3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ever have a woodie fail on impact?  (Read 1936 times)

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
Re: Ever have a woodie fail on impact?
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2007, 12:47:00 PM »
The person in question, not the messenger, wasn't asking questions;  he was pontificating, with very little experience or knowledge to base it on.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2007, 12:49:00 PM »
Still.  
I am not seeing what you are in terms of these responses.  Sorry that you see them the way you do.   My apologies.  

You are most definately allowed to be a rookie and all of us are encouraged to ask questions and give answers.  

Remember, a lot of the time, answers are based upon our own experiences, which may not be as broad as the collective experience of the Gang.  

Please try to keep in mind, also, that many times, a response is given with tongue firmly implanted in cheek.  ( in case our terms differ from yours, and they might, the term "tongue in cheek" means given with maybe a hint of mischief).
Later
ChuckC

Offline SteveMcD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2007, 12:58:00 PM »
Too Funny. I love wood! Here's an endorsement for wood for ya'

http://www.elitearrows.com/champs.html  

Someday you and I will take the Great Hart by our own skill alone, and with an arrow. And then the Little Gods of the Woods will chuckle and rub their hands and say, "Look, Brothers. An Archer! The Old Times are not altogether gone!"

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2007, 01:01:00 PM »
Stilllearning,

As long as you now know that wood arrows are every bit as good, and in some ways better, than aluminum and carbon, you're doing ok.  Now you just need some practice learning to recognize a joke!  :)
"The old ways will work in the future, but the new ways have never worked in the past."

Offline Caddo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2007, 01:01:00 PM »
No, But one time at Band Camp........

:biglaugh:  

LD
"If your gonna kick a tiger in the butt, you better have a plan for dealing with his teeth!

Offline stilllearning

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2007, 01:14:00 PM »
I think it is time to clear some things up.
as it is sometimes very hard to put things on the net without sounding pontif.... pontuf....  like a know it all.  by the way I had to look that word up.

I was wondering if trad shooters, as you can tell I am not but am interesting in knowing more about it, ever use  carbon arrows and if not why not?  Does it cause problems with the bow or the arrow?  Inexperience is at its most here folks.

I have a ton of questions but now am not sure if I should ask.  But here it goes.

Do you have to worry about the arrow warping from storring the wooden arrows?  Even better is there a certain way you have to store the arrows?  Do you have to worry about to much or not enough moisture in the wood during storage and does rain effect the wood when shooting at game with a wooden arrow any more than shooting in the rain would with a carbon or aluminum arrow?  

I shoot compound and have only done it now for 3 years and love it.  I don't hunt in the rain as I don't feel that I can garantee a perfect shot everytime yet and don't want to take the chance of getting a less than perfect hit and not being able to track the deer due to loss of blood on the ground as the rain washes  it away.  Self imposed by the way and have had people say oh don't be foolish.

I have to get back to what I was doing or I could come up with alot more questions that could apply to both trad and compound shooting.

Also I have deleted my earlier response because I figured out that maybe I was taking them the wrong way.  My appologies for that.
Stilllearning

Offline Inhimwelive

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2007, 01:27:00 PM »
The only time I saw a arrow fail on impact was from a bad batch of sitka spruce.. I shot the arrow nice and straight into a cheap foam target and the arrow broke in half on impact..But it was definitely due to bad arrows.. Those arrows were so bad I broke 12 in 6mos.. Some would just snap when I pulled them from the target..
In Him we live and move and have our being , make a joyful noise, sing unto the Lord, tell him of your love, dance before him...

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2007, 02:49:00 PM »
One could draw a conclusion that wood arrows are not worthy- by simply shooting the wrong spine; bad grain; cheap arrows that have plastic one piece three fletch and nock in one type deals.
  I would tell your friend that arrows have spine; and that some wood arrows work better than others; and that some arrow woods are tougher than others.
  I think the oldest bow found was about 7,500 years old; and wood arrows have worked well- from before then to now.
  You might point out to him that there are tens of thousands of people shooting traditional bows and wood arrows; and why he thinks: we would?
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2007, 03:21:00 PM »
Stilllearning.  I'm confused, are you the buddy that Eastern Archer is talking about?  Regardless, to answer your most recent question about wood and carbons and aluminum.  Wood needs to be properly sealed or it will warp, but it is easily straightened.  Wood arrows are more difficult to make and keep in good shape than are carbons or aluminums, but a lot of us just consider that part of the commitment to traditional archery/bowhunting.  A lot of folks who shoot recurves and longbows also shoot carbon and aluminum arrows.  They're more maintenance free than wood, and they shoot beautifully out of traditional bows.  Hope that answers most of your questions.

Offline Patience

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2007, 03:53:00 PM »
stilllearning,

Orion said it. Wood need to be sealed, same as an all wood bows. Wood will need to be straightened the same as alum. need to be straightened every once and a while. I find from my own experience that people use wood arrows for the same reason they shoot all wood bows. It is all preference. Are they less capable then alum or carbon? Not by a long shot, just different. Example, 700 gr carbon, 700 gr alum, and 700 gr wood shot out of the same 50# bow, will hit with the same impact power. To carry this just a bit further, wood will bend a bit more making it more forgiving out of certain bows such as self bows with wide handles.
I hope this helps and never stop asking, that's when you stop learning.

Offline Alex.B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2007, 04:03:00 PM »
no, I never experienced it, because I keep my BHd's sharp
tgmm, tanj, compton, bha

Offline JBiorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2007, 04:10:00 PM »
"God made wood, and wood is good------Go Traditional"
 Stolen from classicarchery.com.

Jeff

Offline JimE.IV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2007, 04:12:00 PM »
Oh and I also have had a graflex shaft blown up on me...I still have the scars on my bow hand from the glass shaft.

Check EVERY arrow after you miss No matter what the material is!

Offline Charles K.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2007, 04:31:00 PM »
Yes, wood is good.

Offline EASTERNARCHER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2007, 05:51:00 PM »
Originally posted by Orion:
Stilllearning.  I'm confused, are you the buddy that Eastern Archer is talking about?
Yes guys, this is my friend, whom I work with, hunt with and spend time planning activities in the great outdoors.

I didn't believe that this simple discussion would get so heated!
Yup, he's learnin'....but ain't we all? And as Orion says, if we turn our noses to simple questions, then we stop learning and evolving don't we? BTW...I think the questions are valid as I began to wonder about the stress at impact to.  Gave us all a chance to learn something new today.
ARCHER

Offline Steve P

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2007, 08:10:00 PM »
I've never experienced a broken arrow/failure on game, but I've only been shooting wood a little over 20 yr.

Steve

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2007, 08:29:00 PM »
I've had cars break- seen buildings fall down- a microwave recently quit working on us- and a TV lost its picture a few months ago.

None of those events stopped me from going out and getting another one- anything made by man can break/fail/quit doing what its supposed to do.

I can hit a golf ball with a wooden club as far as you can hit it with a titanium driver...both materials are fine..its a matter of choice. They all get the job done...we aren't sending a rocket to the moon trying to break the hold of the earth's magnetic field here..we are trying to poke a sharp stick through the thorax of an animal at 20 yards and under...its not rocket science...its 20,000 year old physics worked out by cave men.

May I suggest a book to read- its a primer of sorts that will answer more questions than you ever thought of, stillearning...its by T J Conrads and its called....oh, I think its Traditional Bowhunter's Handbook?? Someone here will tell you for sure..but its A to Z and though long, is a quick read.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2007, 08:42:00 PM »
Ray, you're a trip. Well said.

Offline JImmyDee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2007, 09:01:00 PM »
I've had a number fail on impact -- usually the first time the arrow's loosed.  "Bad shaft," I say, "Wish I had known that before I straightened it, nocked it, trimmed it, sealed it, pointed it, and fletched it.  Oh, well."

I cull quite a few wooden shafts cause they're bent in more than one direction or I don't like the look of the riffs.  Out of every dozen I finish, I'll usually get a couple great shafts and a couple miserable ones.

Although carbons are more hassle to tune, it seems   that they're more consistent.  But -- and I don't know if it's my mindset, or what -- I seem to make my "first shot" hits more frequently with wood than carbon.  Go figure.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2007, 10:08:00 PM »
Still.  
stick around and keep asking your questons.  Sounds like you want to know and there are a bunch of folks here that like to teach.  Its really a pretty cool place.  

We try, very hard, to keep things on an even keel here.  Not too many scuffles or yelling matches ever take place here.  Matter of fact....if they do, the folks whose names appear at the top left of the page tend to shut it down pretty quick.  We like it that way.

As I said, its a pretty cool place.
ChuckC

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©