3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 2 fletched arrows; ever try it?  (Read 844 times)

Offline Mike Mecredy

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
2 fletched arrows; ever try it?
« on: February 15, 2009, 08:57:00 PM »
Sunday is my day for going to Church, taking it easy, and doing a little goofing off and testing.  Today, I decided to get some arrows done I'd been working on.  They're 11/32 poplar, I cut them from a board, at 3/8"  squares, milled them to 3/8" dowels, them sanded them to 11/32 shafts.  I stained them with some cherry stain / sealer and coated them with clear acylic. They ended up right under 390 gr. with out nocks points or feathers. Put some 125 gr points on and some nocks and I made a 4 1/2" long 3/4" high, banana shapped feather cutter and decided try  2 fletched configuration.  I attached the feathers in such a way that when the arrow is nocked there's  a low one in the bottom inside against the bow and 180 dgrees off the other is in the upper left side. The are slightly right helical'd. I shot the arrows from a english styled bamboo backed longbow, 45# @ 28" and a 44 # @ 28" 58" recurve with a center cut shelf.  They few exactly the same from both bows even though the longbow had no shelf cut into the handle. A little faster from the recurve though.  This is the first time I tried using feathers like that and I was extremely inpressed.   It might be the shape of the feathers being so high or the helical spin. What ever it is I'm going to mess with a bit more.
TGMM Family of the bow
USAF, Retired
A.C.B.C.S.

Offline northland archer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 2 fletched arrows; ever try it?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2009, 09:06:00 PM »
I have made several like that.  Had to play around with the placement, but they shoot great.  I shoot mine from two different NorthernMist longbows, and had my first robin hood with them.  Saves on fletching also.  Good to hear i am not alone.  Shoot straight

Treavor
Teach a child about Christ...then the bow.

Offline trapperDave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2009, 09:37:00 PM »
I have several like that as well. Used one to take my 10 pt buck last October  ;)

Offline Jim now in Kentucky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2009, 10:44:00 PM »
I noticed a long time ago that if I lose a feather from my straight fletched arrows they fly pretty much as well with the two remaining ones.

Reminds me of a Beechcraft Bonanza, I think it was, that had that V tail instead of the vertical and horizontal stabilizers. It flew great too.

Reparrow man
"Reparrows save arrows!"

"But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he that cometh to God must believe that he is and that He is a rewarder of them that diligently seek Him." Hebrews 11:6

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2009, 11:44:00 PM »
These are 3  two fletched arrows I made this past season. One is a Cherokee style with the feathers cut down a bit. The other is also a Cherokee style with a banana burned fletch. and the one on the right is my hybrid 2 fletch on one of my hunting arrows. These simple fletching styles fly very well and look cool also.

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Billy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2009, 11:48:00 PM »
I use two fletch (5x180)

Use them on GT and 11/32 cedar.

I like'm. They always start a conversation!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Taker of the Founders Red Pill

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2009, 12:28:00 AM »
...and I usually put 180deg of helical in the 2 fletch.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Traxx

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2009, 02:40:00 AM »
Gordy Mickens and Jim Neaves have been usein em fer yrs.They turned me on to em.Made my best and longest shot on game,with a 2 fletched arrow.
Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye. Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark.

Offline LKH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2009, 02:52:00 AM »
I agree w/Jim in Maine.  I'm currently using two 2 fletched arrows.  They didn't start that way, but I haven't got around to fixing them and they fly great.  They may actually work better by not being on opposite sides of the shaft.

Offline cadillac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2009, 05:35:00 AM »
At what degree do you glue the feathers on a two fletch?

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2009, 06:08:00 AM »
Like Traxx, Gordy showed this to me about 6-8 yrs ago. Two fletched and footed carbons are tuff arrows. I did find that you need to play with the positioning, when you get it right they fly great. Plan to use them on a turkey this spring.
   Two Tracks
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline doctari

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2009, 07:41:00 AM »
After reading this I decided to make one and give it a try. Wow I was impressed, I chopped a five and half inch bannana feather and used my four fletch JO-JAN fletcher. If you look down the shaft as the arrow would be positioned on your bow, The fletching's are at 1 o'clock and seven o'clock. I would presume that this would be ideal for a two blade broadhead position the same as the fletching and will have to try this. I shoot three fingers under and was drilling the bulls eye.
"So long as the new moon returns in heavan a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold the hearts of men."   Maurice Thompson The Witchery of Archery

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2009, 09:22:00 AM »
Guys, here is another rarely used option with feathers that most folks discard are used for a simple 3 fletch. This is called a tangential fletch and a common Native American style. These feathers are smaller (about 4" to 5" total)goose wing feathers. They are tied below the nock and at the forward end only. Laid straight with the shaft they have a natural helical and fly quite well but with a bit of helical added they fly very well.
   I set these pics up for demonstration only so I wasn't very neat with it.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2009, 10:55:00 AM »
This is a tangential fletched arrow I got from James Parker(huntworthyproductions.com). His is a bit neater than mine.  

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Mike Mecredy

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2009, 01:08:00 PM »
Wow, I never knew it was at all popular.  

Pat those are some cool looking arrows you got there.
TGMM Family of the bow
USAF, Retired
A.C.B.C.S.

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2009, 02:17:00 PM »
Has anyone determined the decidedly better way to fletch with two feathers? Is it 1 o'clock and 7 o'clock OR 11 o'clock and 5 o'clock?   :confused:  

Yeah, I know I could test it myself but figured one of you guys had already saved me the time and effort.   :bigsmyl:
Lon Scott

Offline Don Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2009, 03:06:00 PM »
Seems to me that 1 & 7 o'clock would be better because as the arrow is going through paradox, you might gain a smidge more clearance at the shelf as opposed to 5 & 11 o'clock, imho.
Don

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2009, 03:23:00 PM »
I guess it would depend on the rotation of your shaft. Right or left. I shoot mostly hardwood shoot arrows or cane arrows and their natural taper helps the arrow clear the bow. But, like any fletching, if your arrow is tuned correctly, it shouldn't touch the bow once you release it.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline PAINTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2009, 04:38:00 PM »
I've been using 2 fletched arrows (5" shields) for a while and find them to fly as well as 3 fletched.  I align the fletching at 9 & 3 o'clock.  I have always heard and found that arrows will shoot equally well with cock feather in or out and since I use the cock feather on the tip of my nose as part of my anchor, I have proceeded thus.  Arrows fly great, I tear up less feathers, I use less feathers and I can fletch in 1/3 the time.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2009, 05:00:00 PM »
Great looking arrows Pat.

Last year Pat sent me 2 primitive arrows, 1 had 2 fletch on a river cain shaft. Thanx again for the arrow Pat.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©