3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What exercises for building bow pulling muscles?  (Read 702 times)

Offline david janssen

• Trad Bowhunter
What exercises for building bow pulling muscles?
« on: February 14, 2009, 08:23:00 PM »
I wasn't sure how to post this,but I'm looking for exercises to build strength for pulling more poundage.

Thanks for the advice,
David
David Janssen

Offline mooseman76

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What exercises for building bow pulling muscles?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2009, 08:30:00 PM »
Best exercise, in my opinion, is to get a heavy bow and pull it and pull it and pull it...

Other than that work your upper/mid back (rows, pullups, etc...) rear delts (bent over lateral raises, etc...)  and keep your rotator cuffs strong (internal/external rotation)...Mike

Offline buckhuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2009, 08:46:00 PM »
I like DB rows, lat pull down, pull ups, row machine and one that I don't have a name for..  

I will do my best to describe it...  I use an adjustable cable cross over machine to simulate drawing a bow back by planting my left hand on a stationary post (a leg extension machine next to the cable machine) about 2 feet from the pulley.  I start out with my right hand next to my left and pull it all the way back to my anchor point and hold it just as if I am drawing a bow back.  I then repeat this for my other arm.  This has been the best exercise for me as I have found it works the same muscles you use when shooting since it is the same motion.  Is there a name for this I don't know about?

This link has some good info about staying fit in general   Bowhunting fitness exercises

Offline SOS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2009, 10:58:00 PM »
Best thing I found was the bent over rowing, for lack of a real name.  Bend over 90 degrees (parallel to the ground) - support yourself on a chair back if you like, then pull a 20 pound dumbell straight up to your shoulder.  Moderate weight with lot of reps works strength and flexibility.  Don't forget to do your bow arm as well.

Offline nd chickenman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2009, 11:13:00 PM »
I take the tubing that the chiropactor uses for rehab and make a couple of wraps around the riser to the string. Make sure you hold on the ends real tight. You can add more weight with more wraps. Could get up to 100 lbs with my heavy limbs on.

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2009, 11:16:00 PM »
Push ups and pull ups. Simple, cheap and easy on the body.  :D
Just one more step please!

Some dude with a stick and string chasing things.

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2009, 05:15:00 AM »
I'll second just shooting.
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2009, 05:39:00 AM »
I'll 2nd push ups & pull ups. There are heaps of ways in doing both these exercises are there as cheap as they come, hence the Army loven 'em!

ak.
"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever Seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." Socrates.

Offline Billy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2009, 10:49:00 AM »
Your body weight is all you truly need.

Pull ups,push ups,crunches,reverse situps...
The main thing is STRETCH,before and after.

Remember to strengthen the whole 'shooting system' : arms,torso,back and yes even your eyes can be exercised.

that's my 2 cents.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Taker of the Founders Red Pill

Offline dragon rider

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2009, 11:03:00 AM »
If you like toys (and let's be serious, would you be on this web site if you didn't?), 3 Rivers sells a "Bow Fit" exerciser that's basically tubing with handles.  It's great for both stetching and strengthening - can be used for internal and external rotations for the rotator cuff by anchoring one end and otherwise for about anything you can do with a tubing exerciser, including by using the handles, replicating a bow draw (there are three sizes and by wrapping the tubing you can get almost any weight you need) without any risk to your bow.  

I also like a rowing machine; that works pretty much everything at the same time so you can not only shoot better you can get to someplace to shoot better.
Don't meddle in the affairs of dragons; people are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline D. Devall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2009, 11:14:00 AM »
im a football player and a powerlifter that spends 3 or 4 hours a day in a weight room, so i can actually help here, lol. basicly what everyone els said, rows, pullups, lat pulldowns and maby some tricep exercises, like skull crushers or tricep extentions.

but i have found that you jist get a hevyer bow and shoot it ALOT and in like a month or less it will feel natural. good luck.

Offline el_kirk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2009, 11:44:00 AM »
I take an old axe handle, tie a rope to the top and bottom, and PULL.

When I can get the thing to full draw then I figure I'm ready to stop exercising.  

Sorry, couldn't resist!

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2009, 12:41:00 PM »
I'm with Arwin on this one.  There are a lot of exercises that will work, but push-ups and pullups (both types of pullups...hands in and hands out) will get you in great shape.

Important to work you body evenly also, so if pulling a bow to get in shape, pull it as much with both hands.

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2009, 12:42:00 PM »
I second the BowFit exercise device. It is cheap, light and compact so you can take it anywhere and use it. You can get a DVD with it that shows you the basic exercises to do. Don't get anything lighter than the Heavy model if you shoot normal poundage bows. For high poundage bows, get the Safari. I have both and take one with me on every trip to maintain strength. They are also good at home. The suggestions by others are good too, except the axe handle routine.    "[dntthnk]"    :)

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2009, 01:23:00 PM »
I like the Australian pullup.You are basically laying on the ground with a bar supported by counter top or chairs etc.Pull yourself up to the bar.You can hold at the top of the rep to simulate holding a bow.Its close to the same motion as pulling a bow is why I like it.You can do quite a few reps as well for endurance or put some weight in a back pack for more resistance.Its also easy on the lower back compared to bent over rows.

Dumbells rows are good becaause of the full range of motion and freedom of movement and different angles you can pull through.

On some seated row machines you can use different attachments that allow you to pull back further and again allowing a fuller range on motion like when pulling a bow where you really crank back pretty far when you are locked in at anchor.

Offline LKH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2009, 02:03:00 PM »
I use leftover therapy bands from my shoulder surgery.  Stick the Knot in the door.  Close door and pull just like a bow.  Plus I can do all sorts of other exercises with them.  Cheap at a therapy place.

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2009, 02:20:00 PM »
Let me add something, whatever you do to one side or shoulder , do to the other, balance. Balance out both sides , keeps everthing where it needs to be. Also there is book called Archery massage, a good massage once or every other  week, when shooting really helps you stay in the game!    :thumbsup:
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2009, 03:25:00 PM »
Any type of exercise mentioned here will make you stronger...but the fact is if you want to get stronger pulling the bow, then you have to exercise that motion to get stronger pulling the bow.  You have to work the muscles needed in the form they will be working.  

Doing push ups will not increase your ability to pull a heavy bow, just like pulling a heavier bow wont allow you to do more push ups.  You must condition the muscles in the motions.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline jrchambers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2009, 05:04:00 PM »
yep

Offline Elksong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2009, 05:13:00 PM »
Sorry but I have to disagree with only training muscles that you "think" are the mucsles used to pull a bow.  You should always train your entire body.  If you want to handle any kind of heavy weight then your whole body needs to be strong, not just your back and arms. YOu need a strong chest program to hold the bow steady. You need strong legs for a solid base, the Korean archers are not even allowed to pick up a bow until they can lift a certain amount of weight with thier legs.
Also if you just train a certain part of you body you will become un-balanced and create problems in the areas you do not train.
What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit, for whatever happens to the beasts also happens to man. All things are connected. Whatever befalls the earth befalls the children of the earth

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©