3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Have a few questions? Treestands?  (Read 1188 times)

Offline J.Nordwell

• Trad Bowhunter
Have a few questions? Treestands?
« on: January 04, 2007, 12:19:00 AM »
Well I've always been a ground guy. But I think that hunting with a recurve might be good from a treestand. I just ordered a Summit Copperhead hang-on. Now I plan on using it for deer and elk. Any tips far as placement tips. Any thoughts on my stand? Thanks
FEAR NOTHING

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Have a few questions? Treestands?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2007, 01:46:00 AM »
Summit's are very good stands, Just like the ground You use cover... brake up your outline is a must.
play the wind ....
bend at the waste...
Use a Safety Harness...

I hope this helps

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2007, 05:21:00 AM »
Make sure that you practice shooting out of your stand, or a high place that is similar. It's a whole different ball game shooting from an elevated stand. As was mentioned by mysticguido you need to bend at the waist and not just lower your bow arm for shooting down. Just lowering your bow arm will change your whole setup and cause you to shoot high.   Tree stand hunting is fun if done safely.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2007, 08:21:00 AM »
Like Mystic says, use some cover.  Either pick a tree with it or cut some limbs and tie them in above and behind you.  And definately use a harness system like a linemans belt when hanging the stand.  It allows you to use both hands while standing in the tree without danger.  Be careful, but you will have fun!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2007, 10:39:00 AM »
Hunting from up high is different.  Everybody reacts differently to being up in the air.  

I advise you to practice installing the thing on a tree while standing firmly on the ground till you figure out the "right way" to do it.  

Think about the wind as far as stand placement in an area.  

Try to stay back from the area you think the deer will come by.  Give your self at least a ten yard shot.  

Study the animals anatomy with respect to where to aim, it is different  from above.  

Try to use a set up (bow / arrow / broadhead) that gives the best penetration, trying for a pass thru.  You really want a hole in the bottom for a blood trail.  

Think about your comfort and how you need to sit / stand / draw when you place the stand in a tree.  By having the stand on the backside of the tree, you have a bit more cover....but it is harder to shoot, directly facing the proposed shoot zone may also make it a bit clumsy.  Usually  canting the stand a bit, (depending on whether you are right handed or left handed) around the tree can make things much more comfortable.  

Try to have some cover near or beyond you (as seen from the ground) so you don't show up too well,  think about how you will look if the animal is approaching from above (hill or mountainside) or across an open area if that is a possibility.  

Always put your stand up in a sturdy tree (a friend had a whole tree come down with him in it)

Wow.....and I thought this was easy.

You mentioned a stand.  How are you gonna get the stand up there  ?  Gotta start thinking about steps of some sort.  That is another post to start !

and always use a fall restraint device.
ChuckC

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©