and squirt into the little ketchup containers...If you can't sneak the Bayster from the watchful eyes of the lady of the house or having the baby rat on you for stealing the booger remover tool then do what I did and suck it up through a straw and carefully drop it in the container...If and When the wax hits the Tongue you will know it and you went to far on the suckin part but you will get the hang of it and know exactly how much to suck up the straw..."Yes I did" and I am an expert now...My speach is a little slow now but I will never need string wax again...    :knothead:  Keefers <")))><

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2009, 10:16:00 AM »
Anyone ever try that Scorpion Venom stuff??
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline portugeejn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2009, 01:08:00 PM »
I use pure beeswax, but have found if it is cold it doesn't work as well.  If it is cold in the shop, I put it in my pocket for a while, or in a warm spot by the heater.  During the summer it is fine.

RonP

Offline swampbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2009, 01:28:00 PM »
I like bee's wax and use a small pc of leather to work it into the string.Rub it up and down untill she warms up and the bee's wax will get into the string,you can use your fingers but ya can't get the same heat
Shoot straight and have FUN!!

Offline R.W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2009, 09:22:00 PM »
If you use straight beeswax, you can use a strip of leather as a friction tool, just rub the folded leather up and down the freshly waxed string to heat the wax and string, so that the wax gets right into the strings strands.

And don't forget to do the loops, too!

The leather strip works for any type of wax, too.

Offline dino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2009, 09:32:00 PM »
I like string makers was from 3Rivers.  The rosin in the mix gives it a good stick over just pure bees wax that I've used in the past.  Just personal preference I suppose. dino
"The most demanding thing you can ask of a piece of wood is for it to become an arrow shaft. You reduce it to the smallest of dimension yet ask it to remain it's strongest, straightest and most durable." Bill Sweetland

Offline rkmnt2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2009, 07:45:00 AM »
I don't really have anything to add about what type of wax you use but I sure would like to watch Keefer make his up! lol

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©