3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Too Many Hogs  (Read 2953 times)

Offline stick_string

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Too Many Hogs
« Reply #160 on: February 19, 2009, 10:15:00 AM »
Thanks Mike...hope to see you at the hunt as well, would love to hunt with you guys.  Going to take the Windtalker out and fling some arrows!!
stick_string

GEN 27:3 (its in the BIBLE!!)

Ember Longbow and Brack Drifter

Offline buckster

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #161 on: February 19, 2009, 03:44:00 PM »
Hey all... I will be hunting with a Morrison ILF 58"  50@28" lbs, with either Hoyt or DAS limbs.  Will probably bring my Nomad as a back-up.  Shooting MFX 500's, around 530 grains with a sharp 2-blade at the killing end.  

Hog hunting is TONS of great fun and it can be quite a challenge trying to keep from being winded!

I am from a family of 7 kids and will eat most anything except coffee grinds or bannana peals.

Pac and I are planning to drive over from Central AR on Thursday evening and leave Monday morning.  I am READY TO ROLL and looking forward to making some more trad friends!
"Carpe Carp" ... Seize the fish.

Offline buckster

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #162 on: February 19, 2009, 03:50:00 PM »
Jim,

I'm also an old Jarhead, but we like to keep the old wake-ups in our subconscious whenever possible.  

I still have flashbacks of the Summer of 81 and the crashing trash cans @ Parris Island.   :eek:
"Carpe Carp" ... Seize the fish.

Offline Friends call me Pac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #163 on: February 19, 2009, 03:56:00 PM »
Buckster has spoken for my extra cot.  

Got to remember to bring the camera.
USAF Retired '85-'05

An old hand me down recurve sparked the fire, Trad Gang fanned the flames.  There is no stopping now.  Burn baby burn!

Offline yamaharider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #164 on: February 19, 2009, 07:19:00 PM »
I am bringing my Mathews Switchback XT Compound Bow 70 lbs 30 Inch Draw with drop away rest and 8 pin Fiber Optic sight LOL!  NO!  Just Kidding!  Don't own a wheeler anymore,  not that I am against them. Too each his own and I respect all ethical hunters.
I will use my Bob Lee 60" TD Longbow or my Thunder Mountain Coyote Longbow with G/T tipped with razorheads or 2 blade magnus.
I won't need a cot, I will be so excited I will not be able to sleep LOL!!
Thanks Steve
PSAV

"The older I get, the better I was"

Offline NightHawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #165 on: February 19, 2009, 07:40:00 PM »
WOW!!!! Not sure what to say except  THANK YOU STEVE!!! Think I might fly down and rent a car once I'm there but my plans aren't etched in stone. I'm like the other guy in wondering how I'd get the meat home if I fly. That could be a problem, not sure.
1) Gen. 21:20
And God was with the lad, he grew, and he dwelt in the wilderness, and he became an archer
2)The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Homebru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #166 on: February 19, 2009, 11:30:00 PM »
Morrison Shawnee w/ Dakota limbs 56# @ 28".  I haven't decided if I'm flying or driving.  

I'm looking forward to meeting everyone and stirring up some pork!!!

homebru

Offline razorsharptokill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #167 on: February 20, 2009, 01:13:00 AM »
How about dry ice and UPS? Hey Steve, what are the latrine plans?

Also, here's a question I've wondered about. Why are Aussie and New Zealand hogs so much more aggressive?

A better look at the kill zone on hogs. If the site is up.

http://www.texasboars.com/anatomy.html
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
Oklahoma Army National Guard 88-89
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
Oklahoma Air National Guard 2002- present. Operation Iraqi Freedom 2005(Qatar) and 2007(Iraq),
Operation New Dawn Iraq 2011,
Operation Enduring Freedom 2018 Afghanistan.
NRA Life Member.

Offline Chester Thompson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #168 on: February 20, 2009, 04:49:00 AM »
I am planning on driving for the May weekend and I am willing to pick people up from the airport if needed.
Ask me about CTO.

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #169 on: February 20, 2009, 07:03:00 AM »
Meat on the airline is not a problem.  Bone it out, ice it down in a cooler.  No dry ice on an airplane.

Pay for an additional bag on the way home.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline razorsharptokill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #170 on: February 20, 2009, 07:25:00 AM »
Does altitude affect it or is it just that it is a chemical?
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
Oklahoma Air National Guard 2002- present. Operation Iraqi Freedom 2005(Qatar) and 2007(Iraq),
NRA Life Member.

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #171 on: February 20, 2009, 07:26:00 AM »
Actually you can make a pretty good bomb with dry ice.  I think that's the reason.  Do a Google search on dry ice bomb and you'll be surprised.

LOL

It's on the list of things you can't have in your luggage.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline razorsharptokill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #172 on: February 20, 2009, 07:36:00 AM »
Hmmmm.. wheels turning  :scared:
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
NRA Life Member.

Offline brill16hockey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #173 on: February 20, 2009, 08:00:00 AM »
Chester, I will be flying in for the May weekend and would definately appreciate a ride from the airport.  I am going to book the flight this week, it looks like I will be getting in about 7:30 in the morning, so I can hang out there until you come by.  This is so exciting, why does it have to be so far away!?

Offline The Vanilla Gorilla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #174 on: February 20, 2009, 08:02:00 AM »
Dry ice bombs are crazy powerful!  I used to work at a grocery store when I was a kid and we'd scoop dry ice into a 2 liter bottle, then add water over the top of it, screw the cap back on and pitch it out in the loading dock.  When it went off, it was indeed spectacular!

I've seen guys pack their coolers with ice to the brim just before getting to the airport, then ductaping the lid down as tight as they can get it, and the meat survive a pretty long flight.

I'd help if the meat was frozen solid maybe overnite beforehand, I'm sure, though.

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #175 on: February 20, 2009, 08:41:00 AM »
Really ice is fine on an airplane.  Heck I've brought unfrozen meat back from Idaho with and Ice bath driving for two days and it's fine.

Just get it boned out and cooled ASAP and put it in an ice bath.  Drain off excess water and add a little ice before you check it in.  Keep it under 50# if you can to avoid overweight charges.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #176 on: February 20, 2009, 09:24:00 AM »
I live in Ovilla about one hour from Weatherford. Would love to help you with your problem. My bud, Ric O"Shay (Danny) would certainly tag along. He is real good at hauling dead things out of the brush.  :bigsmyl:

Offline Chester Thompson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #177 on: February 20, 2009, 01:10:00 PM »
Does anybody else think that we need to make a post for each weekend? That way things like people needing to get pick up from DFW are covered in the right area? Or other things that people will need just for that weekend they are coming?

If anybody does not/can not take all of their meat back with them I would be willing to take it and donate to Hunters Harvest (http://www.huntersharvest.org/).

Chester
Ask me about CTO.

Offline Chester Thompson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #178 on: February 20, 2009, 01:11:00 PM »
Oh yeah I will be shooting just my plain Bear Kodiak hunter or the Martin x200 that I have. sorry to be so boring.
Ask me about CTO.

Offline brill16hockey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #179 on: February 20, 2009, 02:55:00 PM »
I agree that we should get a weekend post going so that we can contact the people we are hunting with, I keep looking back to page 7 to see who is on the May trip!  BTW, what do you put your arrows in to get them on the plane?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©