3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ever have a woodie fail on impact?  (Read 1934 times)

Offline EASTERNARCHER

• Trad Bowhunter
Ever have a woodie fail on impact?
« on: March 14, 2007, 06:22:00 AM »
I have a cool trad pic of a hunter at full draw with longbow/cedar arrows as wallpaper on my computer which a buddie was looking at yesterday.  I could see he was thinking hard about something, so I asked what he thought.

He kinda looked and said "why don't these traditional guys use a decent arrow?" (now DON'T kill the messenger!)

I asked him why he would say that, and he commented that surely aluminum or carbon would stand up better, and he thought that wood arrows would more likely break or shatter on impact, even with hitting a deer sized target.

We got into a long conversation about this, but he still wasn't convinced, even after I explained that wood arrows were used for millenia before anybody EVER heard of aluminun/carbon......he's newand shoots compound, so please forgive him..

Anyhow, an interesting question might be....
has anyone EVER experienced a failure of wood arrows when striking living game? Not rocks, trees or frozen dirt.
ARCHER

Offline dino

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ever have a woodie fail on impact?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2007, 06:34:00 AM »
More animals have been taken with arrows of natural materials than aluminum or carbons combind.  That's just fact.  Not even an argument that I would engage in. dino
"The most demanding thing you can ask of a piece of wood is for it to become an arrow shaft. You reduce it to the smallest of dimension yet ask it to remain it's strongest, straightest and most durable." Bill Sweetland

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2007, 06:39:00 AM »
Your buddy doesn't understand physics either.
If an arrow fails on contact, any material, there was a fault in the material before the shot.
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline Hatrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2007, 06:53:00 AM »
Used them for many years without any problems. I've used carbon for the most part lately but I still love to make and shoot a good wood arrow. I wouldn't hesitate to hunt with them again.

But your title "Ever have a woodie fail on impact"
   Now That's funny!!!!!    :biglaugh:
The scent of Autumn is like food to the hunters soul.

Offline DarkeGreen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2007, 07:07:00 AM »
I've never had a wood arrow fail upon contact with an animal but I sure have had carbons fail. When praticing in the back yard I've missed the coke cans I was shooting at and hit rocks, having all three types fail.

Offline EASTERNARCHER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2007, 07:20:00 AM »
I JUST KNEW THAT SOMEBODY WOULD PICK UP ON THAT TITLE...LOL!
ARCHER

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2007, 07:49:00 AM »
Actually, if the impact is made perfectly dead on like it should, probably even a soda straw would suffice.   It is the very tip, about 3/8" square that makes the contact, not the rest as it is not the structure along the length of the arrow that matters at this point.  On an angled hit, things can change, but I for one have never had a wood arrow break on an animal, just from impact.  I HAVE had them break due to trauma sustained by the animals reaction and movement

I think your friend's worries about this particular scenario is wasted effort.  There are other, weightier things to worry about.  This is a sign of his inexperience with the use of trad gear, me thinks
ChuckC

Offline EASTERNARCHER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2007, 08:03:00 AM »
Sign of inexperience in archery period.  I agree..
ARCHER

Offline LoneWolf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2007, 08:05:00 AM »
I did have one fail on impact.  It was the last Howard Hill shoot I went to.  Hit the metal track that stupid skunk was flying down.  Snapped the shaft about 2" behind the point.  Would hate to see what happened to a carbon hitting solid metal like that.  At least I could put a footing on mine and shot it again.
LoneWolf
"Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;" Gen 27:3

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2007, 08:23:00 AM »
Darkegreen.....geez bud, buy a target :-)
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2007, 08:23:00 AM »
My son has snapped a number of Gold Tips, the "toughest arrow you'll ever shoot" using only a 38 pound at 24" bow.  Just about anything will break eventually.

I personally think, you hit something hard enough to snap your arrow, it was already stopped and the energy had to go somewhere...regardless of what you're shooting.
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Offline DarkeGreen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2007, 09:06:00 AM »
Originally posted by Biggie Hoffman:
Darkegreen.....geez bud, buy a target :-)
I have a couple of really good ones, cans are just more fun.  :)  That's my version of stump'n. I even do it in the woods i hunt. If i kill the can I place it in a "game bag" and then throw it away proper. Unlimited bag limits and plenty of "game" around these parts. I break one arrow every 500 or so shot.

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2007, 09:11:00 AM »
Ever see a pro ball player walk up to the plate carrying an aluminum bat?  No!! Just tell your friend you're a pro and he's still playin' pee wee!  :thumbsup:    :biglaugh:
"The old ways will work in the future, but the new ways have never worked in the past."

Offline JimE.IV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2007, 09:20:00 AM »
A few years ago I had one blow up in mid air.  About 10 feet away from the bow....

It really freaked me out.

Offline Archer 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2007, 09:46:00 AM »
I'm afraid your friend doesn't have a clue about what he is talking about, or archery for that matter.  :archer:
May Your Feet Always Make Happy Tracks.

Offline dino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2007, 10:02:00 AM »
Molson,
That was awsome!!!  :biglaugh:
"The most demanding thing you can ask of a piece of wood is for it to become an arrow shaft. You reduce it to the smallest of dimension yet ask it to remain it's strongest, straightest and most durable." Bill Sweetland

Offline EASTERNARCHER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2007, 11:03:00 AM »
Molson, way too funny man!

Jeez, I'm almost afraid to show this thread to him...he'll get all defensive like, and not wanna hunt with me again...oh wait,is that a bad thing? LOL.  kidding -just kidding!
ARCHER

Offline tpoof

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2007, 11:12:00 AM »
Failed just before impact!
I was pretty drunk though!!   :eek:    :D

Offline The Ursus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2007, 11:39:00 AM »
I've had wood shafts break on cardboard airial discs.  Otherwise no problem.

Offline stilllearning

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2007, 12:30:00 PM »
Stilllearning

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©