3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 3Rivers feather question  (Read 300 times)

Offline mooseman76

• Trad Bowhunter
3Rivers feather question
« on: February 17, 2009, 07:02:00 PM »
In the new 3Rivers catalog if you look at full length feathers there is an asterisk by it.  It states that Premium full lenght feathers only while supplies last.  Then, Trueflight will only sell COMMERCIAL grade.  

What does this mean?  Is there reason to believe that Commercial grade will not be to the same specs/quality as the premium feathers?  I am interested in some full length feathers after reading some of the splicing how-to and wondering what this means for future full length feathers.  Thanks...Mike

PS...I'll also be emailing 3Rivers, but thought maybe someone had an answer

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 3Rivers feather question
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 07:10:00 PM »
I was wondering the same thing.  Seems that as good a company as 3 rivers would have been more explanatory about the difference between premium and commercial, and why the change????   Let us know what you find out.
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 07:13:00 PM »
Is it just that 3Rivers will only be selling the commercial grade or that TrueFlight will be only making commercial grade?
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline mooseman76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 07:15:00 PM »
In the catalog it states "Then, Trueflight will only sell Commercial grade.  Only applies to solid colors."  I'm waiting for a response from them...Mike

Offline dino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 08:33:00 PM »
This change is direct from Trueflight.  They will no long be selling premium grade full length solid color feathers.  It is not 3Rivers.  They are only passing along and what Trueflight has sent to their distributors.  A premium grade is a feathers that you use to be able to chop a 5" and a 4" feather or two 5" cuts out of.  A commercial grade full length feather that might be a little more tatered on the tips and will produce a solid 5.5 cut with little left over.  My understanding and the sample that I saw you will get one good cut feather, nothing else.  There will be some premiums mixed in but not total premium like in the past and the price has come down to reflect the change too.  

My understanding is that Trueflight made this change due to the difficulty of filling orders of 100% premium full length feathers. dino
"The most demanding thing you can ask of a piece of wood is for it to become an arrow shaft. You reduce it to the smallest of dimension yet ask it to remain it's strongest, straightest and most durable." Bill Sweetland

Offline Paul Mattson

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2009, 08:40:00 PM »
Here is a link that explains everything.  It does not sound good, for full lenght feathers.  

http://www.3riversarchery.com//Images/Misc/TrueFlight%20Commercial%20Feather.pdf

Offline dino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2009, 09:01:00 PM »
Thanks Paul, didn't know that was out there.  I was just going off of memory.  Truely some bad new for full length feathers.  I bought a couple hundered last fall when I heard the news.  Should keep me stocked for a few years. dino
"The most demanding thing you can ask of a piece of wood is for it to become an arrow shaft. You reduce it to the smallest of dimension yet ask it to remain it's strongest, straightest and most durable." Bill Sweetland

Offline mooseman76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2009, 09:29:00 PM »
Dang, wished I had read that sooner.  I would've stocked up as well.  Thanks guys...Mike

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2009, 10:33:00 PM »
Yep.  Not only do turkeys beat the hell out of their feathers in their closely confined quarters, they're now slaughtered at such a young age that most don't have enough age to even grow respectable length primaries.  It's a shame.

Offline Teacher_of_the_Arcane

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2009, 07:18:00 AM »
Hi All,

I just bought two packages from 3Rivers for atlatl darts for the Boy Scouts project.  However, I do have a quantity of full lenght feathers my brother got for me during last goose season!!
Lobo Lohr -- Old School Hunter

Offline Gator1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2009, 07:26:00 AM »
I wonder if the older ones were all selects?

Kind of a bummer, for cutting two 4"r's...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©