3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Fletch tape Problems  (Read 299 times)

Offline MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
Fletch tape Problems
« on: February 14, 2009, 03:42:00 PM »
I am having problems using fletch tape recently. It sticks to the shaft fine but some of the feathers are letting go after a while. Reworked  serveral and some are letting loose again. Any suggestions on how to make the feathers stick better?
 Thanks in advance.....Mike
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Offline RightTrailWrongTime

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Fletch tape Problems
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2009, 03:46:00 PM »
Never had that problem- after you remove them from the clamp are you running your finger over them? Occasionally I'll add a drop of glue on the fronts and backs but most of my arrows I just use the tape alone and have had one come off in about 5 years.
ONLY IN THE WOODS AND FIELDS DO I FEEL ALIVE, LIKE A HUNTER FROM TIMES PAST, ALTHOUGH THE HISS OF MY ARROW GOES FORTH, I AM TAKEN BACK, IT IS MY ESCAPE...

Offline MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2009, 03:54:00 PM »
Yep, I press them down. The last ones I did I took a rounded knife handle and really rubbed the tape onto the feather while still in the clamp.A couple of those are coming loose.
They usually start to come loose in the middle not the ends. Looks like the feather is expanding and pops up in the middle.
 So no prep to the feather?
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Offline RightTrailWrongTime

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2009, 04:05:00 PM »
Be careful not to stretch the tape while in the clamp applying to the feather. I run my finger on them in the clamp and after they are applied to the shaft. Sorry I don't know what else it would be, I've used the stuff for a long time and have not had any issues, I guess I've been lucky.
ONLY IN THE WOODS AND FIELDS DO I FEEL ALIVE, LIKE A HUNTER FROM TIMES PAST, ALTHOUGH THE HISS OF MY ARROW GOES FORTH, I AM TAKEN BACK, IT IS MY ESCAPE...

Offline Trad Lad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2009, 04:11:00 PM »
MIke,
I have had that very problem. It got so bad I gave up the tape. I know it is used by professionals so maybe it is something I am doing wrong. It never lets go right away but two, three months later it lets go big time.
Maybe it is oil in my hands.
Just understand your not alone.
Pip
Richard "Pip" Pippenger

Offline crookedwoody

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2009, 04:13:00 PM »
i had some trouble wiyh carbons.use some alcohol on shafts before appling feathers.seems to clean off dust or residue.i also run finger down them after they are on,and drop of glue at the ends.no troubles....chris

Offline hawgslayer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2009, 05:13:00 PM »
:campfire:  
Wish I had the answer for you gents. I've been using fletch tape for a few years now on my practice and hunting arrows and haven't had one feather come off, even after the arrows have passed thru deer.I would think that the problem is when your putting the tape on the base of the feather. Don't stretch the tape. As I put the tape on the feather, bottom first, I run my nail over the tape I just stuck on the base of the feather. I only unroll about an inch of tape before I push down with my nail. When I completely cover the base, I run my finger nail a few times up and down the base while the feather is still in the clamp. Once I stick the feather to the shaft, I push down on the feather itself a few times and then I add a drop of glue at each end.
Hope the info helps!!!!!
HAWGSLAYER

07 BOB LEE HUNTER 49#'S
09 MARTIN 48#'s
CVA ACCURA 50 CAL.
BL/STAINLESS
SEMPER FI

Keep your feathers dry and your nose in the wind and become the predator that we really are.

Offline foxbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2009, 05:38:00 PM »
I tried the tape once a few years ago. I left the arrows in a backquiver. When I decided to shoot with that setup again, maybe a couple weeks or so, the weight of the arrows had pressed against each other and the fletches were all bent over and had actually moved on the shaft. It turned into a mess for me and my son. For that reason, I won't use the tape again.
N/A

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2009, 05:43:00 PM »
Make sure you are not getting oils from your hand on the quill, I use basically the same method as hawgslayer.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2009, 06:11:00 PM »
Pip, sounds like exactly the same problem that I have sometimes 2/3 months and then some feathers will let go. I dont think I am stretching the tape while applying it, but maybe I do..sometimes. Hate that you have the same problem but glad I am not the only one that cant do it right.
 I always try not to touch the base of the feathers with my hands. Tape sticks to the shaft fine really hard to get off the shaft.
Thanks....Mike
 Aldo Leopold

Offline pete Darby @ home

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2009, 06:12:00 PM »
I use like hawgslayer and have no problem, in fact even after a few months of sitting in the back yard (broken) the feathers are still on just fine.  Perhaps wiping the shafts down with alcohol might ensure there is nothing on the tape.  I assume you are using the red tape.  I found some white tape once at a compound shop and it just didn't work.
Peter Darby

Offline Leland

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2009, 06:18:00 PM »
I love fletch tape.The only time I've had it lift was after spraying the feathers with a water repeller.I don't care for the powder,so I don't use anything on the feathers.The tape holds up just fine now.

Leland

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2009, 06:28:00 PM »
I have had a bad roll of tape years ago, It wasn't bohning brand.
The next name brand roll was just fine.
I'm not in a hurry any more so I prefer glue.
Ron
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Offline metsastaja

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2009, 06:33:00 PM »
Could it be the feathers themselves and not the tape. Perhaps something got on them or storage area too humid.

I have had no problems with the tape.
Les Heilakka
TGMM Family of the Bow  
Some times the uneventful nights are just as good if not better than the eventful ones

Offline Ssamac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2009, 07:01:00 PM »
I use the tape and glue both> I find the tape keeps the feathers on better. I also put a dot of glue on the front and back of each feather, press the tape to feather and then run the back of a small knife along the base of the feather after taking from the clamp. No problem

What kind of finish are you using on the shaft? Is it a wood shaft? I had some arrows I got on the St. Jude's auction once and they had a high gloss finish so bad that I could not get feathers to stick with glue or tape. Even used the platinum glue and let the sit half hour each feather. When the arrows first arrived the fletches were half off already. Could be the finish. Sand them a little, clean with alcohol, and keep the tape totally clean. Good luck
sam

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2009, 08:34:00 PM »
Raising in the middle may be caused from your jig setting.  It may not be getting the feathers lined up right on the shaft.  Something to check anyhow.  

I've never had feathers come loose with fletch tape. I do think the Bohning tape is a step above the other brands.
"The old ways will work in the future, but the new ways have never worked in the past."

Offline dino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2009, 08:56:00 PM »
What feathers are you using?  Trueflight, gateway, amg?  Very curious problem.  I've had the tape lift from the shaft and had feathers drift after fletching but never have had the tape lift from the feather.  Wonder if it is the fletch. dino
"The most demanding thing you can ask of a piece of wood is for it to become an arrow shaft. You reduce it to the smallest of dimension yet ask it to remain it's strongest, straightest and most durable." Bill Sweetland

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2009, 08:59:00 PM »
Maybe it's the feathers?Are they old?Maybe try some fresh ones if they are.Perhaphs you got a bad lot# of tape.I say that because others have had the same problem.I haven't had any issues with the tape that weren't caused by me.
>>>>--TGMM family of the bow--->

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2009, 09:51:00 PM »
I have had the center of the feather, between the fletch tape and the arrow, raise when fletching over wraps, numerous times.  I started putting a dab of glue (super glue) on one side, at the center of the feather, as well as the ends and haven't had any problems since.  This also stopped the sliding/movement of that I had with some feathers.  If it wasn't for the fumes. I would go back to using glue only.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline sagebrush

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2009, 10:46:00 PM »
I tried the tape when it first came out and couldn't get it to stick so I gave it up. When I glue feathers on they stay on. I have to cut them off. Gary

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©