3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bow-bolt question  (Read 226 times)

Offline Greg Owen

• Trad Bowhunter
Bow-bolt question
« on: February 13, 2009, 06:04:00 PM »
How many people have done a retrofit on an existing bow?  I am thinking of trying it on my Shrew.  Ok so I am crazy but what's life without a few thrills.
Greg  >>>>>--------------->
A Traditional Archer and Vegetarian.

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bow-bolt question
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 06:10:00 PM »
before you do it, call Shrew and talk too them.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Greg Owen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 06:14:00 PM »
I have seen them say that they don't do retrofits. I know they use them on new bows. I plan to order one soon.  The process doesn't look too hard, just have to be very careful to do it right.

Offline toxophicsteve

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 06:17:00 PM »
i have a samuri with the dove tail sliding connection and it is great in all respects.give it a look i think youll agree.

Offline Greg Owen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 06:20:00 PM »
Where can I find info on it? Thanks

Offline Missouri Sherpa

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2009, 06:30:00 PM »
Beware of what you are about to do.  Not all riser materials are made equal.  Some woods are more likely than others to fail, ask Ron or Greg about which riser materials they recomend for bow bolts.  I would think a retrofit bow bolt would be tough to do on a shrew handle.  You will not have much room for error.  I think the smaller size bow-bolt would be required.  

Think of this:  If your retrofit fails you will be out the cost of the bow bolt and the cost of your Samurai.  A used Samuri is worth at least $400-450 if its in decent shape.

If you buy a new shrew with the bow bolt upgrade you are assured of having a great bow for about $300 more than you could do it yourself if you don't buy the bow bolt and sell your Samuri.  I have cut a few bows in half doing aftermarket takedowns (connexion hinge and crusader type bolt) and I have ruined a couple of cheap used but otherwise good bows practicing before I got it right.  Save yourself the disappointment. The reward from the satisfaction of doing it yourself will not last nearly as long as the despair from desecration/destruction of your Samurai.  It is a big gamble against tall odds for small gain in my book.

Offline Bear Heart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2009, 07:12:00 PM »
Please don't do that.  The shrew is not an easy conversion.  Infact Griffins that have a bow bolt have a chunk of micarta in the center.
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad
"Memories before merchandise!"

Offline L. E. Carroll

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2009, 08:18:00 PM »
I watched a Pronghorn that had been retro fitted with a bow bolt blow up !!! It was not a Pretty Picture. Don't do it. John Mc Collough will not even consider it.  He uses phelonic in the risers he puts bolts in just for the added strength.
Gene
Tall Tines R/C
64 Kodiak
69 Super Kodiak Big River replica
56" 55$# Static Tipped Kwyk Styk
Blacktail Elite
54 dual shelf Compass Kodiak

PBS Associate Member
Traditional Bowhunters of WA.

Offline Greg Owen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2009, 09:07:00 PM »
Ok thanks all. You have convinced me to wait for one built with it.  Its just always hard to order something new when you love what you have.  Now if I could just hit where I look rather than look where I hit. Thanks again.

Offline Craig Warren

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2009, 10:40:00 AM »
Greg,

You've received a lot of very good advice here on this topic.  Please take it seriously.  As the saying goes, "practice makes perfect".  You don't want to be practicing the installation process on your favorite bow.  The process is not hard to do, but it is not hard to make a mistake either.  If you still want to do it yourself, you would be wise to take Missouri Sherpa's advice and practice on a cheap, used bow first not on a fantastic bow like your Shrew.
Best of luck,
Craig
 www.warrenarchery.com

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©