3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: footing carbons  (Read 233 times)

Offline cooncrazy

• Trad Bowhunter
footing carbons
« on: February 13, 2009, 10:44:00 PM »
how many out there foot there carbons is it worth doing it and does it efect the spine and could you use a 2 inch piece of alluminum arrow with the insert in the alluminum arrow and glue over the end of the carbon thanks
walk softly and carry a big stick

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: footing carbons
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 11:11:00 PM »
I have only footed some Axis/MFX,the ones I footed did not have the heavier brass inserts in them.I footed them so 5/16" points fit more flush and they come in heavier weights up to 300 grs..Those heavier points are longer and the put alot of leverage on the open end of the shaft on a glancing blow.It really helps to strengthen the front end of the shaft on the skinny carbons,keeps the end of the shaft from cracking.I used 1" to 1.5" foots,that short doesn't affect spine,just adds alittle weight to the front end maybe like 10-12 grs.I just made my foot just to overlap the front of the HIT insert.

Offline cooncrazy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2009, 01:44:00 AM »
oh ok
walk softly and carry a big stick

Offline Precurve

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2009, 05:46:00 AM »
I've footed most of my Goldtips with 1-1/2" sections of old 2219 aluminum shafts.  I don't use the 2219 aluminum insert, but use Gorilla glue to secure the 2219 section over the end of the goldtip, then use 100 grain brass inserts from 3-Rivers epoxied into the Goldtips.  The 2219 sections aren't large enough to fit over the brass inserts, so I glue them on first and then butt them up to the back of the insert.  I taper the back end of the 1-1/2" section of 2219 with a grinder before glueing to the shaft.  Makes for a super tough shaft.  I've also used short 1" sections for the nock end of the Goldtips if I find cracks developing in front of the nock.  The extra 10 grains/inch from the 2219 section doesn't affect the spine or flight vs arrows that I haven't footed.

Dave

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2009, 07:06:00 AM »
If your going to foot them foot both ends, they will hold up longer that way.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2009, 07:26:00 AM »
If ya foot both ends remember if ya foot the nock end it will stiffen spine a tad bit. The front will weaken it a tad bit but most carbons recover quickly so the front is where ya want the footing. I have never footed the nock end. Shawn
Shawn

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2009, 10:29:00 AM »
You really don't need 2"....1" should  be plenty....can do twice as many that way. Shawn is correct...no need to foot both ends. If I  had to do that I would presume  I was shooting poorly made shafts. In the 8 years or so that I have been shooting carbons (I've shot most of them) none of them needed to have the nock end footed and I shoot bows 60# and up.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2009, 11:26:00 AM »
I just picked up some carbon express for stumping and 3-D shooting. I footed the front with a 1" piece of 2117. Perfect fit and works fine.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©