3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Add weight to carbons?  (Read 353 times)

Offline sweeney3

• Trad Bowhunter
Add weight to carbons?
« on: February 13, 2009, 09:12:00 PM »
I'm shooting Gold Tip 5575s from three bows: an old Bear Kodiak Hunter, a Bear Montana, and an old Ben Pearson BP-H30.  The arrows work well with each bow, but I want to make them heavier.  I have been looking at the brass weight inserts for Gold Tips.  If I were to add, say 50 grains to both the front and rear, it seems to me that would add 100 grains of weight without altering the balance point.  My question is: Would this alter the spine so that they wouldn't perform as well?  Also, could I add the 50 grains to the rear and 100 to the front to achieve better FOC, and would this reduce spine too much?

Any input would be appriciated!  

Ultimatly, I want to switch to heavy wood arrows, but currently I am in school and can't afford to be breaking several woodies each month roaving.  It's carbon for durability for now...
Silence is golden.

Offline Korak

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Add weight to carbons?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 09:22:00 PM »
I have used the weight tubes from 3 Rivers in my 5575 GTs. I use the five grain version. They brought my arrows from 358gr to 492. If they changed the spine, I could not tell.
Korak
NW AR
1973 fedora TD

Offline LKH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 09:28:00 PM »
I think you will have to experiment while bareshafting, but I would start w/full length shafts.  I wasted a lot of money on carbons before I quit just cutting them to what I wanted.  I now shoot w/about 2.5" out front.

Offline Otto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 09:29:00 PM »
Adding weight to an arrow weakens the dynamic spine.  Not much...maybe 5 lbs or so but it does weaken it.

I use the 5 gpi weight tubes from 3 Rivers as well.
Otto

Offline sweeney3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 09:45:00 PM »
Thanks.  I hadn't even noticed the weight tubes on their site.  I had been considering the brass inserts and/or the washers.  My use a comination of the tubes and the other.
Silence is golden.

Offline ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2009, 09:47:00 PM »
the arrow will balance differently because your not putting 50gr + whatever the weight of the original insert was on the front.
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2009, 11:17:00 PM »
I tried the 8gr weight tubes in 5575 30" bow at #50 recurve and it effected my spine alot.light weight tubes  may be better but didn't try.A lot of people suggested 100 gr inserts.now my arrows are fly awsome.I like the heavy inserts best, but I am new to the trad tuning.

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2009, 11:31:00 PM »
I shoot a 50#@28" recurve and use the 55/75's with 150gr points and 100 gr brass inserts (total 250 up front). On a 30.5" arrow this gives me a total arrow weight of 492gr and about 20.5% FOC.

Bisch

Offline bushytail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2009, 07:46:00 AM »
100gr. brass inserts w/145gr.point in my Heratige 250 work nice out of my 55# Super Kodiak.Arrows weight is 611gr.A heavy arrow will also absorb more energy making the shot feel nicer in your hand.You just gotta reprogram your mental computer at the longer ranges.Because it will drop a little.
Harold Wetzler

Offline Clinglish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2009, 07:58:00 AM »
carbon arrows respond best to higher FOC than timber or aluminium shafts. My GT s are flying like darts with about 23% FOC
I love Bowhunting!!!!
Hunting for Bows that is   ;)

Offline Bullwinkle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2009, 08:39:00 AM »
I am going to add some weight to my Goldtip 55/75's as well but I am looking at using weight tubes.  My arrow is 445 grains right now and I want to get the arrows up to around 580.  I am shooting indoors right now with the lighter arrows but once I go outside I will add the weights to start shooting at various distances.

Offline Gator1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2009, 08:44:00 AM »
Anyone have any luck with small diameter rope?

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2009, 08:48:00 AM »
I used 3/16 dia. rope inside the shaft, full lenght. Seemed to work, weight came up 97 gr. I think. A guy I know also tried weed wacker line, that worked for him. I think he used 3 pieces.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline pcappy08

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2009, 10:41:00 AM »
im shooting 5575's at 30" (my draw length) and i had the same concern i prefer a heavy arrow...i used the 5gpi insert and 100gr brass insert...shooting them out of a 58lb great northern and a 60lb morrison and they fly great and hit like a ton of bricks
Great Northern Super Ghost
56" 60lbs @ 29"
Morrison Cheyenne
62lbs @ 29"

Offline pcappy08

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2009, 10:41:00 AM »
oh forgot to add that im using a 125gr point good luck to ya
Great Northern Super Ghost
56" 60lbs @ 29"
Morrison Cheyenne
62lbs @ 29"

Offline sweeney3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2009, 09:33:00 PM »
Thanks everyone.  I put in an order for the 5 gpi weight tubes as well as the 5 grain brass washers.  If those don't tip the FOC up enough, then I'll try the brass inserts too.
Silence is golden.

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2009, 11:34:00 PM »
Raptor archery, Ted Fry's place now has a new arrow out I am gonna try, it has internal footings that you can add alot of weight to the arrow. I tried the weight tubes and they threw my arrows way off, tottally bad flight - I claim that I may have been doing something wrong as I know guys that used em and loved but not going that route again.

I believe Ted said that his footings are the exact diameter of the inside of the arrow meaning no slop. (yeah I pinched the weight tubes too) so hopefully that tight fit makes a difference.

Will tell ya shortly!

J
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline Warchild

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2009, 09:36:00 AM »
I am a Salmon fisherman in the spring and summer, and one year I added lead core line to a set of aluminum arrows and that worked nicely. I also have copper line that is even heavier, I should try it. As I love the woodies, I haven't shot game with the weight system yet but I may try them just to see what they will do. I have had carbon arrow penetration issues in the past, when they first came out I couldn't resist and tried them. Shot a nice buck at 12 yards and was horrified to see the lack of penetration.  :thumbsup:   Ever since then I have used wood or Grizzly stiks on animals.

Offline breid

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2009, 05:00:00 PM »
I have both rope and the weight tubes in different arrows.  The rope is way cheaper, but can be somewhat inconsistent in weight if you don't cut meticulously, but I got mine within 10 gr for the most part.   My GT 3555 Trads are full length and with a 190 gr point are just over 700 gr with cotton rope and around 600 or 650 with braided nylon.  Been a while since I checked.  One thing with the rope, is it deadens sound if you whack it or drop it.
I use the tubes in my gt for my compounds.  I like having those a lot closer in weight than I worry about for my recurves.
I saw bambi too, I got over it.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©