3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Black Widow or RER??? Opinions please  (Read 808 times)

Offline Masham Man

• Trad Bowhunter
Black Widow or RER??? Opinions please
« on: February 18, 2009, 02:42:00 PM »
Thinking about getting another bow, but I'm torn between a used Widow PSA or TF or an RER Arroyo. I have never shot either. If anyone could compare and give an opinion it would be greatly appreciated.
Daniel

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Black Widow or RER??? Opinions please
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 03:07:00 PM »
Both bows are good choices. It comes down to if you like the grip and buying used if you can get the poundage you are looking for. I have a BW maII @51# and a RER t/d that is 44#, I like them both. Both bows are different but excellent in their own way. You can't go to wrong with either!!   Good luck in your search.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 03:28:00 PM »
Im a liitle partial to BW. I have another one on the way in about 6 weeks. I have heard ALOT of great things about RER though.
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline gak

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009, 03:53:00 PM »
I've never shot a BW so I can't comment about them but I owned a RER takedown and they are an excellent bow.

Greg

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009, 04:22:00 PM »
If you want performance and good looks buy the RER. I have owned several of each and still own 3 RERs. The only thing the Widow has the advantage in is the re-sale value(due to the name). The RER will be quicker and quieter and Kevin and Sue will work with you to get any grip ya want with a ton of choices for woods. Shawn
Shawn

Offline sswv

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2009, 05:08:00 PM »
hey Daniel!  I love both. BW and RER are GREAT when it comes to customer satisfaction. if you're a guy that likes to shoot one for a while and then swap it, go with the Widow. best resale hands down and it's not just the name but the reputation. as for the RER being quicker or quieter...I own both right now and have had 6 RER's and 5 BW's in the last few years and they're VERY close in either department. I have a chrono and have shot both makes thru many times and there's not enough difference to matter.

bottom line.....buy whichever one appeals best to YOU. it's you and ONLY you that has to be happy.

either way, have a blast shooting.

:archer:

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2009, 05:51:00 PM »
I have 2 of each of the bows you are asking about. PSA's have the most mass weight and being 3 piece are the most packable for road trips. TF's are my current go to hunting bows, RER Arroyos have less mass weight than both TF's and PSA's. I like recurves with brace heights of 7 3/4" or more. Both BW's and RER Arroyos are bows that fit me. Both have great customer service.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2009, 06:02:00 PM »
I want to clarify my position on these bows. I am in no way bashing Widows, they are great bows in their own right. I have owned at least 10 of them. I just like RER bows better. If ya want a Widow I can say this without a doubt, their TF is their best performer and the bow is pretty much bomb-proof! Shawn
Shawn

Offline sswv

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2009, 06:46:00 PM »
I agree 100% with Shawn!  I've put my Widow thru the stuff and it still performs great. even read where a fellow had his Widow run over by his guides pick-up and went on to take a warthog with it an hour later. on another note, I have used my RER for a walking stick with no problem. these are my go to bows. I've had 2 TF's and if a one piece is your cup of tea...it's the performer in the Widow line-up.

hey' I have an idea.  BUY BOTH!    :thumbsup:

Offline Precurve

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2009, 07:14:00 PM »
RER makes some great bows, but their Arroyo is in a class by itself.  Kevin will tell you it's probably his best shooting bow.

Offline wihill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2009, 07:19:00 PM »
I haven't shot that particular model of Widow, but I can agree with the statements regarding the RER Arroyo series.  An incredible level of craftsmen-ship goes into those bows, and even the basic models are suprizingly quick for what you expect.  Apples to Apples comparison would be difficult without both present side by side, but after visiting with Kevin and Sue and shooting the bows in their basement I would not hesistate to recommend an RER bow to anyone.

The 54" shoots like a 58" - you are warned.  :D  

Personally I perfered the Vortex series handle over the Arroyo, but if you're interested in the performance of the Arroyo and the slim pointable grip of the Vortex, look at their new takedown.  It offers the best of both worlds.
Support the sport!

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2009, 07:23:00 PM »
I have Kevins first 54" Arroyo, this bow is smooth to 31"s. It does not pinch even at that draw and it does not start to stack until than. It is smokin' fast and quiet as a churchmouse. The funny thing is it is very similar to the Widow TF but just a notch up in looks and performance. It is my go to bow and will come to Canada this spring for my first bear hunt, my back-up will be my RER XR just as quick and even prettier! Daniel, ya cannot go wrong with either bow, if I were you I would look for a used one of each, I bet ya could get both for around $900 or so and that is about the cost of a decked out RER and a little cheaper than a new widow!! Now that would be my way of going about it!  :bigsmyl:   Shawn
Shawn

Offline maxwell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2009, 09:54:00 PM »
I have several of each and last year all I used was the RER TD for hunting- also used it in archery league-  just got a real looker widow psa TD  extra dark grey no red phenolic real nice.  planning to use it 56" off the ground.  Widow has more mass weight both are real shooters
To be honest I am not sure what I would do- still kind of partial to the RER.  The arroyo will be light in the hand, something to consider.

Bill

Offline BMG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2009, 10:06:00 PM »
I have never shot a BW, so no comment.

The RER t/d that I used to own was an awesome shooter.  Pulled very very smooth.  Super quiet, even at a 3D shoot a buddy of mine commented multiple time at how quiet that bow was.  and it hit targets hard.

Offline Masham Man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2009, 08:15:00 AM »
Thanks guys for all the great replies. I still haven't made up my mind. I was leaning towards a 58" arroyo, but if the 54" is just as forgiving I might go with that. If any of you have pics of your TF or Arroyo could you post them. Thanks
Daniel

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2009, 11:07:00 AM »
I have to agree with Shawn L. as far as getting a used bow, 2 RER's can be had for the price of one of the "big name" bows. Buy 2 in different # and lenghts and see what you like.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline huntswithwidow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2009, 12:36:00 PM »
I would go with the Widow PSA. It is a great all around bow, mobile for hunting and great for target shooting too.

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2009, 01:23:00 PM »
TFTFTFTFTF

Offline Hartlines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2009, 01:57:00 PM »
I've been shooting the Vortec this past year and recently received my new LXR. It shoots great   and the craftsmanship is 2nd to none!! You'll never get to know or deal with a nicer family!!

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2009, 08:48:00 PM »
posting pics of Arroyo and Black Widow TF          

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©