3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: do I really need a turkey blind?  (Read 626 times)

Offline Justin Falon

• Trad Bowhunter
do I really need a turkey blind?
« on: February 17, 2009, 06:22:00 PM »
Any advice on making a ground blind for turkeys?
Hill

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: do I really need a turkey blind?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 06:57:00 PM »
Try to keep something in front and in back of you. Wait for just the right time to easy on up and draw and release just as slick as that.
   Well, thats MY plan for this spring, With my buddy filming me with my new bow. The part about stuff in front and back is true tho. I have called birds in but no good shot opp. with this technique. Good luck to you.
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline Plumber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 08:15:00 PM »
I dont want to mislead you I have not tried this on turkey but I have used it on deer . It is that camo meash .It is easy to take down an fast to set up .In the case you would have to reset on some birds.or it would work well inconjuction natural materials

Offline longbow1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 08:22:00 PM »
You will increase your odds with a blind. I won't bowhunt turkeys without one.
PBS ASSOCIATE MEMBER
NJ TRADITIONAL ARCHERS MEMBER

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 08:49:00 PM »
I 2nd longbow1. You only need it if you want to increase your success rate.
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Online fisherick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2009, 09:13:00 PM »
I've killed two birds and missed two while useing a umbreller blind. Make sure the tree behind you is wider than you.

Offline texbow2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2009, 09:40:00 PM »
I always carry some pruning snips and some zip ties painted brown in my pack. You can usually make a good blind in a matter of minutes. If I know where I want to set up I take my double bull, If I'm wandering, I build on the spot.

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2009, 09:49:00 PM »
I've found it very, very difficult to draw on a  smart old tom unless I'm in my doghouse pop up blind. I'm sure it's not impossible... but still very tough.

I've used "V" blinds (homemade) and had limited success. I also missed a big tom twice (!) from behind a multifloral rose bush one time. I had a jake decoy set up facing me at 18 steps and the big tom ran in, faced the jake and puffed up. His fan popped up between me and the back of his head. Perfect shot opportunity... and I mmmmissed.

Good luck
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2009, 10:17:00 PM »
I`ve killed a few birds out of homemade pemanent blinds in the edge of fields and one in a pop-up blind. this year I`m gonna use a Ghillie suit.RC

Offline Big Riser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2009, 10:23:00 PM »
BLIND, ON COOL DAYS THERE WARM,ON RAINY DAYS THERE DRY.I HAVE ABOUT 10 TURKEYS OUT OF MY DOUBLE BULL.I CAN STAY OUT ALL DAY LONG, WITH A LUNCH.I ALSO LIKE TO TAKE KIDS WITH ME TO HUNT AND YOU KNOW HOW THEY LIKE TO MOVE AROUND.IF I HAD TO CHOOSE BETWEEN THE THREE.FIREARMS,MY BOWS,OR MY BLIND, THE FIREARMS WOULD GO FIRST.BUT TELL MY WIFE.THAT HOW MUCH I LIKE MY BLIND.
Frank

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2009, 07:01:00 AM »

YES!

NO!
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline Roy Steele

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2009, 08:00:00 AM »
I've killed 6 turkeys under 15 yards and 4 around 20[sorry but did kill them,you harvest fruit,you kill animals at least thats how it is in WV] with my selfbows,18 others with shotguns.Blinds work good but for me there to much moveing when it comes to turkey hunting.And I like to move when I need to.This takes blinds out of the question.And there not to tradional but there good to get out of the rain.We live in the USA so you have that right if you choise.Person'ly I don't use them.
  You either have to use decoys or get a ghillie suit.I use both most of the time.I made mine almost 20 years ago.I once was crawing up to a goobler[ghillie on] that had claimed the corner of a  farm field.At about 75 yards I heard something.So I layed still a hen picked by me within a foot, headed to the gobbler.I almost graber her by the leg.I wish now that I would have.When she got there my hunt was over anyway.That would have been a great ending to my hunt.Two other times I had hens 10 feet.Get a Ghillie to can't beat it when it comes to camo.The turkeys can swear to it if they were alive.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
 20 YEARS LEARNING 20 YEARS DOING  20 YEARS TEACHING
  CROOKETARROW

Offline 44charlie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2009, 10:13:00 AM »
it is true that turkey can't see thru "screen mesh". late spring i had a hen inside 10 yards and i was behind a screen. i did head bobs and moved my hands and she was looking right at me and never spooked! like with deer hunting you need to see the bird first and try to get in position-ha! i like the flexiblity of no blind just my sheet of screen. i have one friend that lays flat on the ground but getting up is tuff!

good luck to all!

Offline Old York

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2009, 10:56:00 AM »
Do you really need a blind?

I'd say YES.

I need something to hide movement, like when I'm raising my bow arm, or roasting wood-ticks with my Bic.
"We were arguing about brace-height tuning and then a fistmele broke out"

Offline whitebuffalo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2009, 11:04:00 AM »
fnshtr,, is got it right. He placed his decoy to put some sort of sight block between him and the bird.

Using a blind is all a matter of personal options. I killed one bird from the blind and two without the blind. I prefer without. The blind is devastating to the turkey. You take away his most keen sence,,EYESIGHT,, Plan your setup, use the sun, use your decoy, use a  brushblind or popup blind to take your bird. Its all up to you and how you want to get the job done. Do some scouting and plan your hunt as best you can.

Have a safe a happy hunt,,JB
TGMM

Offline Don Thomas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2009, 11:56:00 AM »
I've killed far more turkeys with a bow without a blind(at least a commercial version of one) than with one. But when it comes to close controlled shots, a blind is a huge advantage. It's a matter of personal choice. Out west, we often have to cover a lot of ground to locate birds, and the truth is that I love hiking, getting back into shape, looking for sheds and lion kills, and glassing for bears. You miss all that when you sit in a blind all morning. And blinds have certainly leveled the playing field. Before their time, killing a gobbler with a bow was a real accomplishment; now it's just another bird. I'm not knocking blinds... they serve their purpose well and I still use them. But the birds that I kill when I'm out roaming the hills do mean more to me... Don

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2009, 12:55:00 PM »
I've called up to bow range at least 8:1 more birds Without a blind. I've killed 8:1 more birds with a blind. This is from a Southern Eastern bird perspective over 19 years. The other 4 species i shot did not spook on a blind what so ever except a Rio here and there. I'm totally over the blind craze and back to my custom seat/leafy suit and calling up birds real close   :)   which is my real drug and why i bowhunt them.
Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2009, 02:49:00 PM »
I am using one this year! LOL Like hunting in the rain and staying dry. Like being able to get away with movement. and just like staying out all day comfortable.

Hunted in one now I gotta have one for myself. Like has been said - not too trad but how much of the stuff I carry is? - besides my bow.

J
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline dan ferguson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2009, 03:39:00 PM »
Question is , do I really need a turkey blind? This is a good question that can only be answered by you. How much time do you have, how many birds are in your area, in my opinion there is not a heck of alot of difference between portable blinds and ones you make, I guess the dif would be you can move the portable one, If I had just a limited time to hunt, Id have to go with the blind, but I,m kinda like the Montana fellow so I roam around alot and have the time usually, and am blessed with lots of birds and a fairly long archery only season before shotgun takes over.

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2009, 03:41:00 PM »
One thing I thought of they will do for me is pin me down! I might not move as much if I am in a blind. I like to roam probably as much or more than most (a dog in Gene Ws article) so I need something to keep me in place.

Just a thought - if you like a blind use it - if not?

Later

J
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©