3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Couple of questions about processing turkey feathers for fletching  (Read 194 times)

Offline duck'n

• Trad Bowhunter
Until I recently read the article in TBM, I completely forgot about a couple of turkey wings in my freezer from last April/May.  Will these still be good to use?  Also, I have heard that it is a good idea to treat the feathers with some sort of pesticide due to mites that can eat away at the feathers.  I searched on the Powow and How-To but can't find any info on this...does anyone know if that is true and if so, what should I use?  Other than that, I am ready to make some flectching...hopefully it will go well and my guide buddy can supply me with alot more this coming season!   :thumbsup:

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Couple of questions about processing turkey feathers for fletching
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 11:13:00 AM »
duck'n  If stored in the freezer should be good to go.
Once stored in normal inviroment I like to put a little seven dust on them. Those little mites etc. will eat holes in them sooner or later.
Ron
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Offline duck'n

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 11:39:00 AM »
Thanks macbow, that is the info I was looking for!

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 11:56:00 AM »
Freezing kills the mites.  Though mites can get into the feathers once the feathers are taken out of the freezer, I've never had a problem with them doing that on my arrows.  I do treat my feathers with a waterproofer.  Maybe that repels them.  I believe there are a few tutorials on this and other sites that explain how to process them.  Good luck.

Offline john fletch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 10:34:00 PM »
They sure can.  I left both Turkey wings that had been once frozen and dried in a plastic bag in the shop and forgot that I had them for about two years.  The little critters ate them to dust and I cannot figure out how they got in, let alone thrived in that tied off plastic bag.

Now my feathers bags have mothballs in them!
Instructor BSA NCS certified

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©