3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Thunder Mtn. 'Coachwhip' TD longbow...info?  (Read 233 times)

Offline TSP

• Trad Bowhunter
Thunder Mtn. 'Coachwhip' TD longbow...info?
« on: February 14, 2009, 10:16:00 PM »
Anyone have any information about these bows?  They are a 2-piece sleeved bow with R/D limb design made by a bowyer named Jerry Barr.  Wondering about the quality/performance/etc.

Online Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Thunder Mtn. 'Coachwhip' TD longbow...info?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2009, 10:30:00 PM »
If you are talking about the one on **** I owned that one for a couple of weeks.  I also own one of Jerry's Lobo's.  He is one heck of a bowyer, and an even better guy.  He no longer builds bows, but lives only a few miles from me and has a great reputation around these parts.  My dad has had a couple of his bows as well.  

The only reason I sold the bow on **** is that it was a bit long and a little light for me.  It shot great, smooth no shock and the TD system was a nice fit.

I would put his bows (the ones I have had) up against any, they are reall nice, great craftsmanship, and shoot just as good.

JMO

Jake
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline TSP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2009, 11:12:00 PM »
Well I'm real pleased to make your acquaintance, Jake, I just bought your bow, lol!    :D    

I have been looking pretty hard for an affordable 2-piece longbow for deerhunting with my mountainbike or kayak and the specs on that Coachwhip look good...it should pack in easy, its got no tools or screws to lose in the dark, the weight should work fine for my bum shoulder and it didn't break the bank too badly.  Any info you can provide (riser and limbwoods, string length and type, brace height, etc.) will be much-appreciated.  

Thanks, I can't wait to try it out.  My bow search is finally over!  At least for awhile, anyway...  :)

PS  Just one curiosity question...how come the bow is in Canada but you aren't, lol.

Online Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2009, 11:19:00 PM »
Nice to meet you as well!

If I remember correctly the limbs were elm and it had some red and white phenolic overlays on it, but not sure about the riser wood as I was not the original owner.  I have always shot about 7.5" brace on Jerry's bows. and they seem to be pretty quiet that way.  His bows were FF compatible, and I shoot a 10 to 12 strand string.

Best of luck with it, and hope it serves you well.  

Be sure to show pics when you get it!!

Jake
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2009, 08:13:00 AM »
I don't have a Coachwhip but have one of the first Coyote's,it says Proto #4 on the riser.The T/D was an option.I believe there is a new onwer making these bows now.The Coyote was a flatbow and the Coachwhip had alittle deeper core and was longer like a longbow.
 http://www.tmbows.com

Offline TSP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2009, 08:21:00 AM »
Thanks for the bow info, Jake.  Actually I owned a Thunder Mtn. for a short while some years back but it wasn't a Coachwhip, can't remember what the model was.  The weight was low 50's and it shot well but had a more 'bulbous' grip (it reminded me of the old LAG Widows) that I didn't like so I sold it.  That's the only Thunder Mtn. bow I've ever seen.  The sleeved grip on the Coachwhip looks much straighter, more like a dished-grip Howard Hill which I also own and like alot.  From your ad pics the limb tips are good and rugged, perfect for hard use.  It'll be interesting to see how it feels and performs.  Yup, will post a pic or two when it comes.

Offline TSP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2009, 08:29:00 AM »
JRY309 thanks, I'll take a look at that website.  Not sure how old this Coachwhip is but hope you're right about having the deeper core design.  I like Howard Hill-like grips.  But, from Jake's  pics the limbs are more like a flatbow and have alot of R/D in them.  Its 64" and about 47#-48# at my draw, should be nice and smooth.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©