3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Recurve shooters  (Read 676 times)

Offline Schultzy

• Trad Bowhunter
Recurve shooters
« on: February 19, 2009, 01:24:00 PM »
I'm looking Into buying a new recurve by spring. My older recurve has had better days so I figure I better get another one In case mine don't make It. Either way this new recurve will be my main hunting bow eventually, a good chance of It being this year. I like my recurve's In a higher draw weight, In that 70lb range. What's all out there In a heavier pound range?

Thanks In advance everyone!!

Offline Grant Young

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Recurve shooters
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 01:30:00 PM »
Steve- You didn't say whether your were looking for a production bow or a "custom". Martin should be able to accomodate you in the production line and virtually any of the custom bowyers should be more than agreeable to building you a seventy pounder. You may find fewer if you get into the really heavy weights but they are around. Denny Sturgis has been shooting Black Widows in the 80-95 pound range for a while as have a few others. Give the maker of the bow you are interested in a call, you'll probably be pleasently surprised.         Grant

Offline Schultzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 01:51:00 PM »
Thanks Grant. I would prefer a production bow but I'm guessing In order to get In that 70lb range I'll have to go the custom route. Are these Custom bows a tad more cash?

Offline mooseman76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 02:19:00 PM »
Schultzy, there are so many bows out there in so many different price ranges you could go either way.  Best bet is to list some of the qualities you want in the bow and what you'd like to spend and you'll get tons of ideas here.  Another option is to keep your eye on the classifieds.  Lots of great deals on there...Mike

Offline Larry247

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 02:34:00 PM »
I wouldn't over look the Bob Lee's.

They make some fine bows.
A trophy is in the eye of the beholder.

Offline JCJ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2009, 02:40:00 PM »
Look for a used Howatt Hunter.

Offline Grant Young

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2009, 02:43:00 PM »
As a general rule you'll pay a little more for a custom bow but I'd take the term "custom" with a grain of salt. While most offer a fairly wide range of riser woods and veneers to choose from, the designs are usually what they are in regard to the actual finished product- a basic handle shape and design, shelf height, etc. Some, like Morrison and Blackwidow offer different grips from which you may choose and some, like Border Bows of Scotland and Blackwidow here in the U.S. will offer to duplicate the grip of your current favorite and incorporate it into their basic design. You can find custom models available for around $500.00 to $600.00 up to $1500.00 or there abouts. I would recommend that you look long and hard at what's out there. Even though I don't own or shoot a Martin I think they are definitely worth looking into if actual value -quality, warrenty, performance weighed against cost- is a determining factor in your final selection. Seventy pounds is really not that heavy and most bowyers or production companies would turn one out for you. You might also talk with the folks at Bob Lee- I consider them excellent bows, especially for the money. and Bob Lee has been building great recurve bows as long as anyone around with the possible exception of Owen Jeffery. Seventy pounds will have a smaller market should you decide you don't like the bow you buy, especially in light of the fairly recent trend toward lighter bows, so I would suggest you actually handle and shoot as many bows as possible before you settle. Even if they are lighter than your ideal setup you can decide if you like the way it feels to you and simply order a heavier draw weight. The bows I mentioned only scratched the surface of what is available currently and represent what I think are good values. There are more bows to choose from right now than I can recall in over forty years of traditional archery. Good luck.BTW- you might check our classifieds as well as those on other sites.        Grant

Offline elkbreath

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2009, 02:44:00 PM »
Keep on eye on the classifieds for a few weeks.  You'll likely find a very good deal from a stand up guy.  

Used howatt at 70#, tough bow to beat for the price-$200

for $500-ish you could buy a real nice used custom.
77# @ 29.5 r/d longbow homer
80# @ 29.5 GN super Ghost

Online Ybuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2009, 04:06:00 PM »
have you checked out the Predator by Pitsley.
Steve.

Offline D. Devall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2009, 08:37:00 PM »
check out the sheepieter. REALY cool custom bow, my friend has one, and you should be able to get one at that weight.

Offline Bob Sarrels

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2009, 08:45:00 PM »
We could help.
Now then, get your weapons ~ your quiver and bow ~ and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.  Gen. 27.3

Offline gsdmikko

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2009, 08:02:00 AM »
go to the classified ads here and post a
"WTB" ad of what your looking for( what hand/poundage/draw length ect...) I'm sure you'll get a few hits..good luck  :cool:
Follow Your Dreams
" It's better to die Livin'
  Than live Dyin "

Offline Schultzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2009, 08:48:00 AM »
Good Idea James, thanks!!

Offline hawgslayer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2009, 11:49:00 AM »
:campfire:  

Go to bobleearchery.com. Once your there click on bows and the bows ready to ship. I just seen a PRO HUNTER RECURVE either 70 or 71# range for $555.00. These are brand new bows but the line is discontinued and come with a warranty.
I have a custom built Bob Lee HUNTER T/D and I've taken 5 deer in the last 2 seasons with it. I could say only good things about the bow in craftsmanship and performance.
Good luck..........   :archer:

If you go there to look make sure you look at all the prices that are in red. Some of the bows are short 58"s and some are in the 60" range.
HAWGSLAYER

07 BOB LEE HUNTER 49#'S
09 MARTIN 48#'s
CVA ACCURA 50 CAL.
BL/STAINLESS
SEMPER FI

Keep your feathers dry and your nose in the wind and become the predator that we really are.

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2009, 02:00:00 PM »
Check out Fox Archery bows.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline Ia Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2009, 03:10:00 PM »
Try Quinn bows. New stallion around $250. Hell of a bow !!!!!

Offline shortstroke 91

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2009, 09:59:00 PM »
I'll second the Quinn. I got my Stallion Classic a week ago and she's the smoothest bow I ever shot and dead in the hand. 47# at my 28" 60" long, fast and quiet. Shipped to me just under $300. Puts them right where I look, best groups ever. Wish I'd gotten her sooner.
shortstroke 91
TBOT Life Member

"BLOOD MAKES THE GRASS GROW"

Offline Old York

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2009, 11:31:00 PM »
Quinn Stallion

:)    :archer:    :)
"We were arguing about brace-height tuning and then a fistmele broke out"

Offline groyce

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2009, 02:36:00 PM »
I've got a 68# Bighorn T/D I might be interested in parting with. In excellent shape.

Offline BowHuntingFool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2009, 03:00:00 PM »
Steve O, I hear nothing but great things about the Mojo Stik!!!!!!!!
>>>---Joe Bzura---->

Big River Longbow 66" 52# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 66" 47# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 62" 52# @ 28"
Big River Recurve 60" 48# @ 28"
NewWood Longbow 58" 45# @ 28"

Wisconsin Traditional Archers
      Ojibwa Bowhunters

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©