3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Too Many Hogs  (Read 2957 times)

Offline Steve71

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Too Many Hogs
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2009, 11:25:00 PM »
Do any of you have a problem hunting over a feeder.

« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2009, 11:26:00 PM »
I'd be interested too. I love hunting pigs.

Bisch

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2009, 11:26:00 PM »
Oliverstacy, hell of a gesture!

Offline Steve71

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2009, 11:36:00 PM »
Lets try to put this together

Offline Chester Thompson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2009, 12:07:00 AM »
I wish you were closer to Houston, but I might be able to make it up there for a trad weekend.

Chester
Ask me about CTO.

Offline highpoint forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2009, 12:12:00 AM »
Steve I have buddies in Albany, etc. and can be there as soon as you say. I can help organize if necessary. A trad shoot would be nuts! Weatherford is a breeze from Dallas and down at the end of the street from Ft. Worth! Are you trying to eradicate them or just hunt them? Always take out the alpha female and her subordinate female, as well as the alpha boar, which is easier said than done, but this will "break" a sounder of pigs and disrupt it's birth cycles. The fellas I know who do it well use game cams to figure out who's who in a sounder and knock them off one at a time. It's an ongoing war....here's his advice:

"....The problem with trying to reduce their numbers lies in taking out "select animals" in a "certain order" without educating the entire group.

Getting "volunteer hunters" is no problem. Every time I post a hog picture here (or elsewhere) I'll get 50 solicitations to "come help". Unfortunately, maybe one or two of those well meaning folks actually understand hogs and their habits. The rest will only succeed in "bumping into them" and educate the hogs in the process.

My purpose is not to just "run them off" for awhile. I am trying to thin their numbers by appreciable amounts.

To do this...you need to take out as many boars as you can first. The mature boars a very elusive and smart. Next...(or at nearly the same time) you need to locate and remove the "Alpha sow", she will be the leader of the sounder and an excellent "teacher".

Next step is to shoot out the "subordinate" sows (they are pig factories..as long as there is a boar around to breed them). What you are left with...is a "broken" sounder consisting of a mixture of younger sows and shoats. These can be trapped in large numbers, or shot out over a period of time.

Of course, a new group will come in and replace/displace what is left. Then the cycle starts all over again. But the object is to start at the top (remove the oldest smartest, most elusive first), then work your way down.

Just wading into the group...blasting, will result in a few pigs on the ground, but will educate the ENTIRE GROUP and only make them spooky.

Add to that.....the litigious society we now live in....and you'll find precious few rancher/farmers that will allow strangers onto their property for any reason (let alone to shoot at hogs).

Folks who hunt hogs "poorly" do more harm than good, you must be patient and outsmart them. They are extremely intelligent animals and "learn" faster than anything else I can think of that roams the woods...."
Black Widow PSAX Bocote 57# @28, 58 AMO
Black Widow PLX Tiger Myrtle 60# @28, 64 AMO
J.D. Berry Osage Argos 60# @28, 66 AMO

Offline deadpool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2009, 12:23:00 AM »
I wish I can join you guys!

Offline Steve71

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2009, 12:47:00 AM »
I everyone aound wants get rid of them but I on the other handlike having something to shoot at all year.

Offline Billy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2009, 12:47:00 AM »
IS there a truckstop close by....I'm thinkin' this sounds like fun!!
I'll even climb up on a hurricane deck to help with the chores, or I can twist a mean wire patch if needed...OH, and I'd be willing to help with the piggies too!!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Taker of the Founders Red Pill

Offline fido dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2009, 01:07:00 AM »
I'm new here, but would love to come and try out the skills I've been learning. I live in Odessa.

Can I come?
A politician who acts foolishly may NOT be acting!

Offline razorsharptokill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2009, 01:26:00 AM »
That's 296 miles from me. I have lots of arrows!
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
Oklahoma Army National Guard 88-89
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
Oklahoma Air National Guard 2002- present. Operation Iraqi Freedom 2005(Qatar) and 2007(Iraq),
Operation New Dawn Iraq 2011,
Operation Enduring Freedom 2018 Afghanistan.
NRA Life Member.

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2009, 01:42:00 AM »
Watch out for the invasion from north of the Red River! We Okies can always find some arrows that need to be polished with pork innards! I want to come too!!!!

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2009, 05:47:00 AM »
Heck Steve, I will be there (Texas) the entire month of November and would be glad to hunt with you. Just tell me when and where.

Danny
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline Steve71

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2009, 01:24:00 PM »
Hey guys this was removed for a little while so they could make sure everything was on the up and up.I will talk to my dad and brother tomorrow and figure out a date and how many we can host. This is a FREE hunt there wll be no charge for anything(lodging,hunting,kill fees nothing).We will have to figure out the food .I love to cook in dutch ovens so I may buy all the food and we can split the cost mong us.

Offline NightHawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2009, 01:29:00 PM »
depending on when it is, I'm in?? I live south of Indy so if anyone is close that wants to ride share maybe we could come up with something
1) Gen. 21:20
And God was with the lad, he grew, and he dwelt in the wilderness, and he became an archer
2)The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2009, 01:32:00 PM »
Originally posted by NightHawk:
depending on when it is I'm in??
Same here, I will help in any way I can, but I definatly want to be there.  

Thanks
Jake
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2009, 01:36:00 PM »
need someone to swing by my place and pick me up to...not to far outta the way?
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

Offline Bear Heart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2009, 01:42:00 PM »
Steve, finding a cheap arrow might depend on your poundage and type of bow.  What are you shooting.
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad
"Memories before merchandise!"

Offline yamaharider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2009, 01:48:00 PM »
Please count me in,  I too would help in cost.   Over&Under and I could share fuel cost from Colorado.
Thanks
PSAV

"The older I get, the better I was"

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2009, 01:52:00 PM »
When would this hunt take place? I could be out in a day and a half! Never killed a pig.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©