3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Arrow Wraps Question  (Read 194 times)

Offline GMMAT

• Trad Bowhunter
Arrow Wraps Question
« on: February 17, 2009, 09:26:00 AM »
If you use arrow wraps and fletch tape (in lieu of glue)....do you have ANY issues in replacing a single fletch?

Thanks.

ALSO....I'd be ordering from Onestringer...and wanted to know if the shaft diameter must be stated (I would think it would be paramount).

Jeff

Offline huntsfairchase

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Arrow Wraps Question
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 11:34:00 AM »
Wish I could help with the tape question. Always used fletchtite or superglue over wraps, and I've never found a way of replacing just one feather.
"Each one must find within his heart,
a quiet place where he may go.
To find himself and for a space,
drink deeply where still waters flow."

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 11:38:00 AM »
Yes you can if you only use tape.  I normally put a dab of glue on the front and back of each feather.  I have screwed up when fletching with tape before I put the glue on and was able to just pull the feather off the wrap and start over.
Dreams can not be bought; they are free to those who have lived. -Mike Mitten

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 11:49:00 AM »
Tape is the bomb on wraps.   :thumbsup:   What arrow are you wanting to wrap?
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 01:28:00 PM »
You might get lucky from time to time and get the whole feather off just leaving the tape behind but I sure wouldn't count on it.

Whenever I need to replace fletching on a wrap I just remove everything and make it new.
"The old ways will work in the future, but the new ways have never worked in the past."

Offline wharvey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2009, 11:54:00 PM »
Just made up some wrapped arrows so at this time I can't say if it is possible to replace just one but I kind of doubt it.  For my wraps I bought some vinyl at a sign makers shop. Used fetching tape with a dab of Bonnings glue front and back and they seem to work fine. Solid color but they still look sharp and cost about $3.25 per dozen.

As to the width of the wrap I think just tell Onestringer what shaft you are using and he will give you the correct wrap. For 11/64 wood shafts I cut my wraps 1-1/8.

The guy at the shop wraps his arrows with the same stuff and told me to keep the over lap to no more than a 1/16 or 1/8 or the balance will suffer. What I did was to measure the shaft diameter with a caliper, multiplied by 3.146. That gave me a very mall overlap.
Bill

Martin Howatt Hunter 35#@28"
Martin Hatfield 55#@28"
Grey Ghost 40#@28"

Offline NDTerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2009, 07:35:00 AM »
I find it easiest to just strip the wrap and fully re-flech.  Onestringer's reasonably priced wraps make this feasible, particularly the solid colors.  I keep a variety on hand...
"As Trad as I wanna be"

"It's all just archery, and all archery is good"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©