3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wanted: Help/suggestions finding the best recurve  (Read 507 times)

Offline TexasStick81

• Trad Bowhunter
Wanted: Help/suggestions finding the best recurve
« on: February 16, 2009, 02:43:00 PM »
Hey Guys,

You might have already seen my posts about the Horne's Brush bow with recurve limbs, but I don't want to limit myself to soon.  What other recurves would you suggest?  I love the slender handle and the T/D that is not "bulky."  I live in the Dallas/Ft Worth Area, if you happen to have a Sarrels, Great Plains, Cari-Bow, or other bow and live in the area, if you wouldn't mind me shooting one please let me know.  Thanks for the help.
Centaur Triple Carbon 60" 55@29

"Only that day dawns to which we are awake"

Offline shortstroke 91

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wanted: Help/suggestions finding the best recurve
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 02:56:00 PM »
I live in Rowlett, just got a Quinn Stallion. Black handle and bubinga limbs. The aluminum riser does add some weight but it allows the handle to be very small, similar to a rebel if you've ever laid your hands on one of those. It is without a doubt the most smooth drawing bow I've ever shot, quick and fairly quiet. The whole thing shipped was less than $300. She's #45 @ 28", if you'd like to call my # is 972 412 6790. Maybe we can shoot some together, where abouts are you located?.
Brandon
shortstroke 91
TBOT Life Member

"BLOOD MAKES THE GRASS GROW"

Offline fatman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 03:18:00 PM »
Call Dryad Bows, they're in Weatherford....I'm sure they would arrange a test flight for you.....  :readit:
"Better to have that thing and not need it, than to need it and not have it"
Woodrow F. Call

Commitment is like bacon & eggs; the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed....

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 04:53:00 PM »
:campfire:  Here we go. Get the popcorn ready.
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline R H Clark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2009, 10:00:00 PM »
If this is your first bow don't spend too much or get something that is a good used deal so you can trade without a loss.Chances are high that you will own something different soon.

The problem with a first bow is that you don't even know yet what you like.It will take time shooting a lot of different bows to be able to appreciate the differences and learn what you like and don't like,and everyone is different so it's hard to give good advice.

When I started I thought I wanted a slim riser one piece recurve because it was light and quick pointing and no worry about different limbs.After several different bows I now shoot a heavy riser ILF bow because I shoot them better than anything else.It took a lot of shooting before I could even shoot well enough to know the difference between bows.

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2009, 11:41:00 AM »
Had a friend who got one of the Horne's and did not like it; returned it at a loss just to get rid of it.  His opinion of the bow:  too light, drew "hard," although it was fast, and very loud.  This is not intended to criticize Horne bows, as many people love them, but to point out that you need to shoot any bow you are considering before investing your hard earned $$$ on it.  Sometimes (many times), bows do not impress you in person the way they did in pics, or in the minds of the people who recommended them!  I think R.H. gives good advice: if this is a first bow, don't expect the journey to end here.  Good luck, Paul.
“Sometimes the shark go away, sometimes he wouldn’t go away.” Quint, from Jaws

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2009, 04:43:00 PM »
Sweptwing is nice recurve from Texas!   :thumbsup:
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2009, 05:00:00 PM »
If you can find a trad bow shoot in your area; I suggest you go there. I have always found people willing to help you find the bow you want. Holding and shooting a bow sure beats deciding from pictures! And everyone here has a favorite type of bow; probably not because it has something over another bow....other than THEY really like to shoot it.

I have been in competitions where I traded bow and arrows with others while competing; just to see how each others bow shot; or just borrowed an arrow to see how it shot.

I think going out and meeting some trad folks; and shooting some bows with proper arrow set ups all done for you - will give you a good picture of what you want --- better than any other way to do it.

hmmmmmm... Texas memories ... Air Force... Vietnam era-- that Pearl and Lone Star beer: tasted mighty good  :)
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline texophilite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2009, 05:09:00 PM »
We have a shoot this weekend in Denton. Web page dentoncountyarchers.com. There should be a decent cross section here.
LTH

Offline TomMcDonald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2009, 05:23:00 PM »
If you like lack of bulk, go with the Orion. Go. Go. Quick.

Offline MikeW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2009, 05:58:00 PM »
I'll second Diamond Paul's comments, I've shot quite a few high end bows and bows others rave about that I didn't like at all. Get your hands on as many as you can before you spend your money.

I should be at the Denton shoot(going to try real hard anyways)and have a Blacktail recurve you are more than welcome to try. I'll be the guy with a pretty bow and a prettier Asian girlfriend. She has a Maddog you can try also.
   :wavey:
Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils.

Offline KrEn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2009, 06:38:00 PM »
it was fast, and very loud.
I have a Horne Hunter Recurve, selling it to get a Morrison ILF riser.
The Horne however is super fast, very accurate for me, and dead, dead quiet. You MUST play with brace heigth, it sounds like a pistol @ some brace heights. W/ wool puffs on and wool around string where it contacts the limbs, it is simply, quiet.

"Best Recurve" was the question! I would be inclined to say:
Go ILF, A Morrison riser and Samick Masters or W&W Winex limbs would be extremely hard, if at all possible, to beat for speed. W Bobs limbs it would fast, accurate AND a beauty., Then theres Border Hex V limbs, and the new Border ILF risers, whick look almost as good as Bob Morrisons.
Or a Border Black Douglas and Hex V limbs...

Ask any FITA competition archer and the limb answer would be as over, maybe w Hoyt 990CX limbs in there and W&W InnoPower, but still Border Hex Vs, and any number of large machined aluminium  risers .

K
-You see something, just whack it"

Offline Bob L.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2009, 09:01:00 PM »
I have a Toelke TD Recurve with Bubinga Riser. Very light, slim design, not bulky at all. Everyone can't get over how light it is for a take down. I think the lightness is from the Bubinga. Had to play with the Brace height but got it quiet and its plenty fast.

http://s491.photobucket.com/albums/rr272/boblamonte/?action=view¤t=bowstrung1.jpg" target="_blank">http://i491.photobucket.com/albums/rr272/boblamonte/bowstrung1.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket">

http://s491.photobucket.com/albums/rr272/boblamonte/?action=view¤t=bowstrung2.jpg" target="_blank">http://i491.photobucket.com/albums/rr272/boblamonte/bowstrung2.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket">

Offline Bob L.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2009, 09:03:00 PM »
Sorry try this

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2009, 11:28:00 PM »
KrEn: I didn't mean to be negative about Horne bows, only passing along something that my friend experienced as a point to think about.  I was trying to say that any bow can be the best or worst bow for you, but you'll only know that by trying it yourself.  I think most established bowyers make a good bow, but I don't like them all equally, and have junked many that others regarded as treasures.  Also, many bows from the same bowyer vary quite a bit, so don't necessarily expect to like the one he builds you as much as you did the one he built your buddy!  Paul.
“Sometimes the shark go away, sometimes he wouldn’t go away.” Quint, from Jaws

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2009, 07:39:00 AM »
Yeah.....no one can tell YOU what recuve is best for  YOU but YOU.

You need to shoot a few and see what fits ya.  Just because someone recommends one, or recommends against one really don't mean squat.  You will have to find out for yourself.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline slivrslingr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2009, 08:25:00 AM »
Yup, Terry nailed it.  Shoot as many different bows as you can and see what works best for you.  All bows and shooters are different so no one but you can decide what is best.  Enjoy the journey!

Offline WildmanSC

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2009, 09:26:00 AM »
You can cut the journey down somewhat by going to some shoots as others have recommended.  My journey has taken me through somewhere around 90 bows over the past 8 years or so.  Hopefully, I've found the three or four or five bows I'll be sticking with.  My top three favorites in recurves are Dale Dye, Dale Stahl and Marriah Thermal (Ric Anderson).

Bill
TGMM Family of the Bow

-----------------------------------
Groves Flame Recurve 62", 45#@28"

Praise the Lord Jesus Christ, He is Worthy

Offline Precurve

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2009, 07:20:00 PM »
We live in a great time...at least in terms of a high quality selection of great performing bows to choose from.  If you're patient and do your homework you can't really go wrong; you will find a great bow!

Offline TexasStick81

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2009, 10:12:00 PM »
Thanks so much for all the feedback guys.  I think I'm going to try and get out to one or both shoots in denton this weekend and ft worth next. Thanks again.
Centaur Triple Carbon 60" 55@29

"Only that day dawns to which we are awake"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©