3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Confused on ,point weights??  (Read 382 times)

Offline yekrut

• Trad Bowhunter
Confused on ,point weights??
« on: February 16, 2009, 08:36:00 PM »
I use a 100gr point, now I notice there are 125's and on up to pretty heavy!! Can I shoot a lets say 150 gr point out of a 50# bow with a 5575 arrow? Will it even fly right? Will 100gr work ok for turkey hunting? I am confused, some one please enlighten me!! How heavy of a point can I use? thank you
There are many good moccasin tracks along the trail of a straight arrow: ( fox )

Offline blueslfb

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Confused on ,point weights??
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 08:42:00 PM »
It all depends on the spine of the arrows you intend to use.  5575 spined arrows will probably be pretty stiff for a 50# bow.  Search arrow tuning and read thru the info.  Another good source is O.L. Adocks method of bareshaft tuning.

Offline ranger 3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 09:48:00 PM »
Depending the length of the arrow, but I would guess it would take closer to 300 up front...Howard
Black widow PLX 48@28
Black widow PSRX 48@28

Offline ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 09:51:00 PM »
using 5575's you'll probably need about 400-450grs up front with a 50# bow that's cut to centre. more if it's not cut to centre. use 3555's
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Offline yekrut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2009, 10:46:00 PM »
I tried useing 3355 , they did not fly well at all. The 5575 's fly great off my set up. I just did not understand all the diffrent point weights like 150gr or 175gr , why would I need it heavier up front? I just want to get good penetration, but if 100grs is good I will stick with it. My 5575 fly great at 20 yrds for me so??
There are many good moccasin tracks along the trail of a straight arrow: ( fox )

Offline just_a_hunter

• Corporate Sponsor
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2009, 11:04:00 PM »
The more weight you can get in the front of that arrow, the better penetration you will get.

I strongly recomend you read the Ashby's research that can be found right here in the Tradgang forums on FOC and such.

I have a 30" draw, I shoot 31.5" 55/75 out of a 62# bow with 200-235 grains up front (point wieght) to get proper tune. The shorter the arrow, the stiffer the spine of your arrow.

Google "Addock arrow tuning" and read that material as well.

The different tip weights are for the sole purpose of different arrow tuning, and in some cases, bigger cutting diamiter.

Good luck. It will take some research and effort on your part, but with enough patience your effort will be rewarded.

Take care,

Todd
"Before you get down on yourself  because you don't have the things you want, think of all the things you DON'T want that you don't have."

You'll notice the "luckiest" elk hunters have worn out boots.

Offline yekrut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2009, 12:08:00 AM »
If I used wieghts tubes in my arrows then could I use a heavier point wieght?? I use a 30" arrow!!! I do not want to change arrows because what I am useing works very well!

Offline just_a_hunter

• Corporate Sponsor
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2009, 12:25:00 AM »
Here is a link for all you need to know about adding weight to arrows.  

If you read this to it's fullest, and still have questions, feel free to ask some more.

Todd
"Before you get down on yourself  because you don't have the things you want, think of all the things you DON'T want that you don't have."

You'll notice the "luckiest" elk hunters have worn out boots.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©