3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What are things you don't want to hear from a outfitter when booking a hunt  (Read 849 times)

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What are things you don't want to hear from a outfitter when booking a hunt
« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2009, 08:40:00 PM »

Offline BigArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2009, 10:54:00 PM »
I agree with get a list of references and call.  One outfitter promised next year for half price if we don't get an opportunity.  Why would I go back if no Moose?

Booked with an outfitter that was recommended by an archery shop.  Turned out they were in cahoots.  Outfitter knew all the right answers.
Rode around in a squeeky truck all week. Guide a heavy smoker too.

should have called other references.

BigArcher

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2009, 08:00:00 AM »
Killdeer,
You are killing me.That's what I'm looking 4 in a answer.I know the reference check and all but some outfitters will let you know right away you could be in trouble.What are the things that tip you off that this oufitter isn't the hunt for you.

Offline Rick McGowan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2009, 08:26:00 AM »
Wingnut, nope, I never had one turn on me for making constructive critism, I have had some thank me for pointing things out that nobody had, before and I know some changes have been made based on things I said. One good indicator of an outfitter is how much REPEAT business they get.

Offline NightHawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2009, 12:05:00 PM »
I need all the money when you book the hunt. That's a red flag for me, because if he goes out of buisness before the hunt, then I'm out of all my money.
1) Gen. 21:20
And God was with the lad, he grew, and he dwelt in the wilderness, and he became an archer
2)The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline crossstickspro

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: February 17, 2009, 03:41:00 PM »
After working for a cirtain outfitter around  the san antonio area, you basically dont know untill you show or hint gratuity to your guide (The green horn staying in camp with you)After all he is gonna be the ultimate reason for succes or lack there of... the green horn knows the animals more than the guys at the show.
Larrymc
Crossstickspro, Not my name ... more of a goal

Offline ewilson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: February 19, 2009, 07:04:00 PM »
My family has  a hunting ranch in southern MO that has been in operation for 8 years now. We go to a couple of shows a year for a vacation of sorts, if I had a buck for every guy who turned his nose after being told that we can't guarentee him a deer/turkey {afer all we can't shoot it for them}. We probably would not have to worry about bookings!
Eric Wilson

Offline [email protected]

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2009, 08:13:00 PM »
If you are booking a hunt where riding horse back is required, be CERTAIN that the outfitter keeps his lifestock all year long.

Some places just rent horses they need for the season.  I suppose there are other things more deadly than a rented horse...and when I think of them I will be sure to let you know.

Want to know who is riding the best trailwise horse?  Ask the guide to swap horses for the day and judge his response.

A "rodeo" (as the guides quaintly call such an event on the trail)is no fun.

Also a good idea to get a muscle relaxant drug to loosen up the thighs.

Bob
Beware of all enterprises that require a new suit.

Don't give up what you want most for what you want now.

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
TTT
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
The outfitter that I work for has pretty much stopped going to shows because it is not cost efficient in tough times...he prefers instead to drop the price of his hunts and let word of mouth be his advertising...so the one thing I would not want to hear is "sorry, I do not have the contact information from a variety of satisfied clients"

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
"Sorry, but I just don't know when the moose start to rut around here...and besides, I never tried to call one."
Lon Scott

Offline Daz

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
In BC guides are licensed. Ask the outfitter if you are going out with a guide or a guide's assistant (both are licensed, but the one is still apprenticing).
If the guides are not registered, report them.

Ask the outfitter if they are registered with GOABC (Guide Outfitter's Association of BC). Not a guarantee, but as a self-regulating organization they do fairly well at weeding out the under-achievers.

The flip side in coming to BC is be honest with your outfitter about your physical conditioning. Don't sign up for a remote sheep hunt and then arrive unable to make it to the first bench (with 2500' more to go).

Even spot and stalk bears here can involve a lot of hustle to gain elevation. There are no 'easy' hunts here.
Less anger, more troubleshooting...

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
Talking to a South Africa outfitter, he told me they were seeing quite a few black mambas recently. Said the best thing to do if bitten by a black mamba is to immediately get in the cool shade. He said I would die just as fast, but wouldn't start to stink as soon.

Turns out he heard me talking to another outfitter that I knew and I admitted I had a bit of a phobia about snakes. He thought it was pretty funny, but it turned me off a bit.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
Overbo, you mean once you arrive for the hunt?

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
Some good funny stuff here.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline blackpenny

• Trad Bowhunter
The price!
Leon Stewart lil slammer 56" 45@28
Martin Howatt Hunter 64" 50@28

Online ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
....Your how old....????!!!!!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline tradspirit

• Trad Bowhunter
Three of my buddies and I booked a guided Maine Bear hunt some years ago with a prominent and well known service.  Much research and many reference calls were made.  Most of the responses were positive based on the success rate that the service had.  We mailed our respective deposits and when we drove into camp, there were 15 other vehicles there and no one from the service was available.  When one of the guides finally appeared after some folks had waited for hours, the first thing that was done was to pass the hat for the remainder of the monies due.  Something that I understood had to be done, but it was extremely detached and matter of fact.  We later found out that there were only 2 guides for 22 hunters (one bow and ther rest gun).  We were told to scope our rifles and site them in for 50 yards.  They eventually put us on the only active baits that happened to be 20 yd archery stands.  Off came our scopes and we had to resight our rifles.  One of my buddies had no front site on his rifle and he had to sight it in using the barrel. There were no tracking dogs on the property (despite that being one of the supposed advantages), and the owner that we communicated with never showed up in the 10 day period we hunted.  The guide assigned to us had us follow him to the bait sites (about 10 miles from the base camp), but unfortunately he lost us in a cloud of dust as a result of his high speed over the heavily rutted logging trails.  I had a new vehicle and could not afford to destroy the vehicle trying to keep up.  We had to turn back and head back about 5 miles to the main camp to discover that our guide was already back and having a brew.  He never attempted to find us after he lost us, nor was he concerned that we had never seen the stands.  We almost had to force him to go back out with us. We all got out bears and enjoyed cooking for ourselves, but when one of my buddy's bears couldn't be found, the guides refused to go back out with us to track him, so about 8 of the other hunters got together with us and we tracked the bear and brought it back that night.  I would never book with them again despite our success.  A guided hunt is not just about the kill.

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
there will be mixed weapons in camp! run when you hear that one!
Make a life, not a living

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
THE ONLY  guided hunt I've ever been on was with Tarponnut here on tradgang for hogs.

I hate going guided.  I like all DIY and would eat tags all day for the most part. I happened to be nearby for work and I don't have access to wild hogs...so what the heck!

He was flexible, knowledgeable, worked to make my hunt a successful experience, and we had a great time.  I blew chances and that all I can ask, for a fairchase hunt where it was really up to me.  There are few species of animals I would consider a guide for and I had so much fun I'm doing it again this winter.  

A service seems like a good way to get quality too.
Unguided hunts are enjoyable to me because I feel like I did it myself and worked to achieve something.  I have a hard time just tagging along for the shot. I do realize sometimes there isn't a choice.

I'm considering bears here in MI next year, but that seems to be a tough one to get a handle on.  Too many bad reports to get excited about.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©