3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ordering a Bow? Measuring bow draw weights, a new one I have not heard before..  (Read 500 times)

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
How do you all measure the draw weight of a bow? For example, you have a bow that measures 50#@28", explain how you would check that...

I had a conversation with a bowyer who does it in a way I had not heard of before. It makes sense but is not the norm as far as I know.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
Since I don't have a bow scale I have a heavy rope attached to the rafters and hang the bow by the handle.  I use an S hook on the string attached to a large WW2 ammo box and I fill the box with lead ingots (I reload) until it draws 28" from the string to the back measured with a tape.  I then weigh the box on a floor scale.

I did one a few months ago and I got 65# and droptine59 measured it with his bow scale and got 63#.  Pretty close.

Now what's your method? Don't make us wait.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
It is not my method, but a bowyer's method. So how does this sound?

You pull the bow string typically with 3 fingers, right? So what he does is pulls the string with a block of wood shaped like 3 fingers to 28" on the arrow, and takes the weight measurement. This is in place of the typical "S" hook on the nock point of the string.

So what happens is, because your fingers are wider than that single "s" hook on the nock point, the limbs must flex more to get to 28" and thus the bow will register more draw weight with the block than the "s" hook.

So what do you think?? Is this normal or unusual? Now, in ordering a bow, I have to guess what the deviation may be so he hits my draw weight...kind of different.

This is only if my assumption is correct in that most standard practice is using the "S" hook at the nocking point when pulling the string.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
Yep, most bowyers use some sort of a setup that holds the bow in place and then draw it with a hook tied to a rope, which is in turn tied to a spring scale.  Sometimes just the spring scale S hook is affixed to the string and pulled.  How much the weight measured that way will vary from the weight one would get by drawing with two or three fingers depends on bow length, design, weight and probably a few other things.  In short, it doesn't amount to a hill of beans difference.

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
I draw mine with a spring scale, which has a single hook.  I normally draw to 1/2" past the desired mark to account for the three fingered draw.  Is it the correct way?  I don't know, but it makes sense to me.
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
I thought it was odd because a bow marked 60# is 54# on a "s" hooked scale. This is what he said accounted for the difference. So, I want a 50 lb bow, not a 46# bow...so what do I order? Kind of different.

Offline brill16hockey

• Trad Bowhunter
:0)

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
When I draw mine 1/2" past it only adds one pound.  :)
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline razorback

• Trad Bowhunter
What differences do some of you guys get. Does it make that much difference or are we splitting hairs.  I would think that if the 50# bow feels and shoots good, whats it matter if it is measured with a hook or a gizmo.
Keep the wind in your face and the sun at your back.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
someone will have a differeent idea then the next guy.I do use a block of wood the width and shape of my 3 fingers on the S hook of my bow scale.Yes it will make the bow scale read a little higher then the S hook does.I've never seen one like you mentioned gaining 6 pounds using a block.1-2 pounds is about normal with the block.Your only drawing the bow 1/2-1 inch longer with the block.bd

Offline R H Clark

• Trad Bowhunter
I would think that even with the block your bowyer mentioned you shouldn't get more than 2 lbs difference.

Keep in mind that not all scales read the same. Some bowyers also sometimes fudge a little if they miss weight.Instead of building another bow they just mark it as desired.Most bowyers also only guarantee within 3 lbs.Add that to any difference in scales and you could get a 5-6 pound difference.

Offline Gerry

• Trad Bowhunter
AMO std. measure the weight from the deepest part of the handle to 26 1/4" if my memory is right.  That should negate the differnece since you now have a fixed reference - all in all if 2 lbs of draw weight makes that much differnece I cannot see it.  Good arrow flight is more important so it does nor matter what weight it is marked.

Offline Bill Howland

• Trad Bowhunter
Overspined,

Sometimes the guy building your bow knows more than you?   "[dntthnk]"
I was ready to post a long explanation of how to measure draw weight. But decided it would only confuse the issue and deleted it.
If this is a big deal to you, why not ask your bowyer to measure the bow weight the way you want it measured? I'll bet you a dollar he'll do that for you especially when you tell him your concerns.

Offline Tree man

• Trad Bowhunter
The differences should be very small-single point hooked on string compared to a three finger wide block. Your bowyer's method is fine but, unless the bow in question is extremely short, his weight variance explanation  is awfully leaky.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
Overspined, if a bow marked 60# scales out to 54# with the S hook, a six pound difference, one of two things is happening.  The bow is mismarked and/or the scale is off.  There's just not that much difference between a scale and finger hold.

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
thanks for all the input! I think I will just ask that he measure as I am used to. Basically, shouldn't there be a standard? That is what I was getting at. Why would each bowyer measure differently, regardless of scale being slightly off? Just seems that if I like a bow of a specific weight range, I should not ever have to guess how that weight is measured. That is all. Keep it simple, you know? I do think there is a big difference in how my release is between a bow in the 50# range vs the 40# range. Heavier bows tend to help rip the string out of my fingers for a cleaner release. So, I really WANT a bow the weight I ask for per the "standard" I am used to experimenting with...

Offline Mike Mecredy

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
I have a digital scale hard attached to the wall with the hook down, I put the string in the hook and draw the bow down until the back of the riser (the part away from the shooter) gets to a mark on the wall indicating the desired draw length. I look at the scale and record the indicated poundage, then a recheck a few times. I thought about the block of wood with a curve and string groove to simulate 3 fingers but a block of wood is rigid and people's fingers aren't, so that wouldn't help any.  The hook works fine, I don't think anyone would want to split hairs over the draw wieght being a few onces off depending if its done by fingers or an 's' hook.
TGMM Family of the bow
USAF, Retired
A.C.B.C.S.

Offline grizz

• Trad Bowhunter
I have a question for Mad dog, if you hang the bow by the string aren't you adding the physical weight of the bow too? I always hang the bow on a steel peg, by the deepest part of the grip, then I will pull to 26 and one quarter inches, (which equals 28" of draw). I then use a loop of 1" mule tape hooked around the string (spread apart to simulate 3 finger spread) and hooked on the S of the scale. The scale is hooked to a ratchet strapped rope which I can pull down with my foot. I stop at the 28" mark and the ratchet keeps it there till I release it again. I do a draw force curve also, stopping at each inch of draw, and recording the weight. My bows are usually delivered to the exact pound of draw weight at the requested draw. Mike
mike

Offline Mike Mecredy

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Grizz, I got all that factored in.
TGMM Family of the bow
USAF, Retired
A.C.B.C.S.

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Grizz, If you hang the bow by the string, you will indeed record the weight of the bow.  However, the weight of the bow will also draw the string the equivalent amount.  By hanging the scale from the string, you are also weighing the scale, but again drawing the bow the equivalent amount.  Both ways work and with the same bow and scale, you will get the same reading.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©