3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wood arrow making tips  (Read 397 times)

Offline sagebrush

• Trad Bowhunter
Wood arrow making tips
« on: February 17, 2009, 11:01:00 AM »
Hi All, I thought it would be informative to start a thread where everyone would post a tip or two they have learned about making wood arrows. I will start:
1. I like to let my stain dry for a few days so that when I dip in the sealer it doesn't run off into the sealer.
2. I have found that when you have a batch of arrows where some are heavier spined, take a drill and sandpaper and you can lower the spine on the heavy ones pretty fast. I start with 60 grit and work down to 120. Be careful, it can change fast. Of course you have to have a spine tester to do this. Gary

Offline KILLER B

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wood arrow making tips
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 01:16:00 PM »
Straighten by rubbing a screw driver on them.
Sticks and stones break deer bones.
One final word -Ramalamashamjam-

Offline dhaverstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 01:32:00 PM »
Before staining, I always put a mark on the ends of my arrows to indicate how I want the nock oriented with respect to the shaft's grain. If you use dark stain, it is sometimes hard to see the grain afterwards and this makes nock alignment more difficult.

Darren

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 04:01:00 PM »
Make sure your finish and glue are compatible...
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 04:42:00 PM »
If after dipping them in your sealer of choice and some are 5-10gr less, dip the lighter ones again. It will usually bring them up to the weight of the heavier ones depending on what you use for a sealer.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline Plumber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2009, 07:20:00 PM »
when useing a dip tube your lacquer will build up if you stop. the shaft will sometimes pull from my fingers due to suction causing build up it is almost impossiable to do anything about it. so I take a small drill bit an drill a hole at the very base of the shaft. then slide a finishing nail in the hole an use like a T handle .this works great an no more crappy build up.

Offline mooseman1967

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2009, 08:19:00 PM »
another tip for dipping arrows use a blue wirenut screwed onto the end of the shaft it gives you something to hold onto. the blue ones fit all size shafts and can be found at any hardware store.

Offline Old York

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2009, 10:50:00 PM »
Take the time to get the shafts  straight , especially the to-be nock end. Grind your tapers carefully with accurate angles and your nocks will be centred & truer and your points will adhere better. Pretty basic I know...but they're good basics    ;)  

Make a dip tube holder so you aren't searching for a third hand whilst everything is falling over   :scared:  

Moose that's a neat tip about the plastic nuts.
"We were arguing about brace-height tuning and then a fistmele broke out"

Offline sagebrush

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2009, 11:34:00 PM »
Old York, Pretty basic but good to be reminded. I've been making arrows for a few decades and I think we all need reminded. I also pick up new things sometimes. Everyone has a different way to do it. We can all learn, even me. Gary

Offline wharvey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2009, 12:05:00 AM »
The last shafts I made I used Tru-oil instead of gasket lacquer. Worked great. Also used wraps. Arrows came out looking better than i had hoped.

Great idea marking the nock alignment. That should make it a lot easier than hunting the grain after the other work was completed.
Bill

Martin Howatt Hunter 35#@28"
Martin Hatfield 55#@28"
Grey Ghost 40#@28"

Offline Roy Steele

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2009, 07:12:00 AM »
After staining and marking nock [grain] end a good spray on sealer is varifane.Puts on a super thin  plastic coating.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
 20 YEARS LEARNING 20 YEARS DOING  20 YEARS TEACHING
  CROOKETARROW

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2009, 10:38:00 AM »
When I was making cedars I opted to use only water based paints and poly because of a lack of good ventilation in my shop, plus I hate the solvent smells. I dipped my arrows in poly and crown dipped and crested with water based paints from Wally World. It all worked very well for me.
 If you have an arrow or 2 that don't fly just right, try putting the cock feather in and see. Many times this will fix the problem. If it doesn't, we all need more squirrel and stumping arrows.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline SCATTERSHOT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2009, 10:51:00 AM »
Another basic tip... Wait to cut your arrows after you have dipped, crested, fletched, etc. to be sure you cut them to the right length. Length is measured from the throat of the nock to the base of the point, so be sure to leave an inch or so for the point taper.
"Experience is a series of non - fatal mistakes."

Offline sagebrush

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2009, 04:32:00 PM »
Wharvey, What glue are you using to put the feathers on with when you use Tru-oil?

Great tips guys, keep it going. Gary

Online SuperK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2009, 08:45:00 PM »
Hey Sagebrush,Duco works great with Tru-oil.
They exchanged the truth of GOD for a lie,and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator-who is forever praised.Amen Romans 1:25 NIV

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2009, 08:48:00 PM »
Duco works great over Tru Oil, and it is cheap at WalMart.

Killdeer   :thumbsup:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2009, 09:24:00 PM »
TO me, its important not to be in a rush to get them done. If you rush, you'll miss something. I straighten before I start, then leave them overnight and straighten again as needed. After staining or dyeing, do it again. I check them between each step. I putthem in my cresting motor to see how they spin, then also eyeball them. I cut them about an 2" longer than the finished length so I don't waste time straightening something I'll be cutting off later. Straight arrows crest much better and evenly.
...stood alone on a montaintop, starin out at a great divide, I could go east, I could go West, it was all up to me to decide, just then I saw a young hawk flyin and my soul began to rise......

Offline NY Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Wooden Bows, Wooden Arrows and 2-Blade Broadheads
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2009, 09:54:00 PM »
If you don't have a lot of experience making arrows, don't try to make fancy ones right away. Just stick to a good basic arrow, straight and well sealed. Do a good job mounting the fletching and just go shoot. After you get good with the Plain Jane's then try some new things. Just learn how to make a good arrow first. Remember, arrows are expendable.
"Elk don't know how many feet a horse has!"
Bear Claw Chris Lapp

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2009, 10:13:00 PM »
Measure twice, cut once.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2009, 10:38:00 PM »
Use a timer to remind you when it's time to glue on another feather.  I use 15 minutes with Duco.  You will be amazed at how it speeds up the process.    :scared:
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©